Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Mon 27 Feb 12 12:57am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: The Meatloaf Thread

I love the epi when he was showing Elton how to cook and use a knife....and the one he showed how to fry a turkey.

Likes (0)

#42 Mon 27 Feb 12 6:28am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I loved the pie crust episode where he used punch and judy puppets  for tender and flaky..  .. hilarious  cool

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#43 Mon 27 Feb 12 7:22pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Pakman wrote:

In the Good Eats Episode he uses good ole Heinz Ketchup. Wonder what happen to the recipe on the site  think

Thankyou very much for the threads Pakman  big_smile

Likes (0)

#44 Tue 28 Feb 12 12:36am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

One of the really good ones was the fudge episode--Alton uses a large group of dancers to illustrate what happens to sugar during fudgemaking.

Likes (0)

#45 Tue 28 Feb 12 4:45pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Your Welcome Kye  smile

Likes (0)

#46 Tue 28 Feb 12 11:49pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Ashen wrote:

I think it is particular to USA to call it chuck though..

We have 'chuck' here too, chuck!
Cut into chunks, it's the beef of choice for a Cornish Pasty.

Likes (0)

#47 Wed 29 Feb 12 12:29am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I think that i need a translation of beef cuts...i am always lost.

Likes (0)

#48 Mon 28 Apr 14 4:39am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hello Meatloafers!
I've just been researching meatloaf recipes because I want to make one. It is to demonstrate the food in our planned (not for profit) YamDaisy Cafe (www.yamdaisy.com). It is on the menu because it is a popular comfort meal but I've never eaten meatloaf - let alone made one!

It wasn't something my mum cooked, in fact I always heard of it as boring cheap food that you would want to avoid, although when I was vegetarian I made lots of vegetarian nutloaves, very yummy ones with brown rice and ground nuts and finely sliced or grated veggies: held together with eggs and cheese.

But now I want to make one so I can demonstrate it for this menu, and to feed myself ofcourse! I have looked through the various threads on these forums, and googled generally. The cafe will have a tight budget, and also follows the Australian dietary guidelines, so adding veggies is great as it extends the meat, adds veg, and makes the loaf lovely and moist. I have my eye on Kye's Country Meatloaf on the first page of this thread (number 9).

Here are my questions:
People talk about it being fatty and greasy and best cooked open (not in a loaf tin) so the fat can drain away. What? Can't I just use leaner mince?

Glazing: this sounds nice, but I love the roasty top (of those vegetarian loaves). What is the point of the glaze? Does it replace having tomato sauce with it?

Does it need a sauce or gravy with it? What is your favourite?

Any suggestions and tips would be gratefully received! Thanks!

Likes (0)

#49 Mon 28 Apr 14 5:53am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Hello Meatloafers!
I've just been researching meatloaf recipes because I want to make one. It is to demonstrate the food in our planned (not for profit) YamDaisy Cafe (www.yamdaisy.com). It is on the menu because it is a popular comfort meal but I've never eaten meatloaf - let alone made one!

Here are my questions:
People talk about it being fatty and greasy and best cooked open (not in a loaf tin) so the fat can drain away. What? Can't I just use leaner mince?

Glazing: this sounds nice, but I love the roasty top (of those vegetarian loaves). What is the point of the glaze? Does it replace having tomato sauce with it?

Does it need a sauce or gravy with it? What is your favourite?

Any suggestions and tips would be gratefully received! Thanks!

You could use a leaner hamburger, but you will need some fat for flavor (dry meatloaf is blah meatloaf).  A pan that will drain off the excess fat is fine, but don't sacrifice flavor. 

Glaze/sauce/gravy on top is a personal preference.  I've never tried a veggie meatloaf.  Maybe press some veggies into the top for that roasty top.

Likes (0)

#50 Mon 28 Apr 14 2:07pm

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

My Mum used to make a great and "healthy" meatloaf.  Don't know exact ingredients but half the meat mix went in the pan then a layer of cooked spinach, then a thin layer of melting cheese, another layer of spinach, then the meat again. Topped with a tomato sauce (passata) and baked.

Likes (0)