forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Fri 25 May 12 7:15am

carrotanddaisy

Member since Fri 25 May 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi, I want to do a "Christmas in July" here in Australia.  Have an idea to precook turkey & slice and then put in crockpot with gravy.  Then people can help themselves when they want some.  Will this work?  How long will the food be edible for?  Any comments gratefully received, thank you.  Julia

Likes (0)

#32 Fri 25 May 12 12:44pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Hi Jamie

mine isn't a cooking question, its a product one  big_smile , hubby said he would buy me a mixer for my birthday - but which one, I like the look of the Kitchenaid, but have always used a kenwood before, which would you advise

Thanks

Kate

Likes (0)

#33 Fri 25 May 12 1:50pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Miss GlutenFree wrote:

Hi Jamie,

So many great questions on here so far - I don't want to bombard you but can't resist the temptation to ask....
Have you ever tried to make gluten free pasta?
If you have, I would love your hints/tips as mine fail miserably every time and I end up resorting to using packet pasta. The packet stuff tastes good but I want to add "pasta maker" to my home-made meals resume..

Cheers!

I'm clearly not jamie but have you tried the recipe in tobie puttock's daily italian? It's quite good, as is the potato gnocchi (which freezes well and cooks from frozen). I'm sure he won't mind me plugging the book of one of his colleagues.

There we are jamie, just my part in stemming the tide.

Likes (0)

#34 Fri 25 May 12 5:29pm

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

Nice to hear from you Deb. Here is my fav recipe for the perfect roast potatoes with a few tips on how to get them extra crispy

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege … t-potatoes
and for roast chicken - this is my sure fire recipe:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chic … st-chicken

run me through how you cook the spuds and chicken as i may be able to give you some more pointers.

J x

Likes (0)

#35 Fri 25 May 12 5:33pm

jamie

Chef

MikeInTX wrote:

What's your favorite way to cook eggplant? I've only had it done up as eggplant parmigiana, and it's almost alwys ended up (I asume) somewhat overcooked and slimey.

Thanks!

Hi Mike

I LOVE eggplant (are you from Aus? lol) or augergine and especially in baba ganoush. You can sprinkle some salt on them about half an hour before grilling to draw the moisture out so they become more crispy.

nice one

Likes (0)

#36 Fri 25 May 12 5:34pm

jamie

Chef

RebeccaBourhill wrote:

Hi Jamie,
I am obsessed with cooking and can't stop talking about it! It is the thing I believe I can go to if I have had a bad day at school! ( I am bullied alot) I am only 16 but was chosen for your Food Revolution Day! It was an honour to be part of it! I have a few questions I know they are not about cooking but any way:
1.What is your youngest childhood memory?
2.Would I be able to study with you in 3 and a half years old?
3Have you ever thought about doing a show or demonstration in South Africa?

I am sending a package to Danny via the post please make sure you get it. It is about what I have done to get involved in Food Revolution Day as well as all my atchievementss in my cooking life!

So excited can't wait to hear from you!!

Rebecca Bourhill big_smile  thumbsup

Hi Rebecca

thanks so much for all that you did to support Food Rev Day - i think from last count that the message reached close to 700 million people would you believe? Look forward to receiving the package

J x

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 25 May 12 5:46pm

jamie

Chef

carrotanddaisy wrote:

Hi, I want to do a "Christmas in July" here in Australia.  Have an idea to precook turkey & slice and then put in crockpot with gravy.  Then people can help themselves when they want some.  Will this work?  How long will the food be edible for?  Any comments gratefully received, thank you.  Julia

Sounds like fun - how about trying my recipe for Turkey Con Chilli, good one if you have lots of guests to feed J x

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/turk … con-chilli

Likes (0)

#38 Fri 25 May 12 5:48pm

jamie

Chef

Thank everyone for your questions - forum members, please do what you do best and answer as many as you can. Keep the questions coming please and I will check things out here next week. Couple of good questions on cooking the perfect pizza, I am going to ask Danny to get some answers from my good mate Chris Bianco, there's nothing about pizza making that he does not know!

Have a great weekend everyone wherever you are. Post up some pics of what you are cooking in the blogs if you get a chance.

Nice one

Jamie x

Likes (0)

#39 Fri 25 May 12 9:11pm

JamieRichardson

Member since Mon 26 Mar 12

Hey Jamie! (massive fan just FYI )

I'm attempting to grow some chilli plants, they've grown pretty well but there's just one thing.. Not sure of stuff to do with them when they are done.
I'm gonna make some chilli oil, and the pulled pork goulash from your Jamie at home book and I'm also going to dry some for seeds.. But do you have any other chilli orientated ideas?

Also in the opening to Jamie at home you have a little journal type thing... Where did you getting from?.. I've bought a homemade leather on off of eBay but it's too small.

Thanks a lot, Jamie.

Likes (0)

#40 Fri 25 May 12 9:12pm

JamieRichardson

Member since Mon 26 Mar 12

P.S thanks for the follow on twitter!

Likes (0)