forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 10 Nov 11 7:16pm

Braai

Member since Thu 10 Nov 11

Re: Chicken and Mushroom Pie - 30 minute recipe

Would luv to obtain recipe of Jamies 30 min meals chicken and mushroom pie all websites refer to in previous comments not available in South Africa. Please can somebody let me have it.

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 10 Nov 11 7:18pm

Braai

Can anybody pls let me have the recipe for the chicken and mushroom pie shown on Jamies 30min meals.  Websites  not available here in South Africa

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 10 Nov 11 7:44pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Hope that thsi is the one: http://feedetgastro.wordpress.com/2010/ … icken-pie/

Have copied th whole recipe here just in case.....

Chicken Pie
(Adapted from Jamie’s 30-Minute Meals)

500g free-range chicken (you can use breast or thigh)
a knob of butter
1 bunch of spring onions
150g button mushrooms
1 heaped tsp plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
2 tsp English mustard
1 tbsp creme fraiche
300ml chicken stock
a few sprigs of thyme
1/2 a nutmeg, grated
1 sheet of pre-rolled puff pastry
1 egg
salt & pepper
extra virgin olive oil.

Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Chop up the button mushroom and spring onions and slice the chicken into strips or bite-sized chunks.

Heat a lug of olive oil and a knob of butter in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and spring onions to the pan with a tablespoon of plain flour and give it all a good stir. Mix in two teaspoons of English mustard, a generous tablespoon of creme fraiche and 300ml of good chicken stock (though I have used a stock pot and it was fine). Finally add some picked thyme leaves and a good grating of nutmeg, season with sea salt and pepper. Leave simmering on the stove whilst you sort out your pastry.

When I say “sort out your pastry” of course I simply mean get it out of the fridge and unroll onto a dry lightly floured work surface. Using a knife, lightly criss-cross the surface.

Once your chicken filling has thickened up slightly, tip it into a ovenproof baking dish slightly smaller than the sheet of pastry. Cover the filling with the sheet of pastry; don’t worry about the edges, just tuck them in around the filling.

Chicken Pie
(Adapted from Jamie’s 30-Minute Meals)

500g free-range chicken (you can use breast or thigh)
a knob of butter
1 bunch of spring onions
150g button mushrooms
1 heaped tsp plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
2 tsp English mustard
1 tbsp creme fraiche
300ml chicken stock
a few sprigs of thyme
1/2 a nutmeg, grated
1 sheet of pre-rolled puff pastry
1 egg
salt & pepper
extra virgin olive oil.

Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Chop up the button mushroom and spring onions and slice the chicken into strips or bite-sized chunks.

Heat a lug of olive oil and a knob of butter in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and spring onions to the pan with a tablespoon of plain flour and give it all a good stir. Mix in two teaspoons of English mustard, a generous tablespoon of creme fraiche and 300ml of good chicken stock (though I have used a stock pot and it was fine). Finally add some picked thyme leaves and a good grating of nutmeg, season with sea salt and pepper. Leave simmering on the stove whilst you sort out your pastry.

When I say “sort out your pastry” of course I simply mean get it out of the fridge and unroll onto a dry lightly floured work surface. Using a knife, lightly criss-cross the surface.

Once your chicken filling has thickened up slightly, tip it into a ovenproof baking dish slightly smaller than the sheet of pastry. Cover the filling with the sheet of pastry; don’t worry about the edges, just tuck them in around the filling.

Lightly beat the egg with a fork, then brush it over the top of the pie.

Bake on the top shelf of the oven for around 15 minutes, or until gorgeously browned.

If you want to go all the way Jamie, serve alongside peas and smashed carrots.

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 10 Nov 11 8:50pm

Braai

Thanks a million am definitely going to try this next week.

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 10 Nov 11 11:01pm

MarielH

Forum champ
Occupation Retired youngster but keeping busy!!
From Scotland
Member since Sun 14 Dec 08

So love this recipe - have made several times and have m ready rolled pastry in fridge to make again smile

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 10 Nov 11 11:48pm

knife&fork

Thank you for the recipe. More than one Canadian is going to be happy!

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 11 Nov 11 12:23am

Kye

Forum super champ

Good thumbsup

But when you read 'knob' and 'lug' .... wink  lol

Knob = a bit/little/palm sized....remember that it means a rounded door handle...
Lug = drop..

I hope that others will answer those questions help

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 11 Nov 11 9:50am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think of knob as a bit less than a teaspoon full and a lug as just over a teaspoon full ( pour for about 2 seconds !).
I find these loose terms interesting as we all have different interpretions of them . thumbsup

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 11 Nov 11 8:25pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I think of a knob as about 2 Tablespoons, same for a lug - a couple of Tablespoons.  But, isn't it meant to be at the cook's discretion?  I'm more generous with the butter when cooking mushrooms because it really gives them a nice flavor.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 11 Nov 11 8:27pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 11 Nov 11 8:34pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Lug definition:

1. A handle or projection used as a hold or support.
2. A lug nut.
3. Nautical A lugsail.
4. A projecting part of a larger piece that helps to provide traction, as on a tire or the sole of a boot.
5. A copper or brass fitting to which electrical wires can be soldered or otherwise connected.
6. Slang A clumsy fool; a blockhead.

Likes (0)