forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#171 Sun 17 Apr 11 12:27pm

WheelieFoodChik

Occupation ex-Avon Representative(though not for long, I hope), Online Student
From Rocky Mount, NC, United States
Member since Sat 05 Jun 10

Re: What to seed, what to plant, what to reap, any questions for me?

RobinMcaf wrote:

Hi WheelieFoodChik,

Wow - you are unstoppable! What progress.

Ok:

1.) Yes it sounds like your swiss chard and eggplant have bolted - with the swiss chard take the flowers off asap - the leaves may still be usable. It is quite normal for plants to bolt as the seasons change - it happens particuarly in spring with the change of temperature and light. Also drought can cause a plant to bolt.

With the eggplant don't worry and don't remove any flowers or forthcoming fruit!

2.) The white fuzz is mould - it can damage seedlings - and it's usually a result of overwatering or too much heat. Keep the plants well ventilated - and maybe a little less water? If the problem gets much worse - remove and start again.

3.) How about a chilli plant?

All best, Robin

Robin,
Unstoppable? Eh, more like..."Mad Scientist crazy" lol
I went back to Aerogrow's customer service page and it confirmed what you said...mold! What happened was I kept the little grow domes on too long and it made the seed pod humid so mold set up. My snap pea was the only plant that survived the mold removal. The other pea turned to a gloppy mess after the seed coat came off and the zucchini rotted, so I started over(sans grow domes, this time).

Speaking of redos, I think that old swiss chard has gotta go because I suspect bugs. I keep seeing tears in the leaves and translucent spots like something is trying to make holes in them. My bell peppers that are in the same unit has buds dropping off. I pruned it, so that the taller of my pepper plants could keep going. When my tomato and 2nd eggplant gets some age on them, I'll prune those back too. After the trim, I broke out the Safer insecticide spray and gave the vegetables a quick spritz. It's what Aerogrow says to use and it's supposed to be safe for organic gardening. Just for the record, what do swiss chard flowers look like?

About the chilli idea...way ahead of you! I got jalepenos going too big_smile Although, I just thought of a kinda evil gardening prank...I wonder how many gardeners have grown these peppers: http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/store … ;next.y=27 and then told some poor rube, "Here, have a carrot!" evil  whistle   lol  I think the reaction would be the following: shocked *Gasping, Coughs*..."Oh, my *Spitting*...What in the hell?!" Hilarious, right? clap  I'm just kidding! I wouldn't actually do somebody like that!

Getting back on point...ahem. Aerogrow has raised the price on Aero 3's to $100 but I found a black one on Amazon.com for $55, so I got it(and a mini desk fan for circulation). I'll move the strawberries to this one along with the grapes I'm trying.  crossed  A cucumber will go next to the snap pea. Scarely a spot wasted thumbsup

Last edited by WheelieFoodChik (Sun 17 Apr 11 12:29pm)

Likes (0)

#172 Mon 18 Apr 11 9:55am

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Hi Robin,

I'm having trouble with chives. I planted the seeds they sprouted but it's so delicate that it will wilt with the sunshine, and when I water it and when i move it away from the direct sunlight it seems to incline towards the light. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Likes (0)

#173 Fri 22 Apr 11 5:56pm

WheelieFoodChik

Robin,
I'm still trying to grow something other than lettuce, arugula, and herbs. I keep having to redo plants, so far: snap peas, tomatoes, jalepenos. I also got the new unit this week. and got the strawberries and grapes in it. I put the cucumber with the green bean and zucchini. My bell peppers aren't flowering (they're 5 weeks old) and my two-week-old tomato has lost it's leaves again. I still love my Aerogardens but all these restarts are ridiculous...Arrgh! help

Likes (0)

#174 Fri 22 Apr 11 6:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

DebDiMaggio wrote:

Hi Robin,

I'm having trouble with chives. I planted the seeds they sprouted but it's so delicate that it will wilt with the sunshine, and when I water it and when i move it away from the direct sunlight it seems to incline towards the light. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have cheated with the chives Deb as I have bought a couple of the 'pot grown herbs' from Lidl or Aldi (I cant remember which ) I split then up and planted them.
I bought them in Lidl/Aldi and they were grown in a sandy base and were  good strong plants.
The weather is not as hot where you are but it will probably work .

Likes (0)

#175 Sat 23 Apr 11 5:56pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

DebDiMaggio wrote:

Hi Robin,

I think it's OK for the Chives to incline towards the light. They will naturally do this. Partial shade is fine - just not full shade. Are you growing them indoors? They will probably be alright outside now.

Hope this helps, Robin

Likes (0)

#176 Sat 23 Apr 11 6:00pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

WheelieFoodChik wrote:

Robin,
I'm still trying to grow something other than lettuce, arugula, and herbs. I keep having to redo plants, so far: snap peas, tomatoes, jalepenos. I also got the new unit this week. and got the strawberries and grapes in it. I put the cucumber with the green bean and zucchini. My bell peppers aren't flowering (they're 5 weeks old) and my two-week-old tomato has lost it's leaves again. I still love my Aerogardens but all these restarts are ridiculous...Arrgh! help

Hi WheelieFoodChik,

I have never used Aerogardens so I can't offer specific support - but I know from my own outdoor vegetable gardening that trial and error is the name of the game - particuarly in the first season. Plants often don't play by the rules - frustratingly! But it sounds like you have had enough success to stay motivated. Is your Mum still impressed?

Robin

Likes (0)

#177 Sat 23 Apr 11 7:43pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

mummza wrote:

Robin , there is still no sign of life from my Oleander plant, I am in South  Wales I that the weather is now mild enough for me to cut the plant down ( so sad ) is there any likely chance that the Oleander might just grow again from the base , so far there are no signs of this , or, should I now get someone to dig out the plant for me.
( can't manage the task myself !).Or should I give it a little more time.

The fushias have also suffered badly and they now seem to ge growing again from the base so I will get the dead wood cot off soon.

I also lost my all but 1 of my thyme plants and 2 of my rosemary bushes.

It was a hard winter as you know.

How much longer do you think I should leave the oleander to see if it shows signs of life Robin ?

Likes (0)

#178 Sun 24 Apr 11 1:46am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

WheelieFoodChik wrote:

Robin,

I find peppers can be quite slow. Hopefully they will start flowering soon! smile

Likes (0)

#179 Sun 24 Apr 11 3:21am

WheelieFoodChik

RobinMcaf wrote:

WheelieFoodChik wrote:

Robin,

Hi WheelieFoodChik,

I have never used Aerogardens so I can't offer specific support - but I know from my own outdoor vegetable gardening that trial and error is the name of the game - particuarly in the first season. Plants often don't play by the rules - frustratingly! But it sounds like you have had enough success to stay motivated. Is your Mum still impressed?

Robin

Robin,
I think I will try asking Aerogrow's Facebook Page for system specifics. I come to YOU for the straight dope on plants. I have been thinking of what it could be: Temperature and timing. I think that maybe it has something with the dark period. All of my nightshades(tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant) haven't really been getting one! Aerogardens are designed to cut off and on by themselves but I do not have them sync'd where all the units stop and start together. With each unit coming on at different times, plants that need their dark period are actually getting EXTRA light from the units around them! I need something that will turn the units on a row at a time or all at the same time. I found a light timer at Lowe's Home Improvement and I'll get it next week.

As to being impressed, Ma isnt anymore. Now that I have seven units and the plants are struggling...she's ready for me to give up. She keeps asking if the plants should be outside and everytime I add a new unit she reminds me that I'm running out of space as if I don't see that myself. The whole time while my Ma is complaining...I'm thinking,"What's it to you? You're not buying the units, planning what goes in them, getting the seeds, putting units together, watering ,feeding or pruning the plants...It's all me! So you shouldn't have a problem with it."

My ma's crafts take up nearly every wall and other flat surface in this house...including the dining room table. My Aerogardens? 7 units on one plastic craft table with a drawer cart next to it and an old plastic laundry detergent tub with siphon pump resting in it....in a spare room we hardly use anyway. What harm am I doing?

My plants aren't the Audrey II. It's not like Ma will hear "Feed Me!" in a deep voice as she heads down the hall to the bathroom in the middle of the night!  clap  The night my plants do that...we're BOTH gone! lol

Likes (0)

#180 Sun 24 Apr 11 3:28am

WheelieFoodChik

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

WheelieFoodChik wrote:

Robin,

I find peppers can be quite slow. Hopefully they will start flowering soon! smile

Thanks, JYD
I hope you're right. Aerogrow says to shake the plant to disperse the pollen but all it does is knock buds off my peppers. Any idea what kills leaves on two-week old tomato plants?

Likes (0)