forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 12 Apr 10 2:48am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Re: Dehydrators

Hi Frizz - I've eaten egglant in a lovely mince lasagna - brought some home from work, everyone-turned-their-fussy-noses-up - so was more for ME!  lol  thumbsup

Hi DM - How's everything going with you?! Didn't see my in-laws over Easter as I was working (hubby & daughters did tho), no doubt I'll see them soon for a dinner invite, so, will check-out MIL's dehydrator then!

Hi to All! 

smile

Merry Christmas to you ALL! :-)
    Likes (0)

#12 Mon 12 Apr 10 2:55am

BMFSTAR

Occupation cook/baker/manager for a large heathfood store
From New York State
Member since Tue 02 Mar 10

we make jerkies, any fruit or veg  that has come in my home (which is alot!!) I think watermelon is my favorite!!  slow and low grapes are good too. left over fresh herbs, 
and my fav. veggie is probably collard (or any leafy dark green ) chips, toss in sea salt black pepper and cold pressed extra virgin oil (normally olive). soo yummie. for a real treat, I will add some fresh shredded mint or basil in to the oil.

My husband also soaks raw nuts and seeds  and does them too. We expirement with making RAW granolas.. It is like a huge fun science peoject.  unfortunatly we just play and rarely write down what the "recipe" is....

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 13 Apr 10 2:39am

MarieZ

Member since Tue 13 Apr 10

I'm curious about the drying citrus and then putting it in the coffee grinder?

Do you peel your citrus (like when eating) and then dry the peel?  Or are you more careful and cut the peel off leaving the pith (bitter white stuff) behind?

And then once you have this "citrus powder" how do you use it?  I'd assume it's a great way to simply add citrus flavor to a smoothie or on sprinle some chicken while cooking it.

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 13 Apr 10 5:50am

dmfootycoach

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Jan 10

Sorry should have been more specific you should try to remove as much (pith?) white stuff as possible. Make sure though you get a coffee grinder or pepper mill for the specific use. Made the mistake once; once and never been able to live it down. The wife uses it for sprinkling on deserts like lemon merengue pie or an orange and carrot cake just to add a little zip and some colour.

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 16 Oct 11 12:20am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Hi DM! wave

I just bought a new box of muesli for my brekky (yes, I know I should be making the muesli myself! tho, I do make yummy porridge!)...

Anyways, apart from the lovely tasty dried fruit, there was some dried banana chips in there too!

So, I thought of your: "Dehydrators" thread! thumbsup

I had fresh sliced banana & milk as well, but, I'm sorry to say....I didn't fancy the dehydrated BANANA, tho, I did eat it!! tongue wink  smile

Btw, your wifes....lemon meringue pie & orange/carrot cake, sound sooooo devine!! yummy

Take care!  smile

Merry Christmas to you ALL! :-)
    Likes (0)