forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Sat 17 Mar 12 7:10pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: let me ask my silly question of the day

Yes, please do so.

I have lost my wire for my camera, so i can't get pics onto the blogs anymore...so annoying....if i buy a new one i'm sure that i'll find the old at the same time  roll

Likes (0)

#42 Sat 17 Mar 12 7:23pm

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

I know what you mean. The picture is on my blog then.

Likes (0)

#43 Sat 17 Mar 12 7:24pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

thumbsup  clap  big_smile

Likes (0)

#44 Sat 17 Mar 12 10:03pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Sorry to go back to Rhubarb, but having grown it for 50 years or so & totally loving the stuff.........I shall weigh in with my fourpennyworth:

Rhubarb does best when there is a period each winter of subzero temperatures.
Warmer winters don't do this plant any good at all.

Rhubarb is a vegetable, rather than a fruit (a bit of useless info there)

Rhubarb leaves are poisonous, but are very good in the compost heap.

Forcing Rhubarb should produce very long, very pale & very tender stems with a small amount of leaf.
An old dustbin placed over the crown allows plenty of space & air, & excludes all light (which is essential for long, tender stems). I use an old black plastic one with bricks placed on top in windy weather, & insulated when frost is forecast. If you use a bin or something of that sort of size, you needn't worry about the stalks getting too big for the container.

Rhubarb is a 'greedy feeder' so top-dress the crowns with very well-rotted manure every autumn, if you do so the flavour will improve & so will the root-stock.
I only divide the crown when the plant gets too big for its space, & there seems always to be someone who wants a crown for their own garden.

Be very gentle with the cooking of forced rhubarb, it is delicate in flavour & texture, & is easy to be overly heavy-handed with. I tend to pan-cook it in a very little butter, adding honey or sugar to taste when it almost cooked. It is completely wasted on heavier puds/baking, but is wonderful served with oily fish (not overly sweet) or as a compote accompanying other things (Pannecotta, ginger sponge, ice-cream etc).

I cannnot better the advice to have 3 crowns on the go at once........one for forcing, one for open-air summer fruiting, & one resting for next Spring.........I have 2 sets of 3 in my garden (the best for forcing is the Champagne Rhubarb, & I look forward to it next Spring)

Likes (0)

#45 Sat 17 Mar 12 11:17pm

Kye

Forum super champ

I have never done 'forced' Rhubarb. Great hints minni.

The leaves from Rhubarbe are also macerated in water for a few days, then sprayed on aphids........but only if they are on the tomato plants, i leave them to the Ladybirds when they are on the rose bushes.

Likes (0)

#46 Sat 17 Mar 12 11:19pm

minerva

Forum champ

Oh yes, good one..........I forgot the insecticide tip.......well remembered!

Likes (0)

#47 Sat 17 Mar 12 11:36pm

Kye

Forum super champ

I remember my Mother-In-Law chopping those leaves up under the rain and leaving them to soak around her tomato plants.

Likes (0)

#48 Sun 18 Mar 12 1:16am

minerva

Forum champ

.......& in the same vein, did she make nettle-wash?
It stinks to high heavens, but it is a plant tonic & the aphids don't like it at the same time..........so, double whammy!

Likes (0)

#49 Sun 08 Apr 12 4:31pm

rumi512

Member since Tue 20 Mar 12

i am gardening with roses but the main problem is my flower is not big in sizes though it was when i bought it. what to do,i am using compost for its health but no solution.

<a href="http://www.acmepanel.biz"> Plz help </a>  sad

Likes (0)

#50 Sun 08 Apr 12 4:40pm

Kye

Forum super champ

minerva wrote:

.......& in the same vein, did she make nettle-wash?
It stinks to high heavens, but it is a plant tonic & the aphids don't like it at the same time..........so, double whammy!

Just seen this....No she never made nettle-wash. I did a couple of years ago after learning about it from you, put it right at the end of the garden...O/H threw it away hmm  lol

Likes (0)