forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#4001 Tue 05 Jun 12 12:43am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Website/forum: issues and complaints?

Danny, loading three photos worked for me this time.  Perhaps there was something I did differently when I tried before.  Sorry to not be of much help.

Likes (0)

#4002 Tue 05 Jun 12 12:46am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

oliviascotland wrote:

Danny - sorry to be a nuisance, and I know Grand_ma (MadaMada) has already pointed this out, but the header with Jamie's photo on the Forums states "ask me a QUESITON about cooking here", instead of "question" ... it's been driving me mildly demented since it went up  hmm

Hahaha ..
I never noticed and you will be pleased to know then that my spelling might improve soon as I have now got some sort of spelling correction on my computer !

Likes (0)

#4003 Sun 10 Jun 12 2:41pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Sorry to be so late "jumping in" here. Didn't receive email alerts hmm.

OK, you know that I can't do links etc using a BBerry, but Mummza wrote:

"... think the main problem at the moment is that although a lot of people look at the forum , there are only a few who write on it .
Quite a number of our old regulars seen to favour keeping in touch on Facebook these days".

Think that that is sad. I refuse to do "social media". It would be professional suicide for my previous (currently on "go slow" research projects") work to be associated with (as "they" would see it) *food* and my current studies.

That's how "they" think. "One" of main reasons I didn't go ahead with my blog (on blogspot), oh, and that I re-thought it and thought it was too derivative (another "J &J" the world does *not* need). There were other practical reasons as well- what do I do with that excess food?

Facebook (and similar) are to *me* exclusive in that one has to have a Facebook presence.

"Social media", for me, is a weird juxta-position of the private (need to be a member of that social medium) and the public (once a member, access is (usually) given.

Personally, I prefer the "public" public domain. That's *me*.

Previously, if I wanted/someone asked for a recipe, I'd post it here/ask here (or on another forum of which I was a member).

If, in "everyday" living (not forum related),  I'd ring, email or  text someone with the info they required or ask them for info.

The forums, here, and elsewhere, were *inclusive* and available to all.

The popularity of blogs here (and elsewhere) sounded the death knell of the forums *in my opinion*.

If that is how it has to be, so be it.

I don't like it. But that is just *me*.

I miss (and will miss) the "community spirit" (in all its forms) of the forums at JO. It/they changed my life more than many will know wink. Enough said hmm

If that is how it is, I have to "suck it up" hmm and move on.

Will miss you  smile  big_smile  hmm kiss  clap  clap  clap

My new business,  new private blogs and new personal blogs will appear early in tha (Australian) Financial Year on blogspot.

Hope to catch up there.

Will miss this place wave

Last edited by Maree (Sun 10 Jun 12 5:49pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#4004 Mon 11 Jun 12 12:08am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Well Maree, for a long time, you have talked about how this forum doesn't match the limitations of your Blackberry . . . so either the Blackberry folks are not thanking you for that or maybe you just need to update your technology or if you don't want to, why should the rest of us come down to that level where 'no links and no photos' are the norm, when everyone else seems to afford and covet newer and better technologies that do it all . . .

No, the way forward is not to limit what people can do, not to exclude photos, it's to include them, but seamlessly into the whole system and to stop trying to accommodate the few dinosaur systems out there that can't handle it.  I say, let people post photos, comments, links and the rest in forum threads as other fora do . . . keep up with the technologies that almost everyone out there seems to afford . . . this doesn't preclude interaction, it enhances it.  Keeping blogs separate and recipes separate, that may be part of the problem.

I covet the IPad and Instagram and all the rest, as do almost everyone else and most young people today don't even consider this stuff optional.  It's all becoming affordable - incredibly so.

No one with a business avoids having an online presence today.  Facebook is what you make of it and many people actually start up online because of such connections.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 11 Jun 12 12:09am)

Likes (0)

#4005 Mon 11 Jun 12 11:42pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I agree with your sentiments MsP............I am an old dinosaur (with fairly archaic computer gear) but I am (very slowly) catching up with what you young 'uns can do so easily.
Hey, I've got meself an avatar & a flippin' blog within a month of each other!
True, it's taken me years to manage it, but if I can cope with all this cyber-gubbins, anyone can.
Although I am unskilled & a touch nervous of all this new stuff, people on here (& elsewhere) have been very encouraging, but that could be as much down to a non-grousing, positive outlook, kind of attitude as much as anything else.

Maree, if this is no longer the place for you, fair enough, but girl you have to move with the times.............whinging ain't going to hold back progress, love.

Likes (0)

#4006 Tue 12 Jun 12 3:24am

Maree

Forum champ

Hi all, Sorry I didn't mean to sound if I was whinging. I wasn't. It's just that "social media" (Facebook, Twitter etc) do not interest me and I don't have the time for them.
I am also (in real life) a private person. I've owned a computer since the early 80s and have had the internet connected since 1994. I am an "early adapter" but I know my time limitations and what is useful to me and what isn't.

Sorry if I sounded as if I was insinuating that others should "come down [any] level". It wasn't meant that way. Whatever suits the individual is my philosophy.

I have a laptop but use it for specific things (work, study and tax, mostly). The BB is always with me and I find it easier and quicker to use than to go upstairs and boot up the laptop, connect my wireless broadband and fire up the antivirus system. I'm using the BB now as I sit outside with my morning coffee and "take five".It's not about the money or being afraid of the stuff. I was going to buy an iPad but thought "How will this improve *my* productivity?" I couldn't find an answer and didn't want another piece of technology demanding my time and energy.

I started the first business in 2004 with an email address and a contact list. Now I  manage my four businesses fine with an email address and a contact list. I don't want to get any bigger. There's a limit to what one person can do in a day and I've just about reached mine. I am starting blogs for them in the next month or so.

Minnie, I am very fond of this place, hey I'm still here, aren't I big_smile ?

The main point that I was trying to make is that *i* find it sad that the forums have gone relatively quiet.

Anyway, hope this has cleared things up. Each to their own smile. Darn, my coffee is cold hmm

Likes (0)

#4007 Tue 12 Jun 12 4:35am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Maree, people make very nice contributions to the blogs and by sharing photos that are appreciated by many people on this site.  I don't care if you don't have any interest in those contributions or in other internet media.  It makes no sense though to be critical of other people's contributions when you have not even taken the time to see what they are.

I've found that some of the busiest people are adept at managing many types of technologes and making good use of them to express their creativity, get ideas and information out, to gather support for good causes, to find people with similar interests and to broaden their worlds and often to save time and to be more productive.  It's all about what you do with it.  It's not all a waste of time, but it can be if that's how you want to use your internet time and there's nothing wrong with people doing that to wind down or relax.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 12 Jun 12 5:37am)

Likes (0)

#4008 Tue 12 Jun 12 8:42am

Maree

Forum champ

MsPablo wrote:

I don't care if you don't have any interest in those contributions or in other internet media.  It makes no sense though to be critical of other people's contributions when you have not even taken the time to see what they are.

Hi all, I seem not to be able to communicate clearly what I am meaning. In *no* way am I criticising other people or their contributions. And, of course, I have looked at people's blogs and they are amazing: informative, creative and just plain "yummy".

You may notice by my use of a "quote" (did I get it right? crossed) that I am using my laptop to do some tweaking of my own stuff.

At the moment I don't have down/relax time. As well as work, it is exam time. That's OK. My use of the internet apart from work and study has decreased a lot across the board. I rarely use it.

While social media is not for me, I'm not intending to put down people who use it or the fabulous stuff they are creating and sharing with others. Well done for them  clap  clap  clap

Likes (0)

#4009 Tue 12 Jun 12 9:44am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Well I'm glad that's cleared it all up.

Now perhaps this thread will go back to being a 'voice' for those that have real website/forum issues & complaints.........ie those that Danny & the cyber pixies have a hope of dealing with.

Danny, is it possible to make my avatar on the blogs go to its proper shape?
Not sure what happened to it, but it makes my eyes go weird just looking at it!
Ta muchly.

Likes (0)

#4010 Tue 12 Jun 12 3:37pm

Danny

Jamie's Better Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Thanks Min - I have forwarded this to Eric, thanks for pointing that out it does look odd indeed.

Cheers

Danny

Likes (0)