forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 09 Jul 11 3:27pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

looking for the perfect grape

taking pics of grapes, I'll never be tired of, I keep looking for the best shape or color or size ...... but as with people each has its own proper beauty, short and round, thick disposure of acini, weird randomly scattered ripe already black ones amid dark green ones, long thin grapes looking like worried  lawyers with their bag, little grapes with few perfect acini hiding behind a huge protective leaf, the wind makes shade and light change their faces at every breath while I go on taking one pic after the other ........... I'm not sure I'll be able to decide which one to blog, only one or all of them  roll

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Sat 09 Jul 11 4:20pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 09 Jul 11 6:30pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: looking for the perfect grape

I'd like to see the lawyer grape with his bag, your grapes are well advanced, ours will be ready in late august/septembre, even in Burgundy where it is hotter than here.

In our private garden we pick them when ripe, but for harvest in Burgundy the laws are strict and we have to wait for the date to be announced....for wine.

Then we return in november for the second recult that we use mostly to make jams.

I wrapped some vine leaves around goats cheese last week for the cheese to absorb the flavour, it will be ready in another week.

Also some cooked chopped lamb with rice, wrapped in damp vine leaves in little packets are delicious...served with a little olive oil.

Last edited by kye in france (Sat 09 Jul 11 6:45pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 09 Jul 11 7:04pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

kye in france wrote:

I'd like to see the lawyer grape with his bag, your grapes are well advanced, ours will be ready in late august/septembre, even in Burgundy where it is hotter than here.

In our private garden we pick them when ripe, but for harvest in Burgundy the laws are strict and we have to wait for the date to be announced....for wine.

Then we return in november for the second recult that we use mostly to make jams.

I wrapped some vine leaves around goats cheese last week for the cheese to absorb the flavour, it will be ready in another week.

Also some cooked chopped lamb with rice, wrapped in damp vine leaves in little packets are delicious...served with a little olive oil.

the vine is the uva fragola or americana precoce as we call it

tell me about your jams kye, this year I'd like to experiment the sauce(??) with green unripe grapes, you said you know about

now I'll choose the lawyer serious grape wink  lol  to blog for you

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 09 Jul 11 7:26pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Grape jelly to serve with cheese, its not jam as it is not sweet...

Use the small, green, unripe grapes from the bunches (they are usually about the size of a pea).
Put the grapes in a pan with water to cover and simmer until very soft.
Strain through a musin, cloth..

Then measure the liquid: to each 600 ml add 450 g sugar....heat until boiling point and then pour into conserve bocals.

Our garden grapes are muscat, just for eating not to make wine.....unless grown in Champagne, even Martini is made with them but we don't have the recipe.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 09 Jul 11 8:16pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

grazie kye you are you are just kye big_smile  wave

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 09 Jul 11 10:57pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

The best i have ever found are here in Cyprus, They are called Verigo and really are something else.

http://www.cephas.com/Details.aspx?ID=1 … only=False

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 09 Jul 11 11:03pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

thumbsup what a beauty falconcy and the colors big_smile

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Sat 09 Jul 11 11:03pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 10 Jul 11 12:10am

Kye

Forum super champ

falconcy, they look very much like our cabinet sauvignon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabernet_Sauvignon

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 10 Jul 11 3:50pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

These are specific to Cyprus. They are a very "meaty" grape if that makes sense.

BTW the grapes that now make Champagne actually originated in Cyprus.

Henry de Champagne of France, visited Lania during the middle of the 12th century in search of a new breed of grape vines to replace his own due to a disease that destroyed his entire crop. Lania and the neighboring areas provided him with a suitable replacement. The variety of Grape still exists today contributing to the Champagne production in France.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 10 Jul 11 4:07pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

I like so much this wandering around of vine's species ........... the piece of land I'm cultivating now was surrounded by wild vines, I'll ask what sort of plant that was and later also peach trees, there some growing in the little wood on the other side of the street, my neighbor transplanted one in hid orchard and grafted(??) a peach plant which now gives wonderful fruits, I tasted one not completely ripe and you di not know what was best if the scent or the taste wink

Likes (0)