forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 12 Apr 12 11:15am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I ate Herman the sourdough friendship cake and 'he' was pretty tasty !

10 days ago a freind arrived at my door carrying a pot of sticky loooking goo !
She stood there and anounced , " I'd like to introduce you to herman , This is Herman !" as she passed me this pot of goo and these are the instructions on how to look after him ... I was given a sheet of paper with the instructions.
To start with I had to put Herman into a bowl and cover him loosley with a tea towel .
Herman is a freindship cake , its a sourdough cake , hence the pot of 'goo' ,which was the starter culture.
Herman was not allowed in the fridge or he would stop bubbling and die .

For the first 3 days all I had to do to Hermen was to stir 'him' and then on the 4th day poor Herman was hungry and needed to be fed , he required 1 cup each of Plain Flour ( 4oz)..Granulated sugar (8oz) and Milk (240 mls ) and then stirred.

so far so good.. the next 4 days ,( days 5,6,7 and 8) all I had to do was to stir Herman again but on day 9 , it was Hermans big moment ... Yes he was hungry again .
Day 9..I had to feed him the same as on day 4 ..Plain Flour ( 4oz)..Granulated sugar (8oz) and Milk (240 mls ) and then stirred... and then after a good stir Herman needed to be divided into 4 equal portions .

So now we have Herman , fed and split into 4 equal parts .
3 parts were to be passed on to friends ( plus instructions )  and the 4th part was to stay with me.

Day 10 and the now smaller sized Herman is very hungry ( so the instructions tell me !)
He needed a good stir and the following ingredients adding..

* 1 Cup of caster sugar / superfine  sugar  ( 225g or 8oz )
* half a teaspoon of salt
* 2 cups of plain / all purpose  flour  ( 225g or 8 oz )
* 2/3 cup of cooking oil (175mls)
* 2 eggs
* 2 cooking apples cut into chunks
* 1 cup raisins
* 2 heaped teaspoons of cinnamon
* 2 heaped teaspoons of baking powder
* other options are pineapple/cherries/chocolate drops...

I had to mix everything together and put it into a large greased baking tin.
Sprinkle with a quarter of a cup of brown sugar ( 2oz ) and a quarter of a cup of melted butter .
Then bake in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes at 170 to 180 degrees C.

I did all this giving one part to my daughter who was going back to London , one part to a neighbour down the road and one part to a young boy of 11 years old.
I baked Herman yesterday , using the instructions given but used the died fruit that I had dusted with mixed spices (ready for making hotcross buns and had not managed to make as many as I had  hoped I would ).
I also split the mixture between a large loaf tin and 2 small indervidual loaf tins.
http://www.jamieoliver.com:81/bloggers/ … p?id=77232

I will admit that I had a bit of an accident with the sugar and managed to spill quite a bit on the top of the cakes, more than should have been on them deffinatly
(that was caused by a combination of a  wretched wonky arm and shaking the sugar straight from the tin  lol  oops ).

Hernman as a result of the extra-extra sugar on top browned very quickly and I had to cover the top with a sheet of baking paper , the 2 smaller ones were first out of the oven and I could not resist cuttling 1 in half to look at the texture.
The otherone I did manage to crack (being a bit clumsy ) and after a quick photo for the blogs I took it still hot to my nextdoor neighbour who as it smelt so good started to pick littlle bits off the edge and eat it whilst she was talking to me !!
Larger Herman was being sent to work with my darling so all could enjoy at the coffee break time.

Well I ate half of the little herman , the half that I had cut and he was vey tasty ,I do sort of regret following the instructions and passing on the other 3 parts as I now have to wait again before I am given another starter culture or make a starter myself.
The extra sugar on the top gave Herman a good crisp topping , although it was just a little sweet for me , but, my darling thought the sweetness was just perfect !

I have been thinking that it might be a nice idea for us all to make a Herman and pass the culture to our friends on the Food Revolution day on May the 19th.
I will write on a different thread the instructions as then it can be linked into the food revolution page.

Herman was such an easy cake to make and it looke to me like varios things can be added to it to alter its taste and texture, different dried fruits, different nuts or spices . It would be good to pass this on to our friends. May 19th seems a great day to do so.

Last edited by mummza (Thu 12 Apr 12 1:42pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 12 Apr 12 12:33pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Re: I ate Herman the sourdough friendship cake and 'he' was pretty tasty !

Oh, Amish Friendship Bread! Yum! I haven't had that since I was in high school, and my friend gave me some starter. Good idea, mummza!  smile

There are a whole bunch of different things other than bread you can make with the starter. Muffins, brownies, etc. See this link:  http://www.friendshipbreadkitchen.com/recipe-box

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 12 Apr 12 2:34pm

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

I've made it several times in the past and it's indeed pretty good.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 12 Apr 12 6:03pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Hermann has a savory brother called Siegfried.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 12 Apr 12 9:44pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Lor, a blast from the past.............I had a 'Herman' 1981-3, but i have to admit that after a couple of years we were herman'd out & I let my share die (after giving a nasty case of the Hermans to virtually everybody I knew............& are now no longer my friends.........thanks, Herman!), though I have to say all the ingredients on the instructions in those days were in weights-Imperial & not the dreaded 'cups'.

Before we became glazed-eyed over Herman, I have to say we rather enjoyed him.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 13 Apr 12 1:44am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I had a friendship cake going about 20 years ago. My instructions allowed me to keep one of the portions, and infact my friends got a bit tired of being offered some! whistle
I enjoyed it though!  I had it for many months before I wanted a break.
Too sweet for me now, I need brother Siegfried!
cool

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 13 Apr 12 8:53am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

My BF in the UK had a Herman going a while back, but we didn't think it'd survive in the post!  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 13 Apr 12 10:19am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

minerva wrote:

Lor, a blast from the past.............I had a 'Herman' 1981-3, but i have to admit that after a couple of years we were herman'd out & I let my share die (after giving a nasty case of the Hermans to virtually everybody I knew............& are now no longer my friends.........thanks, Herman!), though I have to say all the ingredients on the instructions in those days were in weights-Imperial & not the dreaded 'cups'.

Before we became glazed-eyed over Herman, I have to say we rather enjoyed him.

Maybe People have learned about 'Hermem' over the years as I had to divide the old boy into 4  Parts , give 3 away and cook the last part !

Now I have no Herman in my life at all !!! lol

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 13 Apr 12 10:56am

Nikisha

From Vienna, Austria
Member since Mon 20 Dec 04

I had a Herman back when I was 13 or 14, it was THE thing to have in our school back then. lol

I'd love to have one again, is there anywhere where I can find the orignal recipe to start one?

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 13 Apr 12 2:50pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I don't think the recipe to actually start a Herman survived the Big Bang (Herman has existed since before the world began!)............lots of people think it's an 'urban myth' until one day Herman turns up on your doorstep (like Paddington Bear, with his instructions on an attached luggage label) & says he's staying for a while!

Likes (0)