Jamie Oliver

forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 05 Mar 11 8:48pm

incawill

Member since Thu 03 Mar 11

Recipe for Gumbo or??... help greatly appreciated ..

Ok, after 30 years of living in the UK i now find myself living in  Peru and yes I'm blessed with this countries culinary delights and have a beautiful girlfriend.

I enjoy cooking though with limited skills and a few weeks ago my girlfriend Carmen and myself cooked a "sancochado" (a hearty Peruvian soup) which was fairly easy to make and went down really well with Carmen's family. I would like to repeat this feat but with a non Peruvian "soup" and came up with the idea of Gumbo. Any good recipes (can't find okra here) or any other ideas or recipes with whom i can impress her family.

Thanks!!    big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 06 Mar 11 1:57am

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Re: Recipe for Gumbo or??... help greatly appreciated ..

Here's one from one of my Cajun cookbooks that we make every once and awhile.  It's really good but it's been awhile since we've made it - mainly because the local shrimp and crab here are kind of expensive lately.  Oh, and I don't use as much oil or flour as it calls for - I just use 1/2 cup of each.  This is how it's written in the cookbook though:

Shrimp and Crab Gumbo

3/4 cup of oil
3/4 cup of flour
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
4 cups of water
Salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste (I start with 1/4 tsp each and then usually add more cayenne, depending on who is eating with us)
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
1 pound crab meat
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped green onion tops

Make a dark brown roux with oil and flour.  Add the bell pepper, oinon and celery and cook until onions are transparent.

Gradually add the water and continue cooking for at least one hour.

Adjust seasoning to taste and add shrimp, crab, parsley and green onion tops.  Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked.

Serve over rice in bowls.

Makes 6-8 servings.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 06 Mar 11 3:15am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

That is what we in Louisiana call a Winter Gumbo. You can make it without the roux and it is a Summer Gumbo.  We also you what is called Gumbo File' (prounounced feel ay). It's dried and ground sassafrass leaves.  We add that at the end..about 1 to 2 tablespoons.  If you like okra you can use that as a thickening agent instead of the roux.  The above recipe we would call a stew, it's only a gumbo when we add the File'.

Also, you can add any meat. I usually use shrimp and andouille but if the shrimp is too expensive I use chicken.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 06 Mar 11 3:00pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
From North Carolina, USA

cohphanta wrote:

That is what we in Louisiana call a Winter Gumbo. You can make it without the roux and it is a Summer Gumbo.  We also you what is called Gumbo File' (prounounced feel ay). It's dried and ground sassafrass leaves.  We add that at the end..about 1 to 2 tablespoons.  If you like okra you can use that as a thickening agent instead of the roux.  The above recipe we would call a stew, it's only a gumbo when we add the File'.

Also, you can add any meat. I usually use shrimp and andouille but if the shrimp is too expensive I use chicken.

I'm glad you posted this cohphanta.   clap   I was wondering why it was called a gumbo in my cookbook because I used to think gumbo always had okra in it but now I know it's the file that makes it gumbo.  So, thank you!  I'm going to try it next time without the roux and use okra instead.  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 06 Mar 11 4:53pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

The recipe I have is very much like that, using okra, but mine has tomato in it.  It's from a woman in Mobile, AL though, not Louisiana.  Coco is that traditional, or not?

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 06 Mar 11 8:41pm

incawill

Member since Thu 03 Mar 11

Okra....... I can't seem to find any where i live so is there an alternative? Or shall i look harder and thanks for the help so far, much appreciated   cool

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 06 Mar 11 8:48pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

If you're in the US, check the freezer section if you can't find it fresh.  It will do fine frozen if you're using it in gumbo.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 06 Mar 11 10:11pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
From North Carolina, USA

incawill wrote:

Okra....... I can't seem to find any where i live so is there an alternative? Or shall i look harder and thanks for the help so far, much appreciated   cool

You don't have to use okra.  Just leave it out.  wink

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 07 Mar 11 12:07am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

nanstertoo wrote:

The recipe I have is very much like that, using okra, but mine has tomato in it.  It's from a woman in Mobile, AL though, not Louisiana.  Coco is that traditional, or not?

There are different gumbos depending on the region.  In the area I come from we don't use tomatos in our gumbos, but the New Orleans and Central Louisiana ares do.  Just like we have different dialects of french we have different recipes for gumbo, jambalaya, stews, etc. We call the dishes with tomato in them creole.  Cajun and Creole dishes are very similar, have the same names, but have a few ingredients different.  Cajun food is usually not as spicey as Creole. 
As for the okra, you don't need it (you may find it in the freezer section).  I don't like it so I never use it.

Likes (0)