forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 05 Jun 12 3:56pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

sometimes I feel I'm terribly late

in my ortocolture, especially comparing my aubergine and peppers' plants with those exposed on the market stalls. Then I must go back to early spring and realize I have started most vegs/fruits from seed this year. It's a long time since people used to sow their own stored seeds and now I perfectly understand how long it takes to see the fruit of your care and patience.

wink  mrgreen  roll  crossed  think  whistle  whistle

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 05 Jun 12 7:19pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: sometimes I feel I'm terribly late

mada don't forget that the veg in markets are force grown too in hot houses. Do you look at the origins of all them? We have all countries affiched.

A lot are from seeds too in our gardens....we'll still be eating them after the markets have sold out  lol  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 05 Jun 12 7:23pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

wink  thumbsup thanks for supporting homegrowers

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 05 Jun 12 8:07pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

While I was growing my flowers from seed, I could see all around my garden which was in a very posh neighborhood with huge properties, people affording others to do all their labor.  To plant, they put in full grown trees and shrubs with machinery.  There we were laboring by hand, digging, planting, weeding.  I heard back after the garden was dismantled that the neighbors missed it's beauty!

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 05 Jun 12 11:49pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

Every time my granddaughter comes we go around looking for the pots where we have sown toghether something and wonder if it's already appeared, discuss a little on how beautiful it will be, smell the magnolia flowers with our nose really plunged into them bewaring the working bees coming and going very very busy, sometimes I forget to pay attention to things I do not remember where they are but my nipotina is a good database of everything I do outside with flowers and plants, our reward for this survey are handfuls of wild strawberries we eat straighaway without going to the fountain to wash them like we do with the large ones .....................

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 06 Jun 12 8:58am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

What you have to remember Grandmadamada is that your plants are gown with much affection and might well taste a bit better as a result big_smile

I agree with Kye anout the growing in a greenhouse , I am sure that some farmers market crops ae grown indoors like that so that they can be produced and sold earlier than hey would be if they are grown outdoors, also it very much depends where you live as to the speed the plants develope at , I realise from the way that my friend from Cornwall talks that Wales where I live is a good er weeks behind with flowers maturing and this must go for other plants as well.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 06 Jun 12 11:05pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Grand Ma
Even if your wait is a tad on long side, I truly believe that the fruits of your labour are well worth the effort of "growing your own".

I must confess that I am a bit of a parasite when it comes to acquiring allotment grown veg. I know 5 or 6 people on my local allotment and very often I lay a base for a greenhouse or lay some re-claimed patio slabs or supply...again re-claimed lengths of 6" x 1" timber ......never for money, but always in barter for their home grown produce. They know I am happy with a few spuds or green beans or haricot verts.....or anything really........for a swap for my materials and labour, but they don't realize how much I truly treasure ANYTHING that comes out of that allotment......as an amateur foodie I'm like a kid in a toy shop and nothing ever goes to waste...

Terry

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 06 Jun 12 11:35pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

I perfectly understand what yo mean Terry, it's a few days now I carry my sown from seed leeks to my campo and never succeed in transplanting them, because there is always something more urgent to be done, I have also two boxes of seeds I cropped from plants in my orto, and every time I think I'll sow some in  a corner of my campo. As soon a s I arrive there my meghbors come to chat with me giving good advice and lots of ruby shiny juicy cherries from their tree

that's what happens when you go out of your fence and start exchanging labor, vegs, flowers and chats
big_smile shocked  shocked  think  oops you made me think I received some zinnias and I promised to plant them in my campo, but layed them in the shade and forgot about them completely, tomorrow ..............

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Wed 06 Jun 12 11:36pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 07 Jun 12 9:26am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

My father used to go along his garden making the holes for the leeks to drop into , with the sharpened bit of broken spade handle that he used to use as a 'dibber ' to make the deep thin holes in the ground .
He'd then go along dropping a little plant into each hole .
And then he'd go a third time along the row filling each of the holes that he'd dropped the little plant into with water .

Once growing well starting to grow tall he would go along the row banking up the soil around the growing plant , in so doing making the whiter Part of the leek longer and the greener part shorter .

He grew the tastiest leeks.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 07 Jun 12 9:54am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

thank you mummz for those precious tips, I knew only half of them, I have wooden roots transformed into dibbers, I did not know I could use that to plant leeks, I made holes as large as a cappuccino cup, but then I did not know how to keep the leek plant straight, I'll have so many people surveying my movements in my orto suggesting how to improove, from heaven wink

Likes (0)