forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 09 Jul 11 6:06pm

pearson1

Occupation Jubilado
From Mallorca
Member since Fri 08 Jul 11

Keeping hens in Mallorca

We have placed our chicken coop and run under our palm tree.  Does anyone know if hens will attempt to eat the palm kernels that have fallen from the tree?
Is this going to cause them any problems?  We are new to this and are getting our hens tomorrow from the local market.
help

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 09 Jul 11 6:20pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Keeping hens in Mallorca

Hi pearson, i hope that this link will be of use: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/di … aid=624040

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 09 Jul 11 6:40pm

pearson1

Occupation Jubilado
From Mallorca

Oh Kye thank you so much.  That information has helped to put my mind at ease.  My new chucks have been pecking away on them all afternoon, completely ignoring the corn feed I put in for them!

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 09 Jul 11 6:53pm

Kye

Forum super champ

They know what are good for them, you must also give them egg shells to force their diet, bake the shells in an oven just quickly, crush them and mix with other foods in a mash or not...they are really important for calcium.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 09 Jul 11 7:08pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Any left over naturals from the kitchen (veg) can be boiled and mashed, you don't have to spend money on special foods.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 09 Jul 11 7:10pm

pearson1

Occupation Jubilado
From Mallorca

Thank you so much for your advice.  I will certainly do that for them.  I think you can rest assured you will be hearing from me again until I find my feet!  Have a good evening.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 09 Jul 11 7:29pm

Kye

Forum super champ

big_smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 19 Jan 12 1:24pm

surfingdevil

Member since Thu 19 Jan 12

We are about to get some chickens from a friend here in Mallorca.  I have built the fenced off area (we cannot have them running wild here - the dogs will get them) and we are currently building the house for them.  We are going to have them for eggs and meat hopefully.  I'm very excited, I have always wanted hens.  I hope yours are doing well under their palm tree.  Mine are in an area at the back of the veggie plot.  smile

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 21 Jan 12 10:11am

pearson1

Occupation Jubilado
From Mallorca

'Morning surfingdevil,
We just love our little chucks to bits.  They are friendly, fascinating pets and so easy to keep.  We got them from the market in Palma last summer and for a while we thought we'd got duds as it took them weeks to start laying.  But then, one day, there was a small, brown perfectly formed egg in the nest box!!!  Now they each produce a huge brown egg every day (we have three girls - Betty, Dot and Dora).  We bought a chicken house on line from Amazon and had it delivered here and built a compound for them.  However, the lower garden is such a shambles at the moment that we let them out to free range every day.  This is until we get the veg plot sorted out and planted, then we'll have to find a way of keeping them off the new shoots!!  We live in the beautiful village of Es Capdella and get our hen food from the pet shop in Calvia.  Whereabouts are you?  Good luck with everything.  Let us know how you get on.
Happyhenlady, Es Capdella.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 21 Jan 12 11:35am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Lovely to read the Mallorca chook stories! smile

Likes (0)