forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 10 Apr 12 11:23pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Brisling/sardine recipes?

For various reasons, I'm trying to increase my family's intake of omega-3's, so I've been buying different types of fish, walnuts, oils, etc. I have a can of brisling I bought, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

What are some of your favorite brisling/sardine recipes? Also, any kid-friendly recipes?

Thanks!  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 10 Apr 12 11:46pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Brisling/sardine recipes?

I often take the central bone away and lay them side up all around in an oven tray or pan, add some grated stale bread and parmesan mixed with garlic, a veil of evo oil and a squeeze of lemon on top, salt obviously ...... if you like finely sliced parsley when you take them out of the oven. It takes less than 10 mins to be ready at around 200

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 11 Apr 12 2:55am

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

Not really kid friendly, but I love it.  Take out the central bone, lay on pumpernickel bread coated with spicy mustard, add a few very thin slices of red onion, top with another slice of bread, cut into slices and serve as a great appetizer with a gin martini, or champagne, (or anything).

I know that's probably not what you were looking for. whistle

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 11 Apr 12 7:24am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Why take the bone out? ESPECIALY for kids? They are safe to eat and loaded with calcium. As kid friendly recipies go, sardine sandwiches with lightly toasted rye bread, the fish, and something pickled (to cut the oilines of the fish) are your best bet. As far as brisling goes, they're best when coated with some flour (preferably whole grain) flash-fried (quickly on very high heat to crisp them up and stop them from soaking up oil) then tossed with a little sea-salt and chilli powder. Eat hot with some marinated olives on the side. A great alternative to crisps.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 11 Apr 12 5:44pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

If you google Pilchard (Sardine) & Sprat (Brisling).......which are the names the British traditionally know these fish as..........you will find more recipes to try.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 11 Apr 12 5:49pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Fish cakes ? You can oven cook if you dont want to fry......slow oven and turn often. But will kiddies like them Mmm not sure, these canned little fishes are very fishy flavoured.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 11 Apr 12 6:36pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

A lot of kids like sardines.  I used to eat them in crackers as a kid, bones and all.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 11 Apr 12 7:40pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

mincepie wrote:

Fish cakes ? You can oven cook if you dont want to fry......slow oven and turn often. But will kiddies like them Mmm not sure, these canned little fishes are very fishy flavoured.

Canned???? You can buy fresh on any good fish counter!

I can get good fat British Sardines/Pilchards very easily where I live.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 11 Apr 12 8:54pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Being a portuguese my favourite way of eating sardines is simply grill them in charcoal. Just salt and nothing else. I mention charcoal cause if you grill them in an electric grill it wont be the same.

You can also do a Caldeirada which is a very simple stew. I've posted the recipe here on the forum so you should find it. Let me know if you dont.
I've a 3yr old son and he eats sardines. In fact he eats all the fish we give him. Or meat for that matter.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 11 Apr 12 9:17pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We had fresh sardines grilled in Barcelona -  thumbsup   I love grilled mackerel, but don't see fresh mackerel in the shops.

Likes (0)