Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 17 Nov 10 2:57am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Re: My child will prob be kicked out of school my rant to principal:

Hmm, yes, it does just sound all wrong.  I guess it's as Denise said, too: the schools will keep doing it so long as they can get away with it, because they make money from it.  Bleugh.

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 22 Dec 10 11:10am

SmellyCat

Occupation Musician, arts admin
From Birmingham, UK
Member since Wed 22 Dec 10

I remember when Jamie did his programme in American schools, they made his serve French fries with his healthy pasta meal, as apparently the veggies in the sauce didn't count as the mandatory portion of vegetables. But the salty, fatty chips did count! Clearly, some beurocrats somewhere have had a logic bypass.

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 22 Dec 10 1:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

danavanhove wrote:

Both.  We can't make nor can we bring store bought goodies in.

This is probably because of children that have allergies, many store bought cakes etc that people buy to be taken in to school for their childrens birthdays might have been made in an area which has had something to do with nuts ( for example) if a child is allergic to nuts then this is enough to set off a severe allergic reaction...they don't need to eat the nuts , it very often only needs a minute trace of them to cause a problem.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 22 Dec 10 1:17pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

cengland wrote:

Hmm, yes, it does just sound all wrong.  I guess it's as Denise said, too: the schools will keep doing it so long as they can get away with it, because they make money from it.  Bleugh.

I don't think the schools do make money from the lunches.
Don't forget that the lunch money not only goes towards the food, but also employing the staff, maintaining the kitchen etc etc.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 22 Dec 10 1:17pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

SmellyCat wrote:

I remember when Jamie did his programme in American schools, they made his serve French fries with his healthy pasta meal, as apparently the veggies in the sauce didn't count as the mandatory portion of vegetables. But the salty, fatty chips did count! Clearly, some beurocrats somewhere have had a logic bypass.

I know..that did seem absurd !

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 29 Jan 11 6:36pm

lktri@hotmail.c

Member since Sat 29 Jan 11

I HAVE BEEN EMAILING THE DISTRICT'S DIRECTOR OF FOOD SERVICE!  THIS IS ONE OF MY EMAILS AND HIS LATEST RESPONSE.  SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.  WHAT CAN I DO NEXT TO CHANGE THE MEALS??????????????????  HELP!
THIS IS MY EMAIL AND AFTER IS HIS REPLY
"I am happy to hear that you purchase your foods locally when possible.
We also do the same.
I belong to a CSA and we purchase most of our chickens, eggs, and pork from local farmers.
Would integrating some of our local farmer's products be possible?
Has this ever been visited?
The following is an example of the farm really arriving to the child's plate.
Also, this may help eliminate the protein from TYSON  in the
nugget, popcorn, and dog shape.  As well
as, offer fresh potato or veggie option instead of a curly fry, tator tot, hashbrown or canned veg.
I truly appreciate your expertise in this area and am an enthusiastic mom in regard to
teaching our children the importance of eating healthy and simple foods.
Thanks!
REPLY..............................................................................................................We continue to look at ways we can do this but we face many obstacles.
First, most of our protein (beef, chicken,pork,eggs) is 100% provided to us from the government. They allow us to give this product to several approved processors, Tyson being one, to make into different products for us. These are all specifically manufactured for use in school nutrition programs or called CN labeled products. These are all very high quality and not at all like the similar products that are out there. To purchase other products and not fully utilize these is not currently cost effective.

Secondly, federal law requires that anyone we purchase from comply with all the federal food handling and safety standards. Many farmers when confronted with this red tape are unwilling to jump thru the necessary hoops.

Thirdly, we need to be concerned about liability. All of our suppliers have very large coverage in the event of someone becoming ill from some tainted food. Farmers in most cases are unwilling to carry that degree of coverage. In order to protect ourselves, the district would have to greatly increase it's liability coverage, thus greatly increasing premiums to us.

And lastly many logistical hurdles need to dealt with, including the purchasing processes, food handling, delivery, additional prep time etc.

It's a very difficult issue, and trust me we are all working incredibly hard to constantly improve our program. As you can see while the government is asking us to improve our meals in reality they are the biggest obstacle in doing so. Again please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Joe Class
Director of Food Service
Kettle Moraine Schools

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 29 Jan 11 6:56pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

If we had an idea of where you lived, we might be able to advise you.  In my area the county is very involved in what schools serve students and if I have a problem with what goes into school lunches, I can talk to my representative and also attend county supervisor meetings.  Luckily, I live in a place where food is very important to lots of people and many stress healthy eating in schools.  As a result, I've seen our school lunch change from something I wouldn't throw to the chickens to meals I would eat myself.  Hang in there.
PS Please don't type in caps.  You sound like your yelling at us.

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 17 Apr 11 5:34pm

L.E.F.

Member since Fri 23 Apr 10

I agree. I'm in school, and they just shut down all our bakesales. I'm really mad because not only was that food all homemade and better then the school stuff, but all of the profits also funded our Prom.
Some things in the school system are so out of wack.

Likes (0)