Jamie Oliver

forum: Jamie's Food Revolution

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 15 Oct 11 9:37pm

tristan100

Member since Sat 15 Oct 11

I need help with my sauce

Every time I try a Jamie recipe out of the Ministry book my sauce is always too watery! 

The pictures in the book show a thick tomato sauce but mine is always thin and runny.

The recipes I've tried are the spag bolognese, vindaloo, and stew which all use chopped tomato's - could this be what's causing the problem? We use Napolina chopped toms.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tristan

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 15 Oct 11 10:07pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: I need help with my sauce

Welcome to the forum Tristan.

The sauce probably needs to be cooked for a bit longer so that some of the flid evaporates and the flavour intensifies.
I have stopped buying the tins of chopped tomatoes and now buy only the tins of whole tomatoes, the chopped tomatoes seem to have a lot more fluid in them whist the whole tomatoes seem to have much less.
Like many things it is best to buy the best you can afford , I have often found the very cheap tins of tomatoes have a more watery juice in the tins.

I hope this helps.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 16 Oct 11 8:45am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Re: I need help with my sauce

Draining the cans of whole tomatoes prior to chopping them can also help, that way you lose a lot of the liquid. It depends on how you want the sauce to turn out. Passata can be subbed out for the tinned tomatoes as that tends to be a better base for a sauce.

Likes (0)