forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 19 Mar 12 8:32pm

MarielH

Forum champ
Occupation Retired youngster but keeping busy!!
From Scotland
Member since Sun 14 Dec 08

Re: What are you growing this year?

Last year tried growing veg in plastic containers on the patio and will do same this year.  Had success with mixed salad leaves - lovely to pick fresh, spring onions and carrots.  Also parsley and coriander.

Going to expand this this year - even thought on buying a poly tunnel.  Got seed potatoes at the ready to start with - so enjoyed doing this last year smile

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 06 Apr 12 5:21pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I just got back from purchasing some herbs. I bought sweet basil, boxwood basil, rosemary, greek oregano, parsley, peppermint and spearmint. Can't wait to get them in their new planters. It will be nice on my balcony when I grill to smell those wonderful herbs.

I may go back to the nursery and get some tomatoes and peppers. I was tempted, but decided to just grab what I could get upstairs in one trip.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 06 Apr 12 7:12pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

I'll be growing not much with any great success if this dry weather keeps up. Hose pipe ban in place, water butts dry as a bone, could be hopeless.
I'll not bother with the runner beans this year, they need so much water and we'll have to ration it out.
Now what will grow in arrid conditions hmm

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 17 May 12 10:04pm

Thissalantine

Member since Thu 14 Apr 11

I'm playing with edible flowers this year! Who knew so many blooms were edible! And they make salads absolutely spectacular. Also, you can candy a few and decorate cupcakes and muffins with them! Also I planted a few herbs like basil, oregano and catnip for tea. That is, if the neighborhood cats leave me any! Veggie-wise just tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash. I'm hoping for a few new recipes for these too! *toothy hopeful grin*

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 17 May 12 10:06pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think that I started a thread on edible flowers some time ago and I also think there is a thread that MrOliver also started on the same topic.

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 17 May 12 10:11pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

yes.. that did not take me long Thissalantine , this is Mr. Oliver's thread..
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31352

and this is the thread that was started by me ..
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26153

Likes (0)