forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 05 Sep 11 2:45pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Acceptable "Passive Racism" or "Humour"?

Last evening I watched "Eat Street" on the tv station "Food Network"

The programme opened with a cocky, jumped-up & overly bouncy little man who introduced the programme with:
"English food is like Swedish furniture, the less you have of it, the more you like it!"

Normally I accept the stupid & the ignorant as necessary evils in my world, but a representative of a food channel  to come out with such appalling ignorance did purturb me somewhat.

Is this still what people think?
Do their mouths say one thing & their secret prejudices another?
Is he out there on his own?

I would be interested to see if this post engenders honest & vigorous discussion...........or if silence will answer my questions.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 05 Sep 11 2:48pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Acceptable "Passive Racism" or "Humour"?

The general caliber of the Food Network, for me, is represented best by Sandra Lee, the semi-ho woman.  She perfectly illustrates that not only are many of the featured cooks totally untrained in cooking, they seem to have no knowledge whatsoever of food or culture.  Rachel Ray thought they spoke Swedish in Switzerland.  That's as ignorant as it gets.

A clever joke can be a bit lowdown and I will laugh, but to me, this sort of thing just sounds trashy and ignorant.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 05 Sep 11 2:49pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 05 Sep 11 3:19pm

minerva

Forum champ

I have to say that I have only found this channel recently. It also seems to feature some of our better known chefs now & then who feature their tips/wrinkles & some recipes they have made their own..........these I found interesting/entertaining, but the programmes that followed were all American, & though interesting from a cultural point of view, had limited culinary value since they work in "cups" for measurement (which I simply cannot get my head round).

None of our chefs were so crass.................which lead me to wonder what other nations REALLY thought of our cuisine???

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 05 Sep 11 4:18pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Racial comedy depends on the comedian - good comedians make fun of racial/ethnic stereotypes. Bad comedians enforce them. That "Swedish furniture" remark seems like an off-shot of the "freedom fries" jingoism.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 05 Sep 11 4:32pm

minerva

Forum champ

He wasn't a "comedian", he was a presenter on a documentary-style cookery show.......& that's my point.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 06 Sep 11 10:44am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I think he was just ignorant Minnie..  The food network is just a shadow of what it was when it began.  Back then the programs were based around real chefs who gave alot of instruction while cooking. Now everything seems to be a contest .  The presenters aren't often even classically trained but groomed for their personality and entertainment value.   The shows where they do cook are often just thinly veiled carbon copies of each other .  Cookiecutter formats.   Now that Alton brown has stopped doing Good Eats I struggle to think of a show that really offers much in the way in instruction or information anymore.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#7 Tue 06 Sep 11 11:04am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Perhaps the guy should be made to eat Tripe and onions for a week and chew a piece of Ikea furniture for the following week.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 06 Sep 11 12:45pm

minerva

Forum champ

Nope, I think that wouldn't prove to be much of an education somehow!!!

It did make me stop & wonder what other nations thought of our cuisine though..............there does seem to be a fair bit of assumption-making out there.
Most of it a good 20-30 years out of date.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 06 Sep 11 1:47pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

minerva wrote:

It did make me stop & wonder what other nations thought of our cuisine though.............

Last month, a friend of mine was coming back from a hollyday in the UK, and I was eagerly awaiting his return, since I had instructed him to get me at least 5 bottles of HP. I haven't been able to find it here for years, and have subsequentlly been unable to make a proper full english. When he was checking his luggage at the airport, they told him he couldn't take them (too much liquid, or something). He then tried to explain to the security personel that he was taking it to a friend abroad who loved English cuisine, and said the guard gave him a very definite "You expect me to believe that?" look.  hmm  tongue

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 06 Sep 11 1:54pm

minerva

Forum champ

Bet he had the sauce in his hand luggage.
Would have been fine in the hold in his suitcase.

That look is part of the qualifications for being employed by "Customs" in any country!

Ps that look couldn't possibly have been directed towards the sauce unless the officer had been a foreigner........HP is a religion in its own right!

Last edited by minerva (Tue 06 Sep 11 1:56pm)

Likes (0)