forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 16 Jun 12 8:13pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: The deadly legacy of America's fields of gold

Fructose is a sugar that can only be metabolized by the liver, so as such it is "worse" than sucrose (table sugar), which is 50% glucose and 50% fructose.  The thing with fruit is that you at least get the vitamins, minerals and fibre as well as the fructose, which makes it a bit better that HFCS on its own.  But if you're after weightloss or have a problem with over-eating sweet things you are better to avoid fruit purely because of the sugar (and to be honest, there isn't much in the way of nutrition that you can't get from vegetables anyway!).  With honey, depending on how processed it is, you are also getting some trace minerals and goodness to offset the fructose - but personally it is also something I avoid on a regular basis. 

It really is a personal thing - I try to avoid sugar in all its forms as much as possible.  I do not add it to anything any more (or any other kind of chemical sweetener, either), and I only eat fruit very occasionally otherwise I set off a craving for sweet things, but this is very much an N=1 situation.  On the whole, though, I think avoiding sugars is good - and being careful with fruit is also a good idea, too.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 16 Jun 12 10:57pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

As I wrote earlier there is some research into the differences between how the body metabolizes HFCS and refined white sugar. I will try and find the some relevant reference links.

basic difference as I remember it is that the glucose fructose in refined white is bonded and that bond needs to be broken before either can be absorbed through the gut wall. ( through enzymatic action if I remember properly) . 

the fructose in HFCS is unbonded and as such it can start being absorbed higher in the digestive track and faster as the enzymatic action to break down the white sugar doesn't all happen at once.

This doesn't make a whole lot of difference in things like baked goods or other foods but in liquids it can mean that a larger amount of fructose can hit the liver in a shorter time from a drink sweetened  HFCS rather than refined white.

I wouldn't take that to mean that refined white is somehow good for you, just potentionaly slightly less damaging in large quantities in soda or other kinds of drinks.

I will see what references I can dig up later when I have time.

edit..   The study was relatively small sample size but here is an article about it at this link

http://www.worldhealth.net/news/biologi … -explored/

Also a short abstract of the study here

http://www.sugarnutrition.org.uk/high-f … onses.aspx

Last edited by Ashen (Sat 16 Jun 12 11:15pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#13 Sat 16 Jun 12 11:36pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

This is scary stuff, I stopped drinking fizzy drinks a long time ago.
Amazing those snack bars  Nutri Grain and so on.
Yet more reasons to make things your self.
Ashen your research is very good, as ever.
Great post Danny.

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 17 Jun 12 12:00am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I read that sucrose-sweetened beverages tend to make you feel hungry...you drink 2 glasses of 'O% sugar' pepsi, coca-cola etc...think that you are dieting and then eat more than usual.

Something about danger in sweets too, a not natural agent that has been found to be cancerous ... just an example was given with M&M's in the sugared shell ..?? sorry, i'll try to find the name.

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 17 Jun 12 5:54am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

the issue is not just quantity.
it is quality too. berries donīt make people fat. if they did, the fenno-ugric nations would be the most obese people ever.
honey, from a farm, not the supermarket and hotel kind, does not make you fat if you live in a cold region.
corn syrup - I dont buy processed foods and I am not sure if there is something even near me with corn syrup.
but I am seeing a lot of fat people lately in my country and especially men have really lost their shape. it is ugly. they all have this bubble around their belly and it is not from beer. too large quantity of meat in one meal is the estoniansī problem. it is like for most people, meat is the only thing that is called food. a grilling night at Midsummer can have 2 kg of meat per person.  I am sure cookies, soft drinks and cereals are becoming a trend as well, but mostly I blame the lifestyle, sitting down, and easy access to food and snacks. you can eat anywhere, any time. Eating is not a necessity, but an addiction and a habit. If they are not eating, they are chewing gum. Their teeth canīt get rest... they need to give constant impulses to their stomach.
many doctors are blaming obesity to too much protein as well though, compared to too little fat and fiber. Normal foods contain fat and fiber, processed foods, like zero fat prducts contain sugar INSTEAD and the fat and fiber are taken out. It is not just the sugar, it is malnutrition from the lack of vital nutrients. Imbalance. too much sugar can be easily burned with exercise, but it doesnī t compensate for the nutrients you donīt get at all, that help your body function.

but yeah. it is worrying how estonians as well have blown out of proportions literally.

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 17 Jun 12 8:21am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I have a list of foods ranked re the simple sugars they contain and raspberries and strawberries are very low RedFox (equal with coconut, carrots and red capsicum), so I think berries are a good option! cool

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 17 Jun 12 10:02am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
    Likes (0)

#18 Sun 17 Jun 12 10:14am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
    Likes (0)

#19 Thu 01 Nov 12 10:19am

vphilly

Member since Thu 01 Nov 12

Hi Danny,

Noticed that you were mentioning Pure White and Deadly by John Yudkin earlier this year, as it was featured in the BBC 2 Documentary.
It's actually just been re-issued by Penguin, as it had been out of print for years, so you can get hold of a copy now. And it has an new introduction by one of the medics featured in the programme.

Best,

vphilly

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 02 Nov 12 10:18pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

It's a shame that Yudkin got the short end of the stick.

Here's a link that I posted in this thread already to a lecture given by Dr. Robert Lustig.
He's featured in the documentary several times.

Sugar: The bitter truth 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ

It's unfortunate that the documentary doesn't include his findings about how the liver processes alcohol, sucrose and glucose. It starts a min 46. But watch the whole vid.

I wonder what big business will twist this into next.   roll

Likes (0)