forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 04 Apr 12 1:34am

mark's kitchen

Occupation Head cook, Mark's Kitchen & Smokin' BBQ
From santa rosa,california,usa
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

please help with pot size for herbs

I am going to transplant  my meager assortment of herbs into outdoor pots. I have read elswhere that you need to pick the correct sized pot so the roots don't get crowded or have too much room. I have thyme, flat parsley, oregano, and plan on basil. I need to keep the herbs in pots as opposed to planting in the ground because my dogs will pee on anything. Please help
if you can.

Mark

Last edited by mark's kitchen (Wed 04 Apr 12 1:35am)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 04 Apr 12 2:04am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: please help with pot size for herbs

Hi Mark,
I am still working things out by trial and error with pots, eg is moving them up from size to size more disruption than starting them off in a pot too big?

It also makes a difference if you are treating them as annuals or to be picked young for the table. eg some people grow lots of basil thickly in a pot and then harvest the lot when they are about 20cm tall. (Or even more extremely for micro herbs).

Because my eye is on longer term growing I go for the biggest pots I can. These don't dry out so easily or need feeding so often. I started off with those white polystyrene containers I could get for free from the back of the veggie shop. (This sort of thing): http://permaculturepathways.blogspot.co … -gift.html
They insulate well and are a good size to hold a couple of plants but still be movable.
(I put holes in the bottom with a screwdriver.)

I started off my thyme in one of these with a few other herbs in, but after several years it has taken over the whole box.

I planted basil seedling in two of these. I divided a punnet between them. But I harvested some early so now I have three pants in each box that have fed me and my neighbours all through Summer.

Parsley has a long taproot and hates being moved. The long tap root means it needs a deep container. Mine selfseeds now, I get hundreds every year and just keep those that grow in the most convenient pots.

Oregano can also grow to quite a big bush.
Like the thyme, I would start it off in a big pot with a few little plants around it (lettuce, radish, rocket...) and then by the time they are picked and eaten the oregano can take over the whole pot.

Best wishes
rambling Joy  whistle  smile

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 04 Apr 12 5:12pm

mark's kitchen

Joy, thank you for the detailed post. Lots of good info.

Mark

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 05 Apr 12 12:32am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

wave

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 15 Apr 12 7:49pm

aflower

Member since Sat 25 Feb 12

You can also get biodegradable pots that look like cardboard for the herbs that don't like too much root disruption. you can start off with the really small ones and as they grow you can just plant the whole pot into either a bigger pot or the garden depending on your preference/type of herb. I have heard that coriander and parsley prefer this method as they hate being transfered. I am only growing for the first time myself so thats not first hand experience but advice I had given to me and research etc. If you do use this method you will need to make sure they dont dry out though as the water evaporates quite quickly from the sides of these pots as well as the top. I have been watering twice a day just to keep things from drying out completely! Good luck! crossed

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 16 Apr 12 7:58pm

mark's kitchen

Aflower, thanks for the info. My basil starter plant came in such a bio pot. Cut the bottom half off and planted in dirt. Nice idea. I ended up with #10 pots, suggested I not use smaller. The herbs are doing well so far! I wanna eat some!!!!!!

Mark

Likes (0)