Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 12 Jul 12 8:51pm

hguk

Member since Thu 12 Jul 12

golden zucchinis

when does a golden zucchini become a marrow rather than a courgette? is it with age or with size. I'm getting FI hybrid taxi zucchinis weighing over 3 kilos within 8 weeks of germination from seed. HGUK

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 12 Jul 12 10:57pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: golden zucchinis

Zucchini in America and Italy = Courgettes..

Courgettes become marrows when left to grow, if you want courgettes you cut them when they are about 10cm-15cm. When bigger they become marrows, wait until they are 20cms long and use gloves to cut them as they have nasty spikes.

Your courgettes within just the usual 8 weeks of growth, but now weighing 3kgs have become marrows...they need a lot of water which is probably the reason that they have grown so much...

Marrows can be kept for longer than courgettes...in a cool place, for several weeks.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 12 Jul 12 11:05pm

hguk

should i have harvested at 4 weeks when they were about the size of bananas

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 12 Jul 12 11:07pm

Kye

Forum super champ

The weather is wicked, all depends how much sun and rain you have had....are you in England?

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 12 Jul 12 11:31pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I had one courgette plant in a tub and it's been so wet it rotted and did not survive , the pot had stones in the base and drainage holes and it was stood on another large flower pot that was upturned so drainage should not have been an issue , it just been the vast volume of rain that has fallen where we live drowned the poor plant ... This has now happened 2 years running !
The garden has been struggling a little bit with the heavy rain fall and also the high winds that we had recently , it's not at all like summer !

The tomatoes in the little plastic greenhouse are just about coping with the chilly wet weather but I am not holding out much hope for large crops this year.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 12 Jul 12 11:36pm

hguk

grown hydroponically in a greenhouse, no heat and no good weather though.yes england

Last edited by hguk (Thu 12 Jul 12 11:40pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 12 Jul 12 11:43pm

Kye

Forum super champ

We have quite a few courgettes in our garden, they are getting along well, i also had to plant a few in my flower gardens as they were taking up too much space....it has been raining everyday for over a month so as soon as i notice any growth i'll probably cover each plant to avoid too much humidity.

Better luck next year.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 13 Jul 12 9:14am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

kye in france wrote:

The weather is wicked, all depends how much sun and rain you have had....are you in England?

The younger generations now say ' wicked ' meaning something that is ..good .. Brilliant ..or something of notable interest to them !!

Quite unlike how I have always thought of the meaning of wicked ..which to me means something really bad !!!

Kye ..I know what you mean is wicked/bad and not wicked/good !!!!!!! lol

Last edited by mummza (Fri 13 Jul 12 9:16am)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 13 Jul 12 3:06pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I am curious about 'marrows'.  We divide squash into 'winter' and 'summer' types -  summer squash is harvested in summer and has very tender flesh and skin.  These types include zucchini, yellow summer squash varieties, patty pan, etc.  They grow very well in our area.  Usually, one harvests them at the smallest stage because if you grow them for one day longer, they become enormous and sometimes tough, which is considered undesirable.  Winter squash is typically harvested in late summer and fall and has a hard exterior with firm flesh - acorn squash, pumpkins, etc.  I think butternut fits in to this group because it is firm, even though one sees it in the markets in summer.

Is marrow a summer squash that's become huge and tough?  How is it used?

When any of my squash became the size of cricket bats or baseball bats, others used it grated or in zucchini bread and said it was not tough, but that was exactly one day of growth past the time I should have cut it, a difference from a tender, 6 - 8 inch delicate squash to a 2 foot, fibrous bat.  I sometimes wonder too if the small ones are a lot more nutritious because so much of the benefits are in the skin, so one gets a higher ratio of skin to flesh in the young stages?

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 13 Jul 12 6:43pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Courgettes are immature marrows. They are called big courgette here, are probably not as tasty or nutritious as the smaller ones, more watery.

They can be stuffed, souped, veloutÚ with soft cheese is delicious, used in savoury breads, chutney is really tasty too with cheeses, sliced and baked with cheese toppings...pizza toppings...

Likes (0)