Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 14 Apr 12 10:10am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Plants in Pots

As I live up on the 4th floor, everything we have is in pots. I will fess up here and now that i know nothing about growing anything and tend to kill anything I touch. My ex used to handle all that kind of thing so I simply let her take care of it.

Everything is on a timed irrigation system so water is not an issue. I'm realising that likely some kind of fertilizer is needed and am guessing that a pellet type might be best as it will release over time and require less maintenance.

This is a whole new learning curve for me.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 14 Apr 12 10:32am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Plants in Pots

Good luck Falconcy,
I have found it is 1 part research and 9 parts trial and error!

Locally the move is away from the pellet fertilisers and towards liquid fertilisers. The two I use maybe Australian only, especially Charlie Carp http://www.charliecarp.com/
which is made from the European carp infesting the Murray River.
Seasol http://www.seasol.com.au/index.php/home-garden/seasol
is called a conditioner. And it really does seem helpful.
I use these two plus my compost  (I add manure and potash and 'blood and bone' (another Australian thing)).  I start pots with 2/3 good potting mix and 1/3 compost.
This seems to keep my pots happy.
I have a good little local nursery and I think they gave me good advice. Hopefully you have a good local one too?

Other tip: use the biggest pots you can manage! smile

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Sat 14 Apr 12 10:33am)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 14 Apr 12 11:31am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

crossed  crossed for you and your plants, it's never to late to discover new skills and friends, you'll end going there in the morning and talking to them  .......... it's the best fertilizer  wink  lol wave

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 14 Apr 12 12:42pm

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

Good luck Falcony. You will for sure have much fun with your new learning experience. It's always nice to walk by the plants and check how they are doing.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 14 Apr 12 12:53pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

I picked up some Algoflash liquid fertilizer which has good reviews. I may spray the leaves as well as apparently this is supposed to work better.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 14 Apr 12 3:58pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Start with a good water retaining potting mix and compost ratio suitable for what you are planting. Your nursey should be able to advise you.

When you select your plants read the planting guide for your care instructions, re- positioning and fertilising etc or ask  at your place of purchase.

Keep an eye on your plants for any bug invasions and treat accordingly.

Take notes on what works and what doesn't.

Like life it is a a bit of a learning curve. Just have fun and happy growing!

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 17 Apr 12 3:40pm

aflower

Member since Sat 25 Feb 12

Good luck Falconcy! I'm in a similar situation. Growing for the first time and mostly in pots. Am learning every day but going to take a few years before I know enough! I just hope that SOMETHING grows so I can harvest! Had a few problems with lanky herbs so far! This forum has helped a lot already! Think most of my problems stem from the basics of watering correctly for each plant and temperature/sunlight levels! Also had a few fry in a polythene greenhouse thing!

Hope you have better luck than me!

What are you growing?

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 18 Apr 12 8:34am

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

Me too, I grow everything in pots on windowsills of my 2nd floor flat and have been for 3 years. There have been some resounding triumphs and some epic fails. the poster who said it was 1 part learning to 9 parts trial and error is absolutely right, but you will get to know what works in your conditions and what doesnt. Ive struggled with peppers and chillies despite having a huge south facing bay window,then again basil and leaf lettuces go nuts. I been plagued with pests too which could only hace come from the compost so make sure you start off with good compost and good quality fresh seeds! All the best!

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 01 May 12 3:56am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I've had best luck with greens too! Herbs, rocket, sorrel, chard, lettuce.
I keep trying tomatoes but I can't say I've had a really successful plant yet! sad

Aflower it was watering that was the biggest challenge for me when I moved to gardening in pots!
I had been used to garden beds that liked being watered deeply once a week. When I did that to pots the water all ran out the bottom, taking all the nutrients with it! And then they would be drooping a couple of days later.

Now I water little and often just to keep the soil damp.

Likes (0)