forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 15 Aug 07 9:51pm

Caribbean Girl

Member since Mon 13 Aug 07

Re: Spanish omelette

Pilar...this is basically the omlette recipe I am used to...I am Cuban.  My mother used to make this for us all the time as an easy, fast dinner.  She added the onions which are a great spin on the basic omlette.  They get soft and become sweet in the cooking so it's very mild.   In the US there is a popular omelette called a Western which uses onions, green peppers and bits of ham as well.  With the potatoes, it makes for a really complete meal.  Americans also like to use ketchup with omlettes, a major faux pas for my husband (who happens to be American...)  roll   I like both, con y sin, depending on my mood...

Hope you like my omlette thoughts.  smile

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 16 Aug 07 6:05pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think that the most popular omelette that is made in the uk is a cheese omelette.....

I make a spanish type omelette,cooking is slowlly on top of the stove.
my favorite combo' is to have peas in it with potato and onion...I like to cook the onion first in a little olive oil so that they start to caramalise,
and cook the potatoes untill they are almost fully cooked ,before I add them( making sure that they are dry before I slice them) .I use roughly the same egg content as Pilar Bo's recipe but,I do like fresh pepper added.

Its also good to eat cold .

Try adding peas to the omelett Pilar Bo ..see what you think.

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 16 Aug 07 6:33pm

Pilar Bo

From Spain
Member since Tue 07 Aug 07

Thanks for your tips, Caribbean girl and mummza. I will do some of what you've written , but I'm sorry to say I won't try peas: I don't like them at all. I know peas in Britain taste really good, but not the ones I can buy here.
The right thing is that you can cook any type of omelette. I had a friend who liked it just with fried garlic (and the eggs, of course) and, as the Caribbean girl said, a quick dinner can be an omelette, even a French one (only eggs) and a fresh tomato, open in the middle with a pinch of salt. Delicious! yummy

Last edited by Pilar Bo (Thu 16 Aug 07 6:34pm)

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 16 Aug 07 6:45pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

If I put tomato in omelette , I always cook it first.

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 21 Nov 11 11:38am

pacampo

Member since Mon 21 Nov 11

I sow the program last night and Jamie Oliver said "Spanish omelette" that was not Spanish omelette was an omelette/fritada with potatoes, chorizo and rosemary, it may be very nice but not "Spanish omelette".
Pilar Bo describe how the Spanish omelette is done perfect or like that is how I have seen it cooking in my house all my live and i have cooked like that for years, and i agree with her this tip "TIP: If you put a bit of this on a piece of bread, you will taste one of the best bites you can ever have!" that is amazing.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 21 Nov 11 4:46pm

ddcristo

Member since Mon 21 Nov 11

Pilar Bo wrote:

I know what he said in the programme, Cindy, and the only difference he made about our omelette and the fritatta was the way of cooking (in the oven instead of on the fire) but not about the ingredients or the rest of the method.
I have to leave now but I promise I will write the "real Spanish omelette" recipe soon.
From Spain, Pilar

Do Spanish call it  fritatta as well? I thought it was an Italian word.

Likes (0)