Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 15 Feb 11 1:31pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Portuguese Recipes

Hi all, as promised Im gonna post a few traditional portuguese recipes. I have already posted this recipe but here it goes again and since fish is becoming popular over there I thought we'd give it a "fresh start". Its very simple to make. It takes a bit of time to prepare the ingredients but the proceedures are simple.
Serves 4
-3 tablespoons of oliveoil
-2 cloves of garlic sliced thin
- 3 or 4 tomatoes, depending on size sliced
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 8 to 10 potatoes sliced about 1 cm thick
- 2 green peppers deseeded and sliced
- 1 red pepper desseded and sliced
- as to fish most will do except fat ones like salmon and alike and also thin ones like sole or turbot, so get about 1 to 1.5 Kg of fish and slice it about 1.5cm thick.

I wouldnt recommend mackerel, but squid for example works great and if you prefer you can use squid alone instead of fish. Just make sure its thinly sliced.

After all the ingredients are set to go, put the olive oil in a pan then do layers, so start with the onions and garlic, then potatoes, peppers, tomato and fish, add another layer and so forth unitll you´ve used up all the ingredients. Cover with a lid. Do not use water, wine or any other liquids. Turn on the stove, low to medium heat and let it cook for about 20 mins. What I do is pinch the potatoes with a toothpick, when they´re cooked, everything else is too.
Finish it with some chopped coriander.
Another version - the fishermen's one - doesnt use potatoes but uses fried slices of bread instead. If you prefer that just fry some bread slices in veg oil for a couple of mins till golden. Put them in the serving plate, then pour the Caldeirada over it.

Piri piri is usually a must have with Caldeirada. And of course a young and vibrant white wine or even better Vinho Verde. Enjoy!

P.S. - I'll keep posting some more.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 15 Feb 11 2:06pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Portuguese Recipes

Vinho Verde Caldeirada

thumbsup  thumbsup I like the sound of these words, uttering them is already an appetizer, then I would smell the air when you open the pan to control if it's ready ......... and sit and eat and chat and laugh

thanks for sharing Sergio big_smile

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Tue 15 Feb 11 2:07pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 15 Feb 11 6:38pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

My pleasure Grand Ma. I have to say that you certainly "have" the spirit of Caldeirada. Cause sitting, eating, chatting and laughing is indeed what Caldeirada is all about! big_smile  wink

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 16 Feb 11 7:25pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

Stuffed Squid, serves 4:

8 medium squid
3 big tomatoes
1 chouriço, or chorizo
1 green pepper
2 onions
2 cloves garlic
olive oil
1/2 glass Moscatel or white wine
200 ml fish or shrimp stock
parsley
1 bay leaf

start by cleaning the squid or ask your fishmonger to do it. Make sure you keep the tentacles.
Chop in tiny bits the tentacles, the chouriço, 1 clove garlic, 1 onion, the green pepper. Sauté all of these in a frying pan with olive oil for 3 or 4 minutes. Pour the Moscatel or white wine to flambé. Cook a few mins till the alcohol is evaporated. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Use this mix and stuff the squid. When finished you can use a toothpick to close the squids.
In the meantime make a tomato sauce with the tomatoes, onion, garlic, bay. Remove the bay leaf and pour the sauce in a blender.
Pour this sauce in a pan, add the stock and the squids and cook in low heat for about 15 mins or untill cooked.
Finish with chopped parsley or coriander.
Serve with mashed potatoes or white rice. Enjoy!

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 16 Feb 11 8:15pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

I love that recipe!!!

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 16 Feb 11 8:55pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

That sounds delicious, Sergio.  I'm always looking for a new way to do squid since I only have a very few.  Think I might try that for Friday when our dinner guest comes by.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 18 Feb 11 3:03pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

Thanks!!!
I made the following recipe this week for dinner. I cant call it a traditional recipe but its full of portuguese flavours so here goes:

Poached Grouper with Moscatel

4 portions of grouper - other kinds of fish will work of course, preferably fillets
150/200 ml fish or shrimp stock
1/2 glass Moscatel or other sweet wine
1 clove garlic
2 cloves
3 cardamoms pierced
olive oil
s+p

Heat some olive oil in a pan, add the garlic, cloves and cardamom and fry for 1 minute to allow the fragrances to combine with the oil.
Add the wine and cook for a minute till it evaporates. Add the stock and the fish and cook in low/medium heat. I used portions of about 200 grs each and it took me about 10/12 mins to cook.
If thats the case cook for about 5 mins, then flip them and cook for another 5 or 6 mins.
Make sure not to overcook. For my taste, overcooked fish is a waste shocked

Finish with chopped parsley. You can either serve it with boiled potatoes or white rice.
I'd recommend a white wine with a touch of wood, or a young red with reasonable acidity. Enjoy thumbsup

P.S. - if you have stock made this recipe will take very little time to prepare which makes it to fit in the "30 min meals" category wink

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 18 Feb 11 5:07pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Do you eat breads with meals in Portugal ?
It's not something that done so much here in but the Uk but when I have been in France or Italy bread is always served at the table with the meal .

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 18 Feb 11 5:26pm

guestaurant

Member since Fri 18 Feb 11

I cooked baby octopus in red wine a couple of weeks ago. It is a recipe from the Acores Islands and is called; Polvo guisado à moda dos Açores, which stands for Octopus Stew, Azores Style. I am cracking with my Portuguese smile

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 18 Feb 11 5:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

That's good , do add some portugese recipes to this thread  thumbsup

Likes (0)