forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#181 Sat 30 Apr 11 4:20pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

Re: What to seed, what to plant, what to reap, any questions for me?

mummza wrote:

mummza wrote:

Robin , there is still no sign of life from my Oleander plant, I am in South  Wales I that the weather is now mild enough for me to cut the plant down ( so sad ) is there any likely chance that the Oleander might just grow again from the base , so far there are no signs of this , or, should I now get someone to dig out the plant for me.
( can't manage the task myself !).Or should I give it a little more time.

The fushias have also suffered badly and they now seem to ge growing again from the base so I will get the dead wood cot off soon.

I also lost my all but 1 of my thyme plants and 2 of my rosemary bushes.

It was a hard winter as you know.

How much longer do you think I should leave the oleander to see if it shows signs of life Robin ?

Right! Still no sign of life? I must admit they look fairly miserable in all my London gardens and aren't really reshooting yet. However we have now cut back dead branches to the green leaves left from last year. I hope you will still have some green leaves left on the shrub from last year? If there are no leaves at all it may well be dead. Try cutting back carefully. If you come to a point where there is still green (life) in the stem then don't cut back further than this point. If there are still green leaves that's great. Just cut back the dead branches to these old leaves.

Likes (0)

#182 Sat 30 Apr 11 4:24pm

RobinMcaf

WheelieFoodChik,

The Little Shop of Horrors was one of my favourite films as a kid. Thank you for reminding me of it.

Don't get overwhelmed by buying too many units!

Robin

Likes (0)

#183 Sat 30 Apr 11 4:43pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Thanks Robin , no there are no green leaves at all on the oleander , very sad .
The fushias seem to be sprouting again from the base but at the moment the old wood has been left to see it it will retern t life  (but its not looking good ) they will be cut back next saturday , I have someone come and do the garden for me every other week for a couple of hours as I can no longer manage to do much disite the garden being like a postage stamp in size !

Likes (0)

#184 Thu 05 May 11 10:15am

RobinMcaf

mummza wrote:

Thanks Robin , no there are no green leaves at all on the oleander , very sad .
The fushias seem to be sprouting again from the base but at the moment the old wood has been left to see it it will retern t life  (but its not looking good ) they will be cut back next saturday , I have someone come and do the garden for me every other week for a couple of hours as I can no longer manage to do much disite the garden being like a postage stamp in size !

Oh Mummza,

That is sad. My Fuchsias aren't sprouting much yet - but it is a good time to get that dead wood off before they do.

Have you tried cutting back into the Oleander at all? Just a few inches to start with - see if you get to a point where there is still some green in the stem.

Robin

Likes (0)

#185 Thu 05 May 11 10:38am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Yes Robin , I have just had a peep at some f the areas under some of the thin bark of the Oleander there is not much sign of life.
the help in the garden will be here on Saturday so I thought it might be a good idea to start to cut it back from the upper branches to see if there is any hope of it growing again , but sadly it looks very unlikly.

Dead fushia wood will also be cut back this weekend to encouage the new growth from the base.
Check around he base of your fushias Robin as yu might ge a nice suprise !

What has been interesting is that the ex-i-coda (sorry I know its not spelt right ) which is over 20 years old , has managed to germinate some of the seeds. I have tried for years to get the seds t germinate without sucess and this year I have noticed lots of litle seedlings near an around  the base of the little 'tree' which I am sure are the ex-i-coda seeds that have germinated. So the sub zero trmperatures that we endured for so log this winter have nt been all bad news !
Maybe the awnser for germinating the ex-i-coda is to chill the seeds well !

Likes (0)

#186 Sun 15 May 11 5:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I just planted dill seeds in small pots.  About how many plants should I split out to provide enough for soups, salads and dips?  I don't need great quantities for any given dish.  I'm not planning on making gravad lax.  I prefer smoked salmon anyway. help

Likes (0)

#187 Mon 13 Jun 11 10:32am

cbrontea

Member since Mon 06 Jun 11

hi jamie
i love your cooking
you might know me because i love to add to the member recipes but any way my name is Bronte and i am 11 years old and i would like to recommend a kids corner on your website with games, fun recipes and healthy eating tips.

Bronte :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Likes (0)

#188 Mon 13 Jun 11 11:48am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome here Bronte! A kids corner is a great idea! smile

Likes (0)

#189 Wed 29 Jun 11 4:38am

WheelieFoodChik

Occupation ex-Avon Representative(though not for long, I hope), Online Student
From Rocky Mount, NC, United States
Member since Sat 05 Jun 10

RobinMcaf wrote:

WheelieFoodChik,

The Little Shop of Horrors was one of my favourite films as a kid. Thank you for reminding me of it.

Don't get overwhelmed by buying too many units!

Robin

Robin,
Little Shop is one of my favs too... along with Rocky Horror Picture Show(I'm drama geek, what can I say? wink ). Anyway, I'm still attempting to grow some of the same stuff and there are new crops too.

I'm still growing lettuce but to add more variety, I threw in some other greens. I've now got swiss chard in the white aerogarden along with arugula and mustard greens. So. now it's 4 lettuce/3 other greens for that unit.

My silver unit where I grow my herbs is doing really well, everything came up. My dill didn't sprout last time I planted.

I'm also gonna try 3 other herbs in the Aero 3 green (parsley, cilantro, and chives).

In the pink unit, redid the eggplant and may have to redo the sugar snaps peas as it's all roots  and no leaves.

In the blue, both peppers need redoing and the tomato is starting to die back...again.

Good news to report on the orange, I finally got the zucchini and cucumber to sprout, they are about 2 weeks old but the green bean is a redo.

Finally, in the black...I have had to restart my strawberries. I also have grapes in this unit and watermelon(A space saving variety to be transplanted outside).

I still have mold in the Aero 3's but I don't think it's my water. I probably have just been overwatering...filling it too full to start with, maybe. I say this because my zucchini and cucumber didn't successfully sprout until I changed out the grow sponges and seeds but left the water level where it was.

I'm figuring out little tricks here and there like to stop the grow sponges from floating when you first put them in the Aero 3's, soak them. That the best gauge for how much water to add is your eyes and not the fill line in the unit. When buying the liquid nutrients, the quart and syringes are better for long-term feeds over the packets. Also, on AeroGarden's blog I read that some people mix the nutrients WITH the water before feedings.

Whoo, that's gonna be a job and a half! For vegetables, it's 8ml of nutrients to a gallon of water. Each Aero 7 uses one but a gallon will feed two Aero 3's...so, that is 4.5 gallons of mixed solution altogether. Might be time to trade out my watering cans for gallon jugs!

Last edited by WheelieFoodChik (Wed 29 Jun 11 4:39am)

Likes (0)

#190 Wed 29 Jun 11 6:33pm

WheelieFoodChik

Occupation ex-Avon Representative(though not for long, I hope), Online Student
From Rocky Mount, NC, United States
Member since Sat 05 Jun 10

jzr123 wrote:

what's that

What's what, jzr123?

Likes (0)