forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 10 Apr 12 9:26am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Sustainable living....Is it possible or Plausible even?

Is it possible to live sustainably or is this an idiom of alternative lifestyle people, should it be a priority or is it already too late?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 10 Apr 12 12:50pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Sustainable living....Is it possible or Plausible even?

I think it's possible, if more people cared.  If more people helped. There are so many things that can be done that is better for everyone, but so many people just don't care.   Even if you try to reason with them, no matter what the issue.  Like buying local for example. I try my best to buy from local shops or at least smaller chains from my area.  I don't need to have any particular fruit or veg available every single day of the year, just in case I might want to eat it, but many people get upset if the one they want isn't in stock. I live in Florida, land of the oranges, but in almost every grocery store the oranges are from Chile or some other place far way.  I don't even mind if it's from California, at least is US grown. There is no need to get them from so far way.....

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 10 Apr 12 4:06pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

when I'm in doubt if it's worth it I always think to my nipotina and it's immediately clear that YES it's something we must do for those who came after us
clap  clap  clap for your video shammy big_smile  thumbsup

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Tue 10 Apr 12 4:07pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 13 Apr 12 1:27pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Thanks Grand_Ma.

Yes I agree we need to care and think about our impact on the planet and what kind of place we are leaving behind.

We are recycling, composting, growing our own vegs and herbs, freezing produce and making preserves. Also passing off extra vegs. to the "Produce to the people" movement we have here.

We have also instilled a large tank to catch rainwater to water the garden so we can cut down the water bill.

I am also trying to remember to re-use the grey water as well.

There is a great deal to be learned but the effort is so worth the returns in the end.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 13 Apr 12 5:26pm

mark's kitchen

Occupation Head cook, Mark's Kitchen & Smokin' BBQ
From santa rosa,california,usa
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

The human race, and other races I bet, live to sustaine life. Hense procreation.
The larger question is can the mind set of the people of the world be changed? Heck can the mind set of the rulers be changed? How about the mindset of everyone in your town?
Being a child of the 60s, I remember that there was a mass movement to change the mids and ways of thinking of whole nations. Did it work? I quess that in the end if every person makes changes in their own lives then perhaps we can live sustainably. To what degree and how many of us in the world will it affect, now that's another question.

Happy weekend!!!!!

Mark

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 13 Apr 12 11:11pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Only if as small children we are taught to care for ourselves & others equally, to be respectful as a matter of course, & to use only what is necessary rather than simply because it is there.

From that comes the creative urge to produce, use & respect the things we need for a good & useful life.

I find adverts suggesting you must have some luxury or other, 'because you deserve it...' (ie L'Oreal etc) offensive...........no! you don't deserve it (only in exeptional circumstances) or you are mistaking 'deserve' for 'desire'.

Sustainable living..........possible?
Yes...but unlikely whilst there are people who think they deserve what they desire.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 14 Apr 12 12:04am

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

As someone who has always relied upon the transport of goods and people for my living I have frequently found myself in the position of defending that industry and its subsidiaries.  I recall at a Motorcycle Action Group AGM one year making the point that everything that every member ate, drank, smoked or used to repair his or her bike was delivered in a truck.  Idealistically it would be nice to look forward to a future when that truck will not be powered directly or indirectly by fossil fuel, but it will not happen in my lifetime.  On the other hand I recognise that the dictatorial cult of the motorcar will, if left unchecked, probably destroy human and other life on this planet.  As a recently unemployed engineer I had the option of applying for a position with Jaguar Land Rover, but I could not morally consider working for a company that produces an example of environmental vandalism like the Range Rover.  Similarly, as noted above, modern cars are designed to last way longer than they ever did, but we are under constant pressure to “upgrade” to the latest model at vast cost in raw materials and production and disposal energy consumption.  Why?  I have a car and when it breaks I will buy another.  How long before we are pressurised to similarly update such innocuous utilities as a can opener or a kettle with the implied threat that our peers will think less of us if we do not possess the latest model?  I understand that it has already happened with that most mundane of tools the telephone.  Ask a Range Rover driver if he wants to kill his grandchildren and he will look at you like you are barking mad; these people really cannot comprehend the blindingly obvious evidence that they are doing precisely that.  So, rant over, back on topic, sustainable, plausible?  Theoretically yes, but in the absence of an unprecedented shift in human nature, probably unlikely.

Last edited by Mr Grumpy (Sat 14 Apr 12 12:10am)

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 14 Apr 12 12:12am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Until we move away from fossil fuels , not just gasoline, think of all the plastics and synthetic fabrics.  Sustainable living will be a moving target that is impossible to hit but still worth working towards.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#9 Sat 14 Apr 12 12:49am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

We have a very long way further to advance before intelligently considering 'a U turn'   though in itself is not sufficient, todays consumptioners are lost with i phones, packed nappies, crap foods in plastic covers, tin cans.

Range Rovers in GB are fashionable toys, i have only seen them droven by blond haired women for shopping at the local stores...perhaps their husbands need them the week-end when they go hunting??

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 14 Apr 12 1:11am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

All my hope is that sustainable living is possible, it will be the ruin of our beautiful planet if not.

The change will come by individuals building critical mass, but it seems to me that the things that will make the biggest difference will be in changes in big business practices: production and transport of energy and food etc.

And the choices that raise quality in everyone's lives and allow population growth to slow may be humanities greatest gift to the earth!

(thankyou everyone, climb off soapbox)

Likes (0)