forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 03 Jul 12 3:46pm

Lemrac15

Member since Tue 03 Jul 12

Confused messages going out to the public

Dear Jamie
You hold a special place in my heart and mind for the fact that you are a rare celebrity chef who seems to have higher order intentions i.e to bring good to the community in which you live. You demonstrate this through your Ministry of Food and the 'learn to cook' shops eg. in Brighton. I applaud you on your efforts and I hope the Queen will accord you your due recognition one day.

You are very influential through your work.
I work in health care and I see the consequence of the public who have spent too much of the lives eating too much salt, sugar, white flour, saturated fats, fried foods and eating too little green veg, fruit and not drinking enough water. When I watch you throw handfuls of salt onto your meat, plus the extra tablespoon of soya sauce and black bean sauce....you are creating my future patients. People eating this food develop high blood pressure. Too much meat and butter equals too much saturated fat, and this leads to high cholesterol, high blood pressure, increases the risk for stroke and dementia. Too much sugar and low GI carbs leads to diabetes  (also highly associated with dementia) in those with this genetic vulnerability. Many of your recipes have 'too much' of the bad stuff I'm afraid. Even when people believe (as you do) that olive oil 'is good for you', it is still a fat even if it a unstaurated fat. Too much of olive oil, will make people fat. So in brief, I see your cooking choices as recipes that encourage poor health. Why don't you consult the research for the recommended per day consumption of of salt, meat, sugar etc before you tell your audience to cook your recipes? Many of your recipes are suited to being eaten only very occasionally.  Telling your audience to grill their food till they see it carbonise is the same as telling them to burn the meat until it increases their risk for stomach cancer. If your audience were to cook your recipes regularly then I predict the individual's body will become fatty (ie. not toned) and will develop health problems requiring medication by the age of 45-50. There is something knwon as 'hidden fat'..i.e. fat around the internal organs that you do not see on the body. This is the most dangerous type of fat to have because it carries a high risk for disease. So I urge you to teach the public to cook truly healthy food - food that will keep their good health well into the future.  Watch how you and your family eat Jamie. You are what you eat. Pay more attention to what your recipes will do to people who eat it regularly. I hope you will have the courage to show the public  how to truly eat for their health.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 03 Jul 12 10:20pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Confused messages going out to the public

Welcome to the forum Lemrac15  smile

Most recipes cooked are for more than one person .

Dont forget that what you are seeing is enlarged on the telly and always looks more than it is,swirls of oil around a pan can seem a vast amount but if you try t at home you will see its not as much as you think ... also with the salt , if you are using salt crystals this again looks more a good pinch can look like quite a lot .

I dont think I have ever see a tv show where any chef has suggested that the meat is cooked till carbonised !
... its caramalised that they are saying , that just means that the meat is browned fairly well on the outer edges .

I think what we all sometimes forget is that we do need a balanced diet .. some fats some sugars , proteins , cabohydrates, vegetables and , calciums vitamins etc.

I dont think that the messages that Mr Oliver gives out are bad at all , he comes acoss as passionate about getting people to eat better , eat more fresh produce and eat home made produce and what he seems to be trying to do is to encourage people to do just this , showing them easy ways to cook and with easily obtained ingredients.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 04 Jul 12 12:51pm

Gravy Queen

Occupation Being Fabulous
From Liverpool
Member since Sun 10 Oct 04

Also lets not forget that people have to take responsibility for their own health, Jamie can't do that for them.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 04 Jul 12 1:35pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I agree Gravy Queen.  We're inundated with information about health and diet in every form of media and people hear advice constantly on this subject from experts, but they don't heed the advice.  They willingly and knowingly eat a diet that makes them unhealthy and obese.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 04 Jul 12 1:53pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Too much of anything is bad for you.

To speak as vehemently as the OP is a little excessive/emotive I think, & although I hear that it comes from a 'good place', it is another knee-jerk reaction.
Has the OP only watched JO on tv? Have they actually opened one of his books & read the recipes & quantities of the ingredients used? It appears not, or else they would have realised that 'carbonising' meat is never mentioned, that salt & sugar are relatively small quantities, & that olive oil is used in place of other more unhealthy fats.

JO & other such chefs expect that the people watching, listening & reading their recipes have a modicum of commonsense, that they know that if they have a condition that precludes them from using fats, salt, sugars or indeed anything else, that they will cut down or cut it completely from the recipe & find alternatives.
Recipes are a starting point, not just an end in themselves. Cooks (& indeed diners) need to think about what they eating & take responsibilty for themselves, not rely on the 'Nanny-state' to do it for them.

If a person is hell-bent on eating themselves into an early grave, you, I, healthcare practitioners...........& JO..............are going to do nothing to stop them, whether we advocate they live on lentils & lettuce or not!

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 04 Jul 12 3:42pm

ema1979

Member since Wed 04 Jul 12

I work within a community setting educating people on a healthier diet ;-agreed chefs could cut down on the amount of salt, butter etc
- however 75% of salt that people consume is hidden salt in processed foods by getting more people to cook from scratch  (which is a government guideline) people can control what is added to their food!!!

Most people have illness associated with food are not the people who cook from scratch but are people living on convienience foods! and not participating in regular physical activity.

im sure if you work out salt per portion of JO meals compared to a supermarket meal it would be lower plus lots of veggies in JO (potassium) that helps lower BP!
and get your 5 a day in!

keep up the good work jamie - clap 
i love u xx kiss

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 04 Jul 12 6:58pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

welcome to the forum ema1979  smile

you are so right about the hidden salt in manufactured foods , when my children were small and I discovered just how much salt was in an everyday item like bought bread made a decision to make our own and have done so ever since.
We gradually reduced the salt quantity at a rate wher the family would not notice and now use around a quarter of the recomeded amount and the bread tastes just fine.
The only problem is , if ever I eat bread when I am out , I really notice the salt in it !

we eat loads of vegetables and fresh fruits and vegetables and since my family have left home my darling is eating less meat ( mainly because I am vegetarain !)

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 04 Jul 12 6:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Gravy Queen wrote:

Also lets not forget that people have to take responsibility for their own health, Jamie can't do that for them.

Gravy Queen , good to see you and yes I agree its people who have to take responsibility for themselves and ensure they eat a good diet.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 05 Jul 12 2:24pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I don't think Jamie is the one who is teaching people to eat too much of anything.  The truth of the matter is that the majority of people seem to eat a large amount of processed food.  It sounds like you'd rather chefs teach people how to eat like pigeons, nobody is going to go for that.  Better to teach people how to make good wholesome food that's easy to prepare at home rather than reach for ready-meals.  Jamie's not on a quest to save anyone from salt or fat or whatever, he's on a quest to make people understand that fresh food is the better way to go.

Likes (0)