#21 Thu 14 Jun 12 1:49pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Graduates supper clubs .. celebrating 10 years for Fifteen

Sorry , that was a really long post ..
Hope you sat down with a cup of tea or coffee before you started to read it , I wanted a to add in some quotes this time and they were a very chatty group ! .. Just lovely .

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 14 Jun 12 2:58pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

grazie mummza I could say you are a famous reporter working hard for us, I feel as if I had been there peeping in the bubbling pots and chatting with the soundtrack of kitchen tools, the effetti speciali of steam and smells thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 14 Jun 12 10:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.
    Likes (0)

#24 Fri 15 Jun 12 1:54am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

What a great post Mummza! All those stories, all those journeys!
Hearing about people working together with such camaraderie and skill is a delight!
cool

Likes (0)

#25 Fri 15 Jun 12 8:09am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Lovely post Mummza and so looking forward to your next supper club.

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 15 Jun 12 9:55am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

So am I Sandy , it's tonight .. Which is why I was so embarrassed about the problems with computer phone etc  oops .
Anyway I worked it all out in the end .

Likes (0)

#27 Fri 15 Jun 12 1:25pm

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Enjoy Mummza, will be thinking of you all having such great good, I'm green with envy..... and look forward to hearing all about it.

Likes (0)

#28 Fri 15 Jun 12 3:03pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

camaraderie
that's a good word Joy

thumbsup for mummza our reporter big_smile

Likes (0)

#29 Fri 22 Jun 12 8:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Supper Club 15th June 2012

This month's Supper Club was for the Class of 2006. On walking up the stairs we were met with a room filled with laughter and the most delicious aromas.  This was clearly going to be a lot of fun.

The room was set out in the same way as the previous Supper Clubs and as with the last one some of the chefs were cooking in the main room in which we were to be eating. Gavin and Luke were both busy at the stoves, which was a delight to see.

Quietly, at the side of the room, was a pram that has the sweetest little baby. The little darling was three months old and managed to sleep through much of the supper club. Her mum, Mercy, was one of the chefs helping to cook for the Supper Club.  Mercy was part of the group of chefs that qualified in the last group (Class of 2011).  She came along to help for this Supper Club and spent all evening smiling.  This again illustrates what a family the trainees all are to each other.  There seems to be a great camaraderie between the groups regardless of which group they trained in.  I loved this atmosphere.

As the room filled with diners, it was obvious that this evening was not going to be a very quiet time. The diners were chatting and laughing enthusiastically.

During the meal this chatter continued as people started to find out about their fellow diners. The three people opposite where we were sitting were from Latvia , to the side of me was a lovely lady who worked with young offenders and as such was very interested in the Foundation and its work. There were very interesting people from 'The Flour Station' who were kind enough to help me when I asked about making sourdough bread. (After my disaster with the starter last year I needed a bit of help!) Thank you for the advice.  All in all the room was, as you can tell, just buzzing. What a great place to spend the evening.

The meal had started with some delicious hand made focaccia and fantastic Puglian extra virgin olive oil. Beautiful little ovals of focaccia with a salted top were placed along the table on boards. When I saw these arriving I thought that we might have to rip little chunks off but to my surprise each focaccia had been skilfully sliced and reassembled so that it looked they had never been cut.  Dipping the bread into that wonderful olive oil, I reflected about how lucky I was to be there sharing such a treat.

The 'Starters' for the meal started to arrive but before this happened, Gavin appeared and explained to everyone the dish they were about to eat.  Quail Ballontine with celeriac and pistachio purée, puy lentils and summer truffles. The quail Ballontine has a filling of chicken mousse.  When the plate arrived on the table it was a real picture and was as if it had been plucked from a photograph.   It looked beautiful.  I wondered if John, the food stylist, had been working his magic with the plate design.  The little quail leg had been added to the plate and the bone cleaned so that it was easy to get hold of and eat.  I was told it was extremely delicious. That tiny quail leg had had a dusting of a dressing containing some smoked paprika and had been deep fried...so very clever.  I have to tell you about the celeriac and pistachio purée.  I had seen this on the pan on the stove and questioned what it was earlier in the evening before the meal had started.  The celeriac, pistachio and double cream had been carefully cooked together and then made into the smoothest purée you can imagine.  Gavin very kindly had given me a taste and I can tell you that it is a combination that I most definitely will be trying at some time fairly soon.  It was just magical, thank you Gavin.

As a vegetarian I had a beautiful tomato consommé. I had seen Mr Oliver making this on his TV shows in the past but I had never really tried it before myself, always meaning to make it but somehow using all the tomatoes in the house on other things. However, after trying this tomato consommé that Luke had made I am more determined to source out some really tasty tomatoes in the summer and try to make some myself.  The consommé was beautifully clear and in the base of the bowl were vivid red squares of the peeled tomato flesh all cut to the exact same size.  How do chefs manage to do these things?! Not only were the squares of tomato the same size as each other but the chives that were floating decoratively on the top of the consommé were also the same length as each other!  Floating on the top of the consommé were thin slivers of shallot's and these completed the beautiful picture that was the bowl of tomato consommé.  I tried to make it last as long as I could, savouring every mouthful, it was so fresh tasting and refreshingly delicious.

For the main course Luke had prepared a slow-braised Thirsk lamb shoulder with miso glazed aubergine, confit garlic, wild mushroom and broad bean fricasse.   The garlic that had been used for the confit was a fresh new season 'wet garlic', this being the new harvested garlic used whilst the outer layers of the bulb and stem were still fresh and soft and before they have dried to the papery layer that we are all so familiar with. Each garlic bulb, complete with stem and some roots, had been cleaned and split into 2 halves and gently confit in some oil.  Very fresh garlic cooked like this has a gentle mild taste that is very easy to eat.  I think my daughter Lucy will be telling you more about the main course so I will leave that for you to read in her post.

As a vegetarian, for a main dish I was presented with a lovely looking plate of Goyza, these little steamed then sautéed, dumplings, half moon in shape and filled with mushrooms that had been chopped very finely.  The mushrooms used were Pied du Blue, Girolle and Giant Oyster Mushrooms, giving a great colour combination to the filling of the Goyza. This was served with some confit garlic, miso glazed aubergine, endgame beans, a few wild mushroom, broad bean fricasse, a little rice wine and a soy dressing that bought the whole dish together with a slightly salty piquant flavouring... Perfect!

Dessert was cooked by Leona. It was hazelnut ganache with chocolate shortbread, cherry ice cream and Vin Santo marinated cherries.  Rich, chocolatey, and a true treat.  John was there with his touch of food styling magic again and the dish looked just beautiful and tasted even better!

The chefs cooking for us were just a delight.  Luke Robinson, I had the great pleasure of meeting a few months ago, is always enthusiastic and passionate about what he is cooking and happy to explain to me how it's cooked. Luke has been busy since leaving Fifteen.  Luke had been working and living in Italy before returning to the UK around 6 months or so ago. On his return, he worked at "61", a restaurant near St. Paul's in London. Now he is Executive Head Chef at Bonnie Gull Seafood restaurant which will be opening shortly in Fitzrovia, London.

John Harvey is a lovely talented young man who is working as a food stylist. He discovered that he had a flair for this and spent time working on the Jamie At Home TV shows.  More recently he has done a pilot show for a food programme for the Africa channel.

Leona Williams never stopped smiling throughout the whole evening.  She has more recently been at home looking after her three young children.  She has also been doing some child minding whilst at home. She made a beautiful dessert and I can see just how happy she is in a kitchen environment.  The dessert she made was beautiful.  Gavin, who was also cooking at the Supper Club, described Leona as his 'better half'.  They had met before the Fifteen Apprentice Programme and are a lovely couple.  Gavin also seems to spend all his time smiling and all I can think of when I look at the two of them is what a happy family they must be.  Their second child was born on the day she graduated from Fifteen.

Among the class of 2006 who were not able to make the Supper Club are...

Dean McClumpha, who is now working as a Head Pastry Chef at Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen.

Scott Davies McKenzie who is now a Head Chef at No.5 Cavendish Square, restaurant.

Dwayne Joseph, a Sous Chef at the Spotted Pig in New York.

Sean Kent is Chef de Partie at 500 Restaurant, an Italian restaurant in London.

Sean Kimpson, is working at Delaunay as a Sous Chef.

And finally Joanna Reeves is working for Inmarsat as a pastry chef.

Also helping at this month's Supper Club was Jai Harrower from the Class of 2011.  Jai is a real character and another one of the graduates who did not stop smiling all the time he was cooking.  His smile is infectious and you cannot help but smile back at him. Jai is a talented young man. I am looking forward to seeing him again in a couple of months’ time when the class of 2011 do their Supper Club.  Since leaving Fifteen, Jai has worked in Trullo's, an Italian restaurant that one of the first group of trainees, Tim Siadatan opened a few years ago.  Trullo's has been described by the food critic Jay Rainer as being "great food, expertly cooked and served by friendly waiting staff".  Before working at Trullo's, Jai had worked in a 5* hotel with Gavin.

Mercy Taembo was also from the class of 2011. She spent the whole evening smiling and worked hard supporting and cooking with the other chefs who were cooking that evening. Mercy's skill is in pastry. She is working in a very smart French restaurant, Plateau in Canary Wharf, where she works mainly on pastry and starters.  She must be a real asset to their team. I am also looking forward to seeing Mercy again when it's her group's turn to cook.

I hope you can tell from what I have written that this was a very happy, vibrant supper club that was full of laughter.

Likes (0)

#30 Sat 23 Jun 12 1:07am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Another wonderful report shared Mummza! Such a treat to read! cool  big_smile  thumbsup  clap  smile

Likes (0)