#131 Fri 25 May 12 10:42pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Gardening ~ What are you up to?

Grand_Ma wrote:

shocked I had half a carriage for 20 euros in spring and i did not use it all even if there are little spaces in my orto whee I did not dig it into the soil.
one day I must take a pic of the sovescio in flower in my campo, I could just sit there and watch  smile

I will be paying 20/tonne for Mushroom Compost.............not smelly like manure or as nutritious, but brilliant for conditioning clay soil & as a top-dressing/mulch.
Having a 1.5 tonne truck on loan to me will make the job of transporting it easier, as will the loan of a couple of fit young men to help me move it all.

Likes (0)

#132 Sat 26 May 12 12:20am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Its mulching time here too.. I really need to weed, feed & mulch..

Never seem to have enough time these days .. poor neglected garden..

Likes (0)

#133 Sat 26 May 12 12:25am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I know what you mean frizz, you think of all the things that have to be done and there are so many more to be done first, but every day you think you'll forget aout everything else and dedicate your time to the garden  crossed a little bit every day and by the end of the season everything will be perfect, just in time to start things for the next season, this is gardners' life wink  cool

Likes (0)

#134 Sat 26 May 12 9:50am

minerva

Forum champ

I just wish I could split myself into as many of me as I need to get all the work done. A me for gardening, one for sewing.......cooking.........shopping........cleaning/repairing..........herb medicines..........favours for others! That's 7 already.........some would say it was scary enough just having one of me, imagine the mayhem if there were 7 !?!!?

Today's jaunt into the garden will be strimming all the grass edges, weeding a shady border & planting up some very big Tomato plants (hopefully all risk of frost has gone?).

Likes (0)

#135 Sat 26 May 12 9:23pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

We've been getting the first section of the site ready to lay a lawn.  We're doing the section nearest to the living room, that over looks the lake.  So we've been turning the soil, leveling and raking.  I can't wait to have some grass at last.  It's a shame we can't do it all just yet, but we need to buy in topsoil for the rest, and that's just not in the budget yet

Likes (0)

#136 Sat 26 May 12 10:43pm

minerva

Forum champ

How much topsoil will you need?
Do you manage to make an ornamental garden given your winter weather?

Likes (0)

#137 Mon 28 May 12 9:48am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland

I think we'll need about 8 or 10 truck loads to finish the site, which is about 1 acer.  We also need to get the digger back in to finish the drainage ditches, sort out some boulders that are in the way, and OH wants to put in a slip down to the lake.  But at about 500 a day, that probably won't happen till next year. 

You can have an ornamental garden here, though the growing season is shorter it is much more intense, because of the long daylight hours.  So whilst the daffodils and tulips are only now in bloom, come mid summer the early strawberries should be ready.

We managed to get the first section of the lawn sown yesterday, about 25o square meters, so I'll be watching every day to see the first green shoots.............so exciting big_smile

By the way, i love the new avatar Minnie  thumbsup

Last edited by BritFinn (Mon 28 May 12 9:49am)

Likes (0)

#138 Thu 31 May 12 5:59pm

minerva

Forum champ

Thanks..............I always said I would have one eventually!

Having never been to Finland I am intrigued as to what sort of gardens manage to survive the rigors & limitations of the weather/daylight.
Are you limited to variety of plants? Use 'natives' a lot? What?

Likes (0)

#139 Thu 31 May 12 6:08pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland

It's not too bad where we are, on the west coast, it's fairly mild (relatively speaking).  I've seen lots of the stuff I'd see in gardens back in the UK, but flowering later.  I think that if it will survive in the north of England or Scotland it should be okay here.  But I was really surprised to see hydrangea is grown as a pot plant, not the huge bushes I grew up with. 

Our neighbours just had 2 trucks of topsoil delivered yesterday............it cost 590 shocked   I think we'll be watching carefully to see how far they can make theirs go, but we definitly won't be getting any for a while at that price!

Likes (0)

#140 Thu 31 May 12 7:07pm

minerva

Forum champ

Gosh, that is a bit steep!
Last lot I bought (not so long ago) was 30/tonne for top quality, but I know it's gone up here a lot lately.

Likes (0)