forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 15 May 12 1:48pm

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Re: Graduates supper clubs .. celebrating 10 years for Fifteen

Oh yes lucky you, have a wonderful time and look forward to hearing all about it.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 18 May 12 8:08am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa

Looking forward to hearing all about the supperclub.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 21 May 12 3:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Apologies for the delay... its been a busy week .. I will get my darling to edit the spelling and punctuation in this post as soon as he can...

......................SUPPER CLUB 15th MAY 2012.........................

I feel very fortunate to have been to the graduates' supper club on 15th May 2012. It was a really rainy day in London , pretty gray and chilly but walking through the doors of Fifteen for this month's supper club the atmosphere was immediatly warm and welcoming. Everyone was happy and smiling and the memories of that cold, grey rainy day evaporated  in seconds.

It is a joy to go into a happy room that is bustling with activity.
The chefs were busy cooking and preparing the meal we were shortly to eat but they were still happy to have a chat and make us feel very welcome.

It has become very apparent to me that every group of trainees that have passed through the doors of Fifteen must have been a very different group to teach. This group has a few huge caracters that are full of fun. Many of the group that were cooking for us that evening had not seen each other since they had left the training programme and were clearly delighted to be back togather, as a group, renewing their old friendships. Talking to them ,the group had seemed to reform just as it was during their training .

In the room where we were to be eating, Lloyd Hayes had started to cook the starter of risotto for us in one of the biggest pans that I have ever seen being used. To my amazement, he was only using one heat ring underneath the huge pan. He explained to us that, if you have a good quality pan, then it will conduct the heat and that is why a single heat ring was all that was needed.
The rice that was being used was Vialone Nana Rice which was a round grained rice, a variety of rice typically grown in and around Mantova and Verona.  It was produced by the Capittini rice factory. Learning about the correct rice to use and its production was part of the training that the Fifteen graduates received and the lessons learned had not been forgotten, as Lloyd explained to my daughter and me about the quality of the rice that he was using. 
It was interesting seeing such a large quantity of rissotto being prepared and I did at one time wonder if it was all going to fit into the pan, large as it was, with rice  expanding, as the fluid was added and the rice started to cook, filling the huge pan !
Into the cooking rice the fine chopped asparagus stems were added with much of the other veg being cooked separately and stirred in towards the end of the cooking .
(This is much as I do the rissotto at home and I was relieved to see that I have been making risotto in the right manner !)
Georgina Welling was also helping Lloyd with the rissotto. She was busy cooking the vegetables that were to be added in smallish batches whilst Lloyd was busy stiring the huge pan of rissotto. It must have taken quite a bit if strength to stir the rissotto as you will see whe you look at the the quantity being cooked in my photograph .

So this was the 'starter'...
'Risotto 'primavera' with asparagus , peas , broad beans ,courgettes , mint and grilled goats cheese '

The grilled goats cheese and a few green pea shoots were placed on top of the risotto and it looked so good that I almost forgot to take a picture for you all, only remembering after I had already eaten a forkfull !
Well , I can tell you that it was delicious , really good. I had not thought of putting goats cheese on top of a rissotto before but its definitetly something that I will  now do sometimes at home.

For the main course ...
Slow braised pig cheeks in cider with celiac puree, spring greens , caramelised apple and salsa verde.

As many of you know I am vegetarian and so, I am sure, my daughter will tell you all abut that in her post , in a day or so's time.
But I can tell you some of the comments that I was hearing...
" Ahh this is so delicious"
"this meat is so soft it simply melts in your mouth "
" Oh this is just lovely"
Now you have read this, you know it was just yummy !!

For the dessert ...
This was discribed as 'Chocolate fondant with a green cardamon caramel and a sea salt and almond ice-cream '

Now , you all know that I am not a dessert person but dessert was a delight , the most beautiful chocolate fondant. The chocolate fondant was pefect , all wonderfully gooey in the centre and a very light textured cake-like edge ... just lovely .
This  was served with rich smooth and creamy  ice-cream that had been sat on a little bed of crushed amaretti biscuits and to complement it perfectly was  beautiful salted green cardamon caramel sauce.
I love using green cardamon in baking and so to see it used also in the caramel , I found very exciting. I was looking forward to trying it and I was not disappointed.

( more to come as I will be writing about the chefs that were cooking and adding photos to my blog )

Last edited by mummza (Sun 27 May 12 9:07pm)

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 22 May 12 8:22am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa

Wow what an amazing time you must have had..  off to look at the photos.

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 22 May 12 8:25am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa

Mummza have you uploaded the photos as I cant seem to find them.

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 22 May 12 12:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

sorry Sandy , no not yet , I was exausted after such a busy weekend ,I'm haviing trouble getting them onto my computer but will win soon I hope !

Last edited by mummza (Tue 22 May 12 1:18pm)

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 22 May 12 2:26pm

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa

Looking forward to seeing them.

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 24 May 12 10:02pm

LuLuBell

From Cardiff
Member since Sat 08 Jul 06

Supper Club 15.05.2012 - Hosted by the Class of 2005

Well, where to start? One of the first things that struck me when I made my way up the stairs this month was how different the energy was compared to the previous supper club. Perhaps it was the music playing, or maybe it was the fact that I got there slightly later than last time and more people had arrived before me, but the Supper Club hosted by the Class of 2005 graduates just seemed to be busier than the previous one. Where the Class of 2004 graduates were relaxing and chatting, the Class of 2005 were also chatting, but were working furiously. Come to think of it, I think the answer lies in the menu. With risotto primavera for starters and chocolate fondant for dessert, most of the Class of 2005’s menu had to be cooked just before serving.

Still, despite the busyness, the Class of 2005 graduates were just as friendly and welcoming as those of 2004.  There was also some level of showmanship, with Lloyd Hayes making the risotto starter in an enormous cauldron like pan on a stove right alongside the tables. He chatted as he stirred, mostly about his new freelance food business which will go back to his culinary roots, West Indian Street Food. West Indian food is definitely not just about jerk chicken, but my boyfriend is a bit lover of spice, so I could not resist asking his secrets. The important thing, so Lloyd told me, is to make sure you use scotch bonnet chillies. They may be fierier than other varieties, but it’s their flavour that gives jerk chicken its distinctive taste. If you want to make a milder jerk sauce, instead of switching the scotch bonnets for a milder chilli, you should just reduce the quantities or remove the seeds. Lloyd is going to use his grandma’s jerk recipe in his business, although he’s had to adapt it a bit since she used three scotch bonnets, seeds and all!

The risotto itself was fantastic. Lloyd used Vialone Nano rice which, unlike other risotto rices, stops cooking once it is removed from the heat. This means that it doesn’t overcook and has a lovely al dente texture. I also loved that he had sautéed some courgettes with their flowers and stirred these into the risotto, with a lovely bit of creamy goat’s cheese to finish it off. It was a pretty filling starter and I had to resist the urge to wolf it all down so that I could save room for the main course; braised pig cheeks cooked by Joe Gray.

Pig cheeks are without a doubt my favourite cut of pork. Where others like a rich, fatty slice of pork belly with crackling, I would choose a beautifully tender braised pig cheek every time and Joe’s did not disappoint – it fell apart on my fork! It was served in a lovely, rich cider sauce with celeriac puree, cabbagey spring greens, salsa verde and best of all, a ring of caramelised apple which acted like the sweetest apple sauce.

So that was my savoury belly all filled, but I always have room for dessert; chocolate fondant with a green cardamom caramel sauce and salt and almond ice cream, provided by Cassandra Williams. Cassandra has had a break from cooking in recent years to be a full time mum, but she is about to start working again as a private chef. Judging by the dessert she will do very well indeed. If there’s one thing I love more than chocolate, it’s warm, oozing chocolate. I am also a big fan of the sweet-salty combo (I’ve been known in my less healthy moments to dip French fries in ice cream…) so the salt and almond ice cream was a great accompaniment. I ate it up in minutes.

Just like last time, the courses were broken up by the graduates telling us all a bit about their history and what the Jamie Oliver Foundation and the Fifteen Apprentice Programme has done for them. I’ve got to hand it to the Class of 2005 graduates for being so incredibly candid and truthful when talking about themselves and their pasts. They did not gloss over the low points of their youth and I think this brought it home even more clearly just how many of Fifteen’s graduates see the programme  as a major turning point in their lives, without which they would have been lost in a maze of juvenile mistakes and misfortunes. It’s a programme that has given them all a focus, a trade, and the confidence to take responsibility for their own lives and futures.

I've added a few pictures to my blog page. Here are the links...

Starters: http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=77614

Main:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=77615

Desserts: http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=77616

Last edited by LuLuBell (Thu 24 May 12 10:19pm)

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 25 May 12 1:28am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Another wonderful report thanks Lulubell! Such a pleasure to read! smile

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 14 Jun 12 1:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

What I love so much about these supper clubs is the huge family atmosphere that is very much part of the event.  It is so clear that the young people who started the training at Fifteen all those years ago were gaining not just an interesting and valuable training experience but they were also gaining the friendship and support that comes with joining the great family that is “Fifteen" .

As I said in my previous post about the Supper Club on the 15th May 2012, it was a joy to go into a happy room that is bustling with activity, the chefs were busy preparing and cooking the meal but were still happy to chat and tell me about their training and what had been happening to them since leaving Fifteen.

I wandered into the kitchen area to see what was happening and to chat to the chefs. There was the usual clattering of pans and other things being moved around and the air was filled with wonderful smells, getting us hungry for the meal to come.

Helping Lloyd prepare the wonderful Risotto Primavera was Georgina Welling, Georgina is full of fun and chatter, since graduating from Fifteen she has had a varied time, spending time cooking in hotels and restaurants, some of this time was spent in Spain.  She returned to Fifteen for a while and then having decided to take a break from cooking for a while due to other commitments she now works as a customer service assistant at Transport for London. Georgina happily cooked some of the vegetables for the Risotto Primavera, and told me that the time spent at Fifteen had been "such an intensive course" and how much she had enjoyed it. Also she was full of enthusiasm when she told me that she had "not seem these guys for 7 years and it's like we've never been apart“.  This was apparent to me as there was such a great rapture between all the chefs that were cooking for the supper club, as if they were back to being a close knit group once more.

Georgina had to rush off after helping Lloyd, she has a little son at home that she had needed to get back to.

Lloyd Hayes is a larger than life character who was busy making the risotto in the room we were all going to be eating, in full view of the gathering diners.  He was passionate about the rice that he was using for the risotto and told me about the area that it was produced in.  He was using Vialone Nano Rice, which was produced by Riseria Capitlini , a rice producer that was first established in 1881 from Verona in Italy (Lloyd was quick to point out Verona was associated with the balcony in Romeo and Juliet).  Lloyd is an interesting person, as a teenager he had fallen in with the wrong crowd.  He went to college and it was his Aunt who got him a form for the Fifteen training program saying to him that he might want to try cooking as it was what he was good at.  He was accepted by Fifteen and as he said he 'worked pretty hard' and eventually started working  at pasta as that is what he enjoyed and was really good at.  Lloyd has had an interesting time, he worked in Val d'Isere, (well-known ski resort) in France with Neil Dunlop, another graduate, for 6 months, he has been to Italy every year and also worked at Fifteen.  Recently Lloyd has made a brave step and has decided to start his own business.   His new venture is "Street Food”, for this he is going back to his West Indian roots and using some of the recipes that have been in his family for generations. This wonderful West Indian street food will be available at Festivals and Markets as well as outside catering for private events. I have a great feeling about this and if you are looking for a lovely chef to serve West Indian cuisine at an event, I think you should look for Lloyd, you won't be disappointed.  A few days after cooking for the supper club, Lloyd was at Borough Market, early on Food Revolution Day cooking. Pizza's with some of the trainees to help raise money and spread the word about the Foundation.

Tom Baisden has had I think you could describe it as, 'a colourful past', like Lloyd he did not have a great time growing up and fell in with the wrong crowd, somehow he managed to pull himself together and get his life back together and this was when he started to cook, he told us, "I started cooking, awfully. I really did not know what I was doing but I found that I enjoyed actually the process of doing it and looked for an opportunity to take this further ".  It was then that he heard about Fifteen and having sent off the application, 4 weeks later he found himself in Wales, climbing up the mountains and enjoying the company of the rest of the trainees and Jamie Oliver! Tom graduated from Fifteen and then straight away went off to start his own business but after sadly after a while (and nothing to do with his cooking abilities) his past criminal activity (old way of life) caught up with him once more and he found himself on the wrong side of the law. It was this that really gave him the idea of helping ex-offenders  to get through the early stages as they get out of prison , helping them seek employment and helping them to 'stay on the straight and narrow'.  Tom's job which is a very worthwhile one could not have been achieved without Fifteen which he taught him not only how to learn to cook , but it also gave him the strength and determination to be whatever he wanted to be and how to get on in life. Tom has a lovely manner about him and I am sure that he has already helped quite a number of people turn their lives around for the better.

Neil Dunlop is a lovely man, who told us "I really think you’re giving money to a good because here Fifteen really helped me". Fifteen, he told us, taught him the discipline that he needed to hold down a job and he now works for a catering company and chefs for events around London.

Now, I would write more about Neil, but he's really modest about his achievements, he has clearly achieved much but was much keener to tell us that by helping to support Fifteen we were all doing a great thing, instead of telling us that he's really a fantastic chef!  I do know that he also went to Val d' Isere with Lloyd after graduating and above all I quickly formed the impression about what a genuine and nice person that he is.

Cassandra Williams was responsible for the amazing dessert, I asked her what one of the best things that she got from the experience at Fifteen and she told me that one of the best things that she got from the training was a "second family" this again brings to mind my thoughts about all who work for Fifteen and the great family atmosphere that there is amongst all who work there. Cassie was very busy when I was talking to her but still happy to chat.  After completing her training at Fifteen, Cassie went on to work in various kitchen, hotels and Michelin starred establishments.  She has also done some outreach work in the Foundation and work in youth clubs. Since having had her daughter 5 years ago, she worked doing contract catering and has been a private chef for a family...lucky family! Cassie is a wonderful pastry chef and after eating the dessert that she made, she is, like all who pass through the Fifteen training a very skilled chef.

Michelle Beckles is at present working at Queen Mary University as a chef, and she is getting involved with events for the Olympic games.  She first found out about the Fifteen training programme after reading an article in the 'Metro' newspaper and as she says "the rest is history I got in and met a lovely crowd".  After graduating from Fifteen, she then went on to study and further her culinary education after starting her family.  She then went on to work part time as a chef in the college. She told us Fifteen and working with Jamie was such a good opportunity to understand fully about food, organic food, free range food and she takes every opportunity to promote this. She described Fifteen as “an amazing journey, I keep on learning every each and every day, it's been fantastic a great opportunity to be a chef“.

Tom Trubshaw told us that Fifteen..."was probably the most amazing 18 months of my life, it was truly spectacular and I met some of the best people I have ever met , had some of the best times" the "most amazing training" and one he felt very lucky to be part of .

After training he went to San Francisco to work in a restaurant there when he returned to London he worked again for Fifteen and also did some outside catering after which he has worked at several well-known restaurants and at present he is working as Chef de Partie at St. John restaurant in Clerkenwell .

He also told us that when at Fifteen you are given some of the best places to work at, the best restaurants and the best chefs to learn from and also the best trips to go on and learn about the foods produced…"just fantastic" is what Tom told us.

Joe Gray is currently running his own event company and he is also opening a second business, Slovely Limited, providing fine food for London Restaurants.  Joe described himself as "probably the child from hell”, when he was younger, very busy, he hated school and education. Throughout this the one constant thing he found he enjoyed in his life was cooking (it seemed at that time he frequently would cook and make a mess in his Mum's kitchen... I am sure that is something that he gets reminded of, by his family from time to time!) He had always loved cooking and as he seemed to be 'drifting ", it was his Mum that gradually pushed him towards this as a career. Everything seemed to change when he went through the doors of Fifteen, he became more focused. He told us that not only were they taught to be a chef, but they were taught to question the food that they were using…why are you using this produce? Where does it come from? How do they grow their beans, how do they rear their cattle? Why are you using this supplier?  They were taught to question it all! The training at Fifteen was hard work, but during this Joe felt that he was enjoying learning.  As trainees they got to go around and do a lot of tasting, work at events and all manner of interesting things.  After finishing  training Joe went on to did various things that got him to learn all about business , including advertising after a short spell travelling he came back and started his own company putting all the knowledge that he had gained to the best possible use. Now he is very busy, running an events company and starting a second company, this does not stop here as he has ideas for a third company! He also , through his work tries to guide other people , helping them and teaching them as he is a great believer in the fact that if you know how to cook then you can sustain and look after yourself , this is something that he also learned through his time at Fifteen. What Joe did not tell us is that he has been very instrumental in the supper clubs that happen at Fifteen.  Thank you Joe...and he is also he is also doing some work with the food writer and chef Gizzy Irskine for the Prince’s Trust.

Some of the chefs that could not be present at the supper club on the 15th May sent messages to tell us what they were now doing.

Robert Kadim...Robbie is in present in China, he is starting us a new Italian brand in China selling gelato to Italian cafes in Beijing.  A new concept in China. Since leaving Fifteen he went to work in Italy , then for Gordon Ramsey at Claridges, he then worked for Jamie Oliver again , working on the Jamie at Home series after which he went to be a private chef for a well-known model and actress where he stayed for a couple of years . After a spell working on the management side of catering he has now gone to China…Good Luck Robbie, I am sure your new venture will be a huge success!

Last edited by mummza (Fri 22 Jun 12 12:44pm)

Likes (0)