#51 Sun 27 May 12 9:48pm

Sinderela

Member since Sun 27 May 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

whistle Happy Birthday to you Jamie! whistle

Warm greetings from Poland!
Madzia

P.s. You are my inspiration smile

Last edited by Sinderela (Sun 27 May 12 9:49pm)

Likes (0)

#52 Sun 27 May 12 11:59pm

julieknight15

Member since Sun 27 May 12

Hi Jamie,

Nicely working through your 30 minute cook book and have a question regarding the Portuguese tarts.  I have made them 4 times now and I cant seem to get the caramel to set.  Even after leaving one overnight it still was not set.  Any clues as to what I am doing wrong?  Could it be the size of the orange as the amount of juice is different every time?  Thank you.  Jules  help

Likes (0)

#53 Mon 28 May 12 11:29am

splanightingale

Member since Mon 28 May 12

I am researching cooking with Flowers for an idea for a book.  My character is a chef (big and gruff) who wants to use pretty flowers in his salad or fruit salad.  Chef also needs to be growing them at his kitchen garden or courtyard garden.  What flowers can be grown and used in British Cooking?

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 28 May 12 1:41pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

splanightingale wrote:

I am researching cooking with Flowers for an idea for a book.  My character is a chef (big and gruff) who wants to use pretty flowers in his salad or fruit salad.  Chef also needs to be growing them at his kitchen garden or courtyard garden.  What flowers can be grown and used in British Cooking?

welcome to the forum slanightingale  smile

Jame started a thread about this very topic in May 08 , it might be worth a read..
Cooking with flowers
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31352

also shortly before I had started this thread
Edible flowers
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26153

I hope these awnser the question for you.

Likes (0)

#55 Mon 28 May 12 1:49pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

julieknight15 wrote:

Hi Jamie,

Nicely working through your 30 minute cook book and have a question regarding the Portuguese tarts.  I have made them 4 times now and I cant seem to get the caramel to set.  Even after leaving one overnight it still was not set.  Any clues as to what I am doing wrong?  Could it be the size of the orange as the amount of juice is different every time?  Thank you.  Jules  help

I had a bit of trouble with this as well , but I think that it was because I was being impatient !
First time I made them I ended up with a pretty nice tasting chewey toffee on the top of the tart  lol

I have not made them for a while and I cant remember what quantities were used.
When I make then again I might be tempted to use a small pan to make the caramel top in so that I can use a sugar thermometor , after years of guess work making jam I bought a sugar thermoetor last year and after using it nce , I wondered why I had not bought one before !
It took the guess work out of making the jam.
They can be forund nea the jam making equiptment in the shops and a reletivly cheap to buy.

Might be worth inverting in one.

Likes (0)

#56 Tue 29 May 12 6:50pm

RebeccaBourhill

Occupation Student wanna be chef
From Rustenberg, South Africa
Member since Mon 30 Aug 10

JamieRichardson wrote:

P.S thanks for the follow on twitter!

Hi JamieRichardson,
under what name are you following?

Likes (0)

#57 Wed 30 May 12 3:21pm

k_joneva

Member since Wed 30 May 12

Hi Jamie and others,
New to the forum! I am wondering if you (Jamie) have ever thought of making a cook book that included a grocery list for specific meals. Say you choose 5 meals per week then have a grocery list for that week and so on. I have been struggling with being organized enough to plan meals especially since having children. No problems before kids. I do love to eat and I particularly enjoy your work. The other families I have spoken with have very similar challenges. We often lack the variety to encourage our kids to eat anything! Would you consider such a thing? I think a lot more families could manage great meals/food at home!!!
Thank you for taking the time to read this.....
Laurel

Likes (0)

#58 Thu 31 May 12 5:39pm

Karasalihovic

Member since Thu 31 May 12

Hi Jamie, my name is Adnan I am from Sarajevo Bosnia and Herzegovinia, I like Your work and I invite You to visit my country. We have very good and tastie foud and its realy mix of western, estern and mediterenian cousine,our traditional food is moustly organc etc... if You are iterested for visit Sarajevo please contact me....I wish You all the best!

Greatings from Sarajevo!

Likes (0)

#59 Fri 01 Jun 12 6:40pm

patian

Member since Fri 01 Jun 12

Hi, I have bought a black iron pizza pan (which is in fact silver-grey in colour) which I wish to use as a chocolate mould for a particular product. I have washed it in hot water and used it once with perfect results. I am concerned about all the information about having to season it first. I personally think this is because of it going into an oven etc. If I have no desire to use it for hot foods but only as a cold container, do I have to do anything first to the pan other than washing it? Hope you can help with my unusual question.
Many thanks.

Likes (0)

#60 Fri 01 Jun 12 7:08pm

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

Great questions everyone, promise to get back to you next week, it's been crazy busy as ever! have a lovely Jubilee long weekend everyone (and a great weekend for the rest of you wherever you are as well)

Jamie x

Likes (0)