Jamie Oliver

forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Wed 10 Aug 11 12:33am

Isobel_10

Member since Tue 09 Aug 11

Re: what the law says about keeping cockerels

I have just given a home to a beautiful cockerel in direct breach of my husband's injunction, sneaking him in last weekend he wasn't looking. He soon spotted him and was furious for about 10 seconds then this male bonding thing went on and now I can't keep my husband out of the chicken field. He's there before me every morning praising Percy's hirsuit handsomeness. However I got him on the basis that if anyone locally is upset by his noise, his previous owner will take him back at once. We are quite a long way from our neighbours, lock him up at night and don't let him out till 7.30. So far I have not hear a single doodle do and we sleep on the field side our house, but I won't hesitate to send him back if anyone objects to him.

I love the sound of a cockerel personally but sympathise with those who are driven mad by it. If this was me and it was a residential area I know for sure that I would fetch the cockerel out when the owner was not looking and pluck him and roast him. Whilst this may not be the proper way of dealing with it I would not think twice about it.

Likes (0)

#42 Thu 18 Aug 11 8:37pm

aNonnyMouse

Member since Thu 18 Aug 11

Good to find a thread with all sides represented; I'd be pleased to hear opinions of my situation as my neighbours think I'm an intolerant townie. They recently put 3 cockrels in separate pens within an area c. 5m by 5m, 10-15m from our bedroom window. They were locked up in houses overnight, but clearly not dark enough or small enough to stop crowing, as they got cracking with the dawn, clearly competing against each other for most and loudest crowing. My neighbours have the best part of an acre of land on the other side of our block of building so I popped round this morning in friendly fashion, explaining I have trouble sleeping anyway and really could do without losing more, to ask if they might think about moving them.
Does this seem unreasonable?
Thanks

Likes (0)

#43 Mon 10 Oct 11 6:53pm

Old Macdonald

Member since Mon 10 Oct 11

I live in a residential area. On one side (100 yards away) there is a main road, on the other side (100 yards away) there is a main line railway track into London Waterloo. Alongside that there is a motorway. Oh yes and we are beneath the Heathrow flight path.
I have never had any noise problems in the more than 40 years I have lived here (if I exclude the bin men at 5:30am on Tuesdays. However this has all changed. The neighbour at the end on my garden (60 feet long) has decided to keep chickens, lots of them and house them in a shed up against my fence. Of course in the natural progression of things, His Majesty comes along. On Saturday and Sunday I counted the number of times I heard him annouce his presence between 2pm and 5pm. It worked out at once every 18 seconds. Is this a record?
I was interested to see what other people's thoughts were on this sonic phenomenon. Pretty much the same as mine I find. I was suprised to see that only one person has mentioned the smell, and am even more surprised to see that there is no mention of the arrival of rats on the hunt for easy pickings (but not from McDonald's) is this a unique feature of my neighbour's flock? It is hard to imagine that it is

Likes (0)

#44 Mon 10 Oct 11 7:20pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Time for Coq au Vin!

Likes (0)

#45 Thu 07 Mar 13 10:24am

Amzily

Member since Thu 07 Mar 13

Fine u live in a village but ppl like me that live in towns have to put up with it too. Is it narrow minded that my 6 year old son gets woken up every hour from someone else's cockerel, is it narrow minded that it's effect his concentration at school. That's with him ring in the furthest away bedroom and all the windows closed. Never mind I work a job that requires me to do 12 hour shifts a day and other peoples lives are in my hands!! It's not narrow minded for people to want to be able to be happy in there homes but consideration to neighbours means a lot. If people want to have livestock that's fine but do it somewhere it won't affect others. I like playing music but I wouldn't play it at 3am so why should I have to put up with other peoples noise.

Likes (0)

#46 Thu 07 Mar 13 11:40am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

I used to keep hens.  I think you'll find that different counties/boroughs, have their bi-laws about keeping livestock.  For me it was fine to keep hens, providing that neighbours didn't object.  They didn't, even though for a short while we had a cockerel.  Do look into your local bi-law covering this subject.  You maybe surprised.

Likes (0)

#47 Wed 30 Jul 14 11:39pm

Gareth cullen

Member since Wed 30 Jul 14

minerva wrote:

The thing I have NO time for is the people from the towns that come to live in the countryside (in residential areas............you know, villages!) & then moan about the noise of sunday morning church bells, calving cows lowing, cockerels crowing, lambing sheep bleating, tractors rumbling along (often extremely slowly!) at all hours..................

................................if you don't like livestock, farming & country noise...........

..............................................s*d off back to town!

The truth is these are the people who totally kill village life............ie the very thing they bought into!

(sorry, had to get all that off my chest..................we have a new "townie"tenant in a rented house near me, & he has totally changed the previously very harmonious village I live in within a few weeks with his incessant complaints about normal village noise)

You are without doubt the most obnoxious ignorant man I've ever come across in my entire life.
What I don't like is people in towns thinking they are in the countryside. You know, the ones who think it's ok to wake the other 24 families of the street up at 3:30am every morning in the name of nature. The ones who advise you to purchase ear plugs for your kids and think it's fine to wake their neighbours every morning using their very own living alarm clock. Of course they are very careful to position their coup on the opposite side of their own property to minimise their own disturbance.
You are rude and ignorant and I pray upon pray that your sleep be disturbed every night from this day forth as ours is. I also pray that when you complain about it some self righteous imbecile gives you plenty...........
If you don't like people, go and find yourself an island. And bloody well stay there.

Likes (0)

#48 Thu 31 Jul 14 11:09am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Town living v country living. 

I would much rather `suffer' the sounds of the countryside than those from towns, ie engines revving up, busy traffic areas, etc.  Not to mention the stench of traffic fumes.

Give me the countryside every time.  Nothing nicer than waking up to the sound of he odd cockerel, cows mooing, sheep bahing, as I do.  Love it!

Btw, I know what it's like to live in suburbia so I can speak from experience.  Would, by far, prefer to see children growing up in a rural area where the environment is healthier.  Towns are never far away in UK so there are choices.

Likes (0)