Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 06 Mar 12 1:34pm

Jinglewaffle

Member since Tue 22 Mar 11

Pizza Dough

Hi guys

I just got Jamie's italy and the pizzas look amazing.
The dough recipe says 800g bread flour then 200g semolina or 200g bread flour.

I might be being stupid but is that 1kg of bread flour if you can't get semolina flour?

Also can pizza bases be frozen?

Thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 06 Mar 12 3:47pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Re: Pizza Dough

I don't know about Jamie's pizza dough recipe, but I make homemade dough all the time and use only all purpose flour (usually with a little whole wheat flour added in). So, I would think all bread flour would be okay. 

You can definitely freeze pizza dough. I do it all the time because my recipe makes 2 huge pizzas, which is normally way too much for my family. I just freeze it in a flattened disk in a Ziploc, but do it after the dough rises.  smile

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 06 Mar 12 5:26pm

Jinglewaffle

Member since Tue 22 Mar 11

Thank you.

Im thinking of getting a pizza stone to cook them on. Is this the best way to cook them?

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 06 Mar 12 6:13pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Jinglewaffle, if you can find it, try using 00 flour.  It is amazing stuff to work with and you get a more original Italian style pizza.  Also, it doesn't hurt to let the dough sit in the fridge for overnight.  It develops a better flavor through the fermentation.
Just my opinion.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 06 Mar 12 8:47pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Eddie - I'm going to try the overnight trick. I bet that would make it taste even better.  I don't know where to get 00 flour, which is why I just use AP flour.  hmm 

Jinglewaffle - You don't have to have a stone, but if you want to get one, it would probably be worth it. I just recently started using one because OH came home with one after a trip to Costco.  thumbsup Before that, I used a pizza pan that has small holes all over the bottom of it, and that worked well, too.

I've been playing around with the stone, and it definitely does make a crisper crust, but you have to preheat it before putting the pizza on it. I just make my pizza on parchment paper, and then when the stone is preheated, slide it onto the stone (easier clean-up that way, too).

The instructions that came with my stone must have been translated into English from some other language because it mentions preheating the stone on one page, and then 2 pages later, it says not to or it might crack.  roll  I finally just decided that it was cheap enough to replace and went ahead and preheated it, and it made a much better pizza than when I didn't preheat it.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 06 Mar 12 9:19pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

A five to seven day ferment gives ammazing flavour if you ever plan to make pizza that far ahead. .  With such a long ferment I cut down on the amount of yeast though.  Half to a third of what a  recipe that is used right away calls for works best, otherwise it gets too yeasty and interferes with the flavour you develop with the long ferment.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#7 Tue 06 Mar 12 11:13pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

OO, AP,
CIA, ASPCA, CAT..(hubbies work) SDF.. (mine)...is there any way we can talk international instead of flour codes. OO, AP have no meaning to many of us.

Can i join in and post 'my Italien' pizza dough that i posted for a new timer that hasn't seemingly returned..

This one works every time..for me smile

After trying many pizza doughs in the past here is the one i have adopted and works really well:

250g flour
15g yeast
pinch of sugar
1/2 t spoon salt
2 soup spoons olive oil

In a cup mix the yeast and sugar in warm (not tap) water and place somewhere warm until it starts frothing.

Mix the flour, salt, olive oil together and add the yeast...then little by little add water until you have a smooth ball....it only takes a very little water so go slowly.

Work the pastry by hand until the ball is elastic, lightly twirl the pastry around in very little olive oil at the bottom of a bowl, add a little flour and let it rest for one hour....i cover mine with film which keeps the warmth in....leave in a warm place, in the summer i leave it on the outside table in the sun.

Instead of a rolling pin use your hands and fingers to form the pizza base.

The edges can be turned over filled with grated cheese....or sliced off to make cheese curlies...roll them out, add grated cheese, turn over and add more cheese, roll again etc...then twirl them lightly and brown in the oven.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 06 Mar 12 11:17pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

thumbsup  big_smile brava kyeeeee think  think  oops I have a sweet bread rising in the corner of my kitchen and must bake it
run run run lol

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Tue 06 Mar 12 11:18pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 06 Mar 12 11:20pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Hi Kye, I usually only use bread making flour for pizza and bread, cake flour for cakes and scones, OO is for pasta, there are so many types you could go crazy making decisions of which to buy. The pizza recipe is basically the same as yours except I use a machine with dough hook.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 06 Mar 12 11:43pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Birdy, why were they talking about OO for pizza dough up there....confused me!!

In GB they have self raising flour... hmm does it raise alone without added yeast, i have never trusted it to do the work alone.

In France we have flour....type 45/55 for breads and i use the same for cakes and add yeast.

Likes (0)