Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#521 Fri 10 Jun 11 7:20am

miagair

Member since Fri 27 May 11

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

hi jannone,
i was just wondering if you were needing volunteers for your summer camp idea? i live in yorkshire, a county in the UK and would love to do something like that. if you have any further details then please let me know.

Likes (0)

#522 Sat 11 Jun 11 2:51am

mzsade

Occupation Gainful idleness
From Bombay
Member since Fri 29 Apr 11

Just caught your latest episode, loved what did with the Barrets. But here's a challenge, you think you have run into a brick wall. Try something like that in the government run schools in India and LA will seem like a cakewalk. You would have to cope with a different paradigm too, they are literally starving those kids here!
Anyways, i wish you all the best with your guerilla attack, go get 'em tiger!

Likes (0)

#523 Sat 11 Jun 11 6:45am

nicholecorp

Member since Sat 11 Jun 11

I'm from Portland Oregon and there the community is huge on eating healthy and local sustainable food and living. thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#524 Sat 11 Jun 11 7:04am

silversurfer88

Occupation Small Business proprietor
From South Australia
Member since Sat 11 Jun 11

I watched the Food Revolution (second last in the USA series) last night and feel a great admiration for Jamie taking on such a mammoth task. If I were in his shoes I would have fallen in a heap long before now. How often does one have to be knocked down before they decide it is all too hard? All who are in their own small business can gain inspiration from Jamie and must admire his dedication.

Just a comment re the Food Revolution program.

I know the deep concern and motivation Jamie has to helping our children understand the importance of eating right to be able to live a healthy long life. However,  there are many others who would also benefit from learning how to change the eating habits that have so rapidly taken over this precious world of ours.

Jamie, have you considered what a difference you could make to the food served up to the ill in hospitals and the elderly in retirement villages and nursing homes?

They too have the right to eat well and not have to put up with processed foods, watery soups and some foods that are just too difficult to describe and are almost inedible but are constantly served up in many of these places.

I speak from experience as my mother lives in one of these places and she frequently complains about the meals, particularly the frozen crumbed fish and the so called salads consisting of coleslaw and a slice of tinned beetroot. I come from a European background and still cook many of our foods and now because of your programs some good food from your cook books for her to ensure she is getting some nourishment.

But how many Grandmothers and Grandfathers out there don't have the luxury of a family around, who have no-one to take them good food or cannot afford to eat out, who cares about them?

If you ever tire of knocking the heads of the school boards Jamie and are looking for a new challenge then please consider the Institutions, hospitals and Aged Care facilities, they can't all be just about the money.

Viva the revolution!

Last edited by silversurfer88 (Sat 11 Jun 11 7:07am)

Likes (0)

#525 Sun 12 Jun 11 8:11am

Greenscience

Member since Sun 12 Jun 11

I've been watching the food revolution ever since Jamie started his revolution in Huntington. i think what he does takes a lot of dedication because from what I've seen every school and restaurant he did his revolution at had their different ideas on the benefits of good food. Some people are in the food business for the money such as fast food restaurants and Jamie has the courage to go in there and persuades them to serve healthy food. For schools Cafeteria staffs thinks it is time consuming and hard work to prepare food from scratch but Jamie is still able to persuade them to feed kids healthy food. I think Jamie is the superman of food! smile

Likes (0)

#526 Sun 12 Jun 11 10:49am

miagair

Member since Fri 27 May 11

i agree, jamie has a massive task on his hands trying to convince these businesses ands organisations to change their ways into a healthier way of life. but the realy problem lies with the businesses who provide the basic ingredients at the start of the fast food process. they are the ones who put the first chemicals into the food to mass produce it and sell it cheap so they make more of a profit, then the supermarkets, restaurants and fast food chains have the choice of buying the cheap chemically produced food or the more expensive good quality food, which one will they chose? the cheal food everytime! but a lot of the time they is no indication on what really goes into our food. so after the LA food revolution maybe jamie could try a much bigger challenge, with all the support he has across the world doing something global might work. getting new laws on food labeling will make people see what is really in our food and the choice between the cheap food and more expensive will change. everything in this world has been made as cheap as it can be, although the organic food is more exdpensive maybe we could all do with looking how we live our lives as a whole. growing our own fruit and vegetables, if you can't grow very much yourself maybe try house herbs, and swap them for a friends starwberries or something you use daily. if we all work together we can change our future of the generations to come and our lives right now. and as money is so tight for most of us, sharing what we can without involving money would do nothing but good.  smile

Likes (0)

#527 Tue 14 Jun 11 11:41pm

darkspidey

Member since Tue 14 Jun 11

If Gordon Ramsay decided to barge into Jamie's house and set healthier menus because Jamie is overweight (which he is) he wouldnt like it, why the American food board are angry. Jamie knows full well that the big food companies have multi million dollar contracts over there and so the municipal council cant do much about current menus. Be more polite and subtle next time Jamie! wink

Likes (0)

#528 Wed 15 Jun 11 2:26am

bren101

Occupation out of work carpenter
From ireland
Member since Tue 14 Sep 10

i dont believe the municipal council cant do much about current menus darkspidey. you speak of multi million dollar contracts,(billion dollar cigarrete companies could not stop the smoking bans being enforced)
i believe the food revolution is the begining of something that is going to spread rapidly and the legislaters will quickly realise jamies dream of healthy eating and get behind the wheel of the FR.
good on ya JAMIE, loving the show along with 30 min meals which myself and my daughter copy on many occasions .

Likes (0)

#529 Wed 15 Jun 11 3:54am

wchele

Member since Wed 15 Jun 11

Jamie Oliver, you should reach out to Governor Chris Christie since he just expressed a need to be healthier and lose weight on CNN Piers Morgan. The NJ school system should be an easy sell...providing you can raise the funds to do it because he's cutting the budget like crazy.

Likes (0)

#530 Thu 16 Jun 11 5:28am

RSteiner

Member since Mon 10 May 10

While I realize there's already a Facebook page for the Food Revolution for my area (Westerville, OH) I tried posting about having a group shopping trip to the local Farmer's Market and didn't ever get an answer so I am looking for people in the Columbus, OH area who wish to not only follow news about the Revolution but to take trips to various farmer's markets and to support our local economies.

I am looking for a group who want to be active not just by writing letters to their school districts but also helping one another with recipes, shopping outings, and other fun events outside of the Revolution.

We now have a Giant Eagle Market District so if there's a chef we want to go see who promotes healthy living then that would be another way to support healthy lifestyles.

Anyone with me?

Likes (0)