Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Whats For Supper?

joobes wrote:

cohphanta wrote:

joobes wrote:

Just Googled it and it sounds lovely.
I have practically everything in the house to make this, just need some chicken livers, ground pork and Cajun seasoning. I think I now know what's for supper tonight, I was wondering what to do as well.  thumbsup

Joobs, I leave out the liver unless it's a "special" occassion. Last nights was "cheap" dirty rice! Ground beef, rice, onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic powder.

Oh that's great, I guess a dish like this is quite versatile and you could use any ground meat. Would you use chorizo as well, or would we be edging toward a kind of Jambalaya. Then again I dont suppose that would matter too much, thats the beauty of cooking.  smile

I've made mine with ground meat and andouille sausage so I would guess you could use chorizo.
The beauty of cajun cooking Joobs is it was/is based on making a meal with what you have on hand. I've also made dirty rice with carrots added...and is simply divine. My mom would sometimes use turnips or cabbage.

Likes (0)

#20232 Fri 13 Apr 12 4:40pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Stargazey Pie (using Mackerel fillets instead of Pilchards/Sardines), Saffron Mash, steamed veg (h/grown)

Gingered Rhubarb Tart, with Clotted Cream

(A proper job Cornish Dinner)

Likes (0)

#20233 Fri 13 Apr 12 5:18pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Wanted to make my best freind's prawn and chorizo rice pot, but I'm missing the two basic ingredients, prawns and chorizo, so it's going to be chicken burritos.

Likes (0)

#20234 Fri 13 Apr 12 7:32pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Coco, interested that you only use chicken livers for "special occasions". Where I live, they are (if you can find them) $2.00/kg and sold as dog food.

Before I became gluten sensitive I used to make pasta Veronique with chicken livers and grapes.

Before the very sad and sudden loss (I was only "rabitting on with her re our love of decorated shoes-pref red two/three w/e ago) of MsK, I requested a couple of times to do a Southern US tbeme on another thread. I've been to New Orleans several times (a six week stint with US Red Cross after Katrina included). 

Southern food has always mystified me. Po Boy remains a major question mark. But I'm all for learning. A lot of the ingredients are difficult to find here. My chances of finding andouille sausage is like finding a needle in a haystack. But I'm "game".

But May is for honouring MsK- apple pie (see L/O thread "wouldn't it be cool".

May 4 would have been GeoffP's 66th birthday. Maybe we can fit in a curry month sometime for him. Almost three years since he left us.

Deb, long time no see. A pleasant surprise. Welcome back (if you've been away).

Minnie, admit I was only down your way in Summer/early Autumn but Stargazey Pie was *not* on the menu at the B&Bs or pubs (or it went by another name not to frighten the tourists smile. Sounds interesting.

Must get to bed Orthodox Easter approaches (with its cooking) wave all

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#20235 Sat 14 Apr 12 12:28pm

Maree

Forum super champ

So quiet here. My dinner tonight was leftover Indian from a couple of nights ago.

Today's energy has gone into preparations for Greek Easter tomorrow.

The eggs have been dyed; the dips made; the calamari has been cleaned for the calamari salad; the lamb has been prepared and is in the fridge ready for me to take out in the morning; the dough for the traditional plaited bread is done and is inthe fridge for me to take out in the morning, have another rise when it comes out of the fridge and then plaited and the three eggs added atop prior baking. The tradtional rice pudding has been made.

The table's set. A bowl of red eggs is centre piece for the traditional "egg smashing" contest. Think I'll be having lots of meals with hard boiled eggs for the next few days.

That just leaves me the veg and salad to prep n cook, the calamari, the lamb and the bread to cook tomorrow and, of course, the Greek salad to make. The dressings for it and the calamari salad are made and in jars in the fridge.

Phew! Ironically, I'm neither Greek nor Orthodox but no one has "done" Greek Easter since my FIL passed away two years ago and I like to maintain tradition(s).

Night all wave

Likes (0)

#20236 Sat 14 Apr 12 1:21pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Last night, we had homemade pizza. Tonight, we're having pulled pork, and for dessert, strawberry ice box pie. I made the pie yesterday, and it's been really hard not to eat it.   tongue

Likes (0)

#20237 Sat 14 Apr 12 1:28pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Mommyof2nc, please excuse my ignorance but what is "strawberry ice box pie"?

Likes (0)

#20238 Sat 14 Apr 12 1:32pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Maree wrote:

Mommyof2nc, please excuse my ignorance but what is "strawberry ice box pie"?

It's a strawberry pie that isn't baked. The crust (obviously) is baked, but the filling has gelatin in it, so it sets up in the refrigerator. I think it's a classic American diner-type pie, but don't quote me on that.  hmm

Likes (0)

#20239 Sat 14 Apr 12 2:01pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Thank you thumbsup

Likes (0)

#20240 Sat 14 Apr 12 2:23pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I'm going to cook ribs over onion, carrot, apple and potato slices in the slow cooker, coated in bbq sauce, fennel salad with cara-cara orange/sesame oil dressing and caramelized pineapple/coconut macaroons for dessert (the cookies are a David Lebovitz recipe).

Likes (0)