Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#61 Sat 02 Jun 12 4:36pm

sfmclean

Member since Sat 02 Jun 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Jamie,

I saw your show yesterday and you made homemade butter!
I know it was really easy but I don't exactly remember your steps...
Is there a video?
I'm wondering if I need a different attachment for my food processor.

Many thanks,
Love your show
Stephen

Likes (0)

#62 Sun 03 Jun 12 11:35am

u_brumec

Member since Sun 03 Jun 12

Hi,

I'm watching the recipes on TV (very good), but sometimes is very hard for me to "modify" recipes, so that my family can enjoy the food in all its "glory" (taste). I have a son, who has a Celiac disease and also very strong allergy to milk (all kind of milk, not only lactose) and eggs (if he would consume milk and/or egg, or just traces of milk and/or egg, we have to go to a hospital, because of a shock).
Do you have a recipes of different food, considering that as well?
In my opinion, if somebody like Jamie, would have an open talk regarding the problem (allergies and gluten free diet - together) than probably people (mostly restaurants) would accept the need for people, families like mine, for "safe" eating points across the (for e.g.) EU and put this kind of food in to menu. Practical we can not go for a travel without all the ingredients needed for a meal, as we also can not enjoy the meal outside, because there is no offer (from a restaurant) for safe food for us.
If somebody has any experience or thoughts on that, pls. share.

Regards,
U. Brumec
(Slovenia - EU)

Likes (0)

#63 Sun 03 Jun 12 6:09pm

jenifersue89@gm

hello friend from greece ! i need a deit or light frossting for cupcakes .can you help help  smile  smile  smile  smile thanks and a easy recipe for honey musterd exclaim

Likes (0)

#64 Sun 03 Jun 12 11:13pm

Gillybean1058

12 hour rabbit Bolognaise

My mum says it's too extravagant to have the oven on for 12 hours... Haha. Can I do it in the slow cooker instead?

Likes (0)

#65 Mon 04 Jun 12 9:25pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

sfmclean wrote:

Jamie,

I saw your show yesterday and you made homemade butter!
I know it was really easy but I don't exactly remember your steps...
Is there a video?
I'm wondering if I need a different attachment for my food processor.

Many thanks,
Love your show
Stephen

I gave some double cream to a friend to whip for me in a large kitchen aid mixer.
Never having whipped cream before , when the phone rang she awnered the phone , she forgot to switch the mixer off !!!
When I called to collect the cream I was told .." Well I dont think it looks right , it's gone a bit weird " !
I peered into the mixer bowl to see this solid lump and all around it an opaque watery liquid !! lol
I had to laugh .
'well it looks like you made butter ' I told her and we both had a good laugh !!

However I have to add here that it needed salt to increase its keeping properties .
I used the homemade unsalted butter to make some wonderful cakes ... And as for the whipped cream that I needed .... I had to make another trip to the shops ! lol

Likes (0)

#66 Mon 04 Jun 12 9:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

mrjamesporteous wrote:

Alright there Jamie.

Currently on a quest to create the world's finest sandwiches - it's a project in its early stages, but you can see it here: thebutty.tumblr.com

Just wondered if you had any recommendations for an unusual sandwich that I might be able to rustle up and add to the site? As simple or as complex as you like, I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves... big_smile

Cheers fella,

JP

Welcome to the forum mrjamesporteous smile
One of my husbands favourite sandwiches is cold sliced lamb and marmite .. Sounds disgusting I know , but apparently the marmite gives the lamb a sort of gravy like taste !
I know that most people who have tried this weird combo' say how good it is . He will sometimes add some simple salad to the sandwich and prefers it on his homemade whole meal brown  bread.

Likes (0)

#67 Mon 04 Jun 12 11:57pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

petrick wrote:

Hi Jamie, When I was a child my mother used to make "Kloese" which were flour balls cooked in milk, they were served with fruit compot, hot. (that's as much as I remember)

Unfortunately my interest in cooking only started about 39 years after she passed away.

Can you perhaps ask one of your German collueges for the recipe?

Enjoy the weekend !

Hey Petrick,

I know Kloesse served with a milk sauce, and many recipes for Kloesse contain milk.

There are so many varieties.... do you remember there being any savoury ingredients in the sauce? Then I might have an idea....

Greets from Germany
Maddi

Last edited by maddimouse (Mon 04 Jun 12 11:59pm)

Likes (0)

#68 Tue 05 Jun 12 12:21am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Gillybean1058 wrote:

12 hour rabbit Bolognaise

My mum says it's too extravagant to have the oven on for 12 hours... Haha. Can I do it in the slow cooker instead?

Welcome to the forum GIllybean1058  smile

I do not know the recipe and would have to look it up , but I would think that the 12 hour cook time would be ok for a slow cooker .

If you were to cook it in the oven then I  would think that if the cooking time is so long then the oven would only be on very low ?

Likes (0)

#69 Tue 05 Jun 12 12:37am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

Deb , what type of pan do you use for roasting the potatoes in and what type of fat do you use to cook them in ?

I have found that its sometimes tricky to crisp up the potatoes if I am using a pan with highish strait sides , however , if the sides are sloping outwardly then that seems to cook the potatoes better.

Also , it could just be a matter of a change of the potato variety that you are using.
Different varieties seem to cook in different ways.

When I roast potatoes I usually use an old enamelled sloping sided roasting pan .
I peel and cut the potatoes to the same sizes and I part boil them , draining them well and shaking them about in a collendar to roughen the edges.
I let them dry slightly then I tip them into the preheated pan into which I have put some of the solid vegetable fat that I prefer to use ( I mostly use a bit of trex as the preferred brand)
I the turn the potatoes so that they are all coated with a bit of the fat and then I sprinkle them with salt and put them into a hottish oven to cook.

Having already turned then in the fat , I do not baste them , but , as I do not use much fat , it would not be possible to baste them anyway !!!

I just leave them alone to roast and brown.

My suggestions are , maybe try a different variety of potato or maybe try a different fat to roast the potatoes in . Also , don't be afraid to cook them for a bit longer , I am not great at following times and I just put them in Till they are well browned ! Somehow I manage to get everything cooked perfectly at the same time , but given my time keeping its a mystery how I manage this .

Likes (0)

#70 Tue 05 Jun 12 12:01pm

diamondeyes

From Essex
Member since Sun 12 Jul 09

Hi, I want to try both hot smoking and cold smoking food, but I don't want to pay the astronomical prices I've seen commercial food smokers advertised at.  I saw Jamie make a food smoker out of a biscuit tin, but I can't find the instructions anywhere and I'm worried I'll forget something if I try it from memory.  Please can you tell me how to make the smoker?  Also, can you please give some guidelines on how long to smoke different things for, e.g. a chicken breast, a whole fish, etc?  Thanks very much smile

Likes (0)