Re: Welcome to the forums!

big_smile Genebak welcome and just look around and ask smile

Likes (0)

#4232 Fri 22 Jun 12 4:55am

kmdavid

Member since Fri 22 Jun 12

Hi Jamie, et al,
I love your cookbooks and have always had great success with your recipes.  I'm having trouble with your 'celery root smash' recipe from p. 238 of Meals in Minutes.  I've tried it twice, and both times the chunks of celery root have come out like inedible chunks of tree bark.  The first time, I thought perhaps I had microwaved it too long, or that my celery root was old (not being too familiar with choosing a 'good one').  However, I tried it again with a celery root purchased directly from the farmer, and cooked it exactly as you directed,  checking it every couple of minutes to make sure it wasn't getting overcooked in my microwave.   And, it was inedible again.  What am I doing wrong?  Perhaps the celery root here in Canada is not the same as what you have in the UK? 
Many thanks
Kathleen
Calgary, Alberta,Canada

Likes (0)

#4233 Wed 04 Jul 12 3:50pm

MAS Chef

Member since Wed 04 Jul 12

Hi Jamie and all guests
Jamie, my heart went out to you some years back while you sorted the primaries schools, I am a Chef trained by the Army whoís seen high street restaurants, private hospitals and members clubs, along with prison service where I instructed NVQ while running the kitchen with the help of the trainees, this long before Gordon! Iím now 5 years in post at a secondary school and itís the best job I've had over the years. You have been an inspiration to many school caterers who have become more willing to work with the standards you helped put in place, and may they carry on doing so, we are but tools of the trade.
I had tried to invite you over 3-4 yrs back, but you are a busy chap, anyhow it would be great to hear from you in person. I have over my time here worked with the school on projects that takes me into the class room to show off skills, talk about nutritionís and how they work with the body from young people to the more mature daily dietary requirement. We have menus on display that back up the hard work my team and I deliver to the school and Iím only too willing to get involved where I can, it would be a pleasure to quote your name and have invites form schools in Oxfordshire who need the help and direction with training needs, skills and demonstrations.

Kind Regards
A-J Brady
Matthew Arnold School Oxford

Likes (0)

#4234 Fri 06 Jul 12 8:54am

jeffbeede

Member since Mon 25 Jun 12

hi Jamie,

New to the community - look forward to learn lots from you.

Thank you,
Jeff

Likes (0)

#4235 Thu 12 Jul 12 1:17pm

Tonetek

Member since Thu 12 Jul 12

Hi Jamie and all
Does anyone know of a cooking school that is not like basic cooking but also not Al la carte, Something that is family cooking, everyday food?
Its just a see a place in the market to teach people to cook but most are worry that they will make a fool of themselves or its just to hard. Eveybody loves food and cooking but not many people do theses days. Ive always loved my food and have got into cooking late in life and wished i'd cooked more when i was younger but better late then never!
When i look at cooking schools there are really basic or really advanced and it made me think if we are to get people cooking again why cant there be a school for everyday food??
Take care Tony  help
P.s like Jamie i'm based in Essex

Likes (0)

#4236 Thu 12 Jul 12 11:57pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

kmdavid wrote:

Hi Jamie, et al,
I love your cookbooks and have always had great success with your recipes.  I'm having trouble with your 'celery root smash' recipe from p. 238 of Meals in Minutes.  I've tried it twice, and both times the chunks of celery root have come out like inedible chunks of tree bark.  The first time, I thought perhaps I had microwaved it too long, or that my celery root was old (not being too familiar with choosing a 'good one').  However, I tried it again with a celery root purchased directly from the farmer, and cooked it exactly as you directed,  checking it every couple of minutes to make sure it wasn't getting overcooked in my microwave.   And, it was inedible again.  What am I doing wrong?  Perhaps the celery root here in Canada is not the same as what you have in the UK? 
Many thanks
Kathleen
Calgary, Alberta,Canada

Hi Kathleen
I cook celery root quite a lot here in Germany where it is called Celeriac..it's about the size of a turnip. It can be microwaved but if you dice it and steam it for 30 minutes then mash with butter you'll get a good result. If it still tastes fibrous then I reckon your Canadian celeriac isn't the same as in Europe...I could find the same root in Michigan though thumbsup
Regards
Spice

Likes (0)

#4237 Fri 20 Jul 12 12:35pm

Steph12

Member since Fri 20 Jul 12

Hi guys I am from Namibia, Swakopmund actually. i studied hospitality but my heart lie sin the kitchen. I LOVE cooking and actually inventing my own recipes. Jamie you rock lol..Must say your pots cook the best  smile

Likes (0)

#4238 Fri 27 Jul 12 10:32am

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Welcome to all of our new forum members - there are great people here from all over the world to chat with you...

cheers from Danny

Likes (0)

#4239 Fri 27 Jul 12 12:30pm

MAS Chef

Member since Wed 04 Jul 12

Danny, how does one have a conversation with the main man? I tried years back to invite Jamie to the school here, but as he was and is always busy that did not happen, and understandably. Now that there's new concern re academy schools and bad practices in place, I really wanted to get on board with Jamie.

Likes (0)

#4240 Sat 28 Jul 12 11:48am

guzinlone

Member since Sat 28 Jul 12

hello ive always liked jamie as a person and i really like his shows i tape all the programmes. but i want to buy a food processor but the magimix is so expensive so which is the next best one that yu have used you could recommed please. ive just joined today as im writing this 28/7/2012  smile

Likes (0)