#41 Sun 20 Jun 10 9:54pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Re: Padron Peppers

SonomaEddie wrote:

Found another plant and bought it today.  Will be planting it in a few minutes.
Will start looking around at the farmer's markets for them, too.

do you want me to send you the seeds Ed??

Likes (0)

#42 Sun 20 Jun 10 10:12pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Thanks, Deb. I can get seeds here.  It's just that it's too late in the season to start from seeds here.  I'm going to look for the peppers at the farmer's markets not the plants.  I think I'll stick to the two good plants I have and next year get a packet of seeds for growing.  My sister was able to get seeds earlier and has some pretty good pepper plants growing.

Likes (0)

#43 Sun 04 Jul 10 11:03am

bestyt

From Tenerife, Canary Islands
Member since Sun 02 May 10

Oh, wo is me !!!! Just had my first feed from our plants. Everyone was a hot one.
What have i done wrong. The plantlets were bought as peppers padron at 2" tall. I didn't let them grow too big before picking and they were all 'master blasters' .
Anybody got any suggestions as to why this has happened. Other than the garden centre marking up the wrong plants. Does growing them in a certain way make them hotter? What's the secret.
Come on you lot. Put me out of my missery.
PS. I still ate them all though. My mouth just suffered later, haha. help  oops

Likes (0)

#44 Sun 04 Jul 10 4:23pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Haven't got a clue unless they did, as you said, mislabel the plants.  I've only heard of them being hot if you leave them to grow too long.
Drink a glass of milk. smile

Likes (0)

#45 Sun 04 Jul 10 4:26pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

Yes, what I read said not to let them get bigger than 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.  That's pretty small for a pepper.

Likes (0)

#46 Sun 04 Jul 10 4:42pm

bestyt

From Tenerife, Canary Islands
Member since Sun 02 May 10

Think they must have been labeled wrongly then, as none of the peppers were any bigger than 1.5" long and certainly no bigger than the ones i buy from the local farmers market. Oh well. They were worth a try. Will just have to keep buying them every week instead.
Thanks for the input folks. Any more offers of explanation???? wink

Likes (0)

#47 Mon 16 Aug 10 2:04pm

RichHalpin

Member since Thu 12 Aug 10

Hi guys - was searching for Padron Pepper recipes and came across this forum- I have also just seen a farm web site - www.holmselect.co.uk -for a Uk farm growing Padron Peppers – looks quite interesting – they also have Globe Artichokes and Asparagus –Has any one heard of them or had any experience of buying over the internet? I was thinking you could only grow peppers in a green house or indoors? Is it warm enough to grow them outside in the summer?
Thanks Rich

Likes (0)

#48 Sun 31 Jul 11 4:39am

Poolboy

Member since Sun 31 Jul 11

Got hooked on these little tapas in where else but Barcelona. Got back to Texas and could not find anyone selling them locally.  Bought the seeds, set up about 70 plants under a grow light this spring. Moved them to a raised garden, lost ages in the late cold front here in Dallas. However I now have 30 very healthy plants producing 6 to 7 peppers each day. I pick them at 1 1/2 inches and cook them the same day. Rarely a hot one. Until tonight! I wanted to have a large portion of 20 or so and kept several in the fridge for a couple days. Holy moly nearly every one was hot! Can keeping them in the fridge mature them to hot status? Anyone else potentially have this issue?

Likes (0)

#49 Sun 31 Jul 11 1:15pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Mmmm, bought some from Waitrose (UK).  They were from Spain. They were ocasionaly reduced in price  big time.  Something like 20p a bag, that was some time back. Not sure if they still sell them. I have visited a blog that said there is a recipe in Jamie does Spain.

Likes (0)

#50 Mon 23 Jan 12 4:53am

under2manyjeeps

Member since Sun 22 Jan 12

I was looking around trying to figure out what other gourmet vegetables I should grow this year and I came across these posts about padron peppers.  While I have never grown them they sound remarkable similar to Japanese shishito peppers.  I first had them at Roy Yamaguchi's restaurant "Roy's" and grew them.  They are very prolific and taste great.  If anyone is in the USA and you can't get padrons I would suggest shishito peppers.  You can purchase seeds from Kitazawa Seed Company of Oakland, CA.
kitazawaseed(dot)com

Likes (0)