forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Wed 24 Feb 10 7:24pm

MsK

Forum champ
Occupation Travelling around the globe..
From ..Holland..land of windmills!!
Member since Tue 12 Jan 10

Re: Page 165 Bolognese Sauce

I think we should ask the italian ladies here for a good italian bolognese recipe... no offense to Jamie..but a good italian knows his/her bolognese!! big_smile

Likes (0)

#32 Wed 24 Feb 10 8:29pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi RCP and others with doubts on this: I would advice you to check out Gordon Ramsay's video on youtube for bolognaise. It couldnt be more simple. And no theres no water involved.
A portuguese Chef who I quite admire keeps saying that water just ruins the flavour of food. Solution? Stock!

Of course this isnt valid for all recipes but I see his point and in many cases he's right!

Good luck! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#33 Wed 24 Feb 10 10:07pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

i make a few different versions ...the  ragu that my Mum taught me to cook is made with beef & veal (plus your usual soffrito), red wine, sun dried tomato puree and beef stock...i don't add any tomatoes to  this version but i sometimes do when i'm using the sauce for a baked dish...i don't add milk  although i know it's popular in certain regions  hmm

Ashen hit the nail on the head when he once said "it's a meat sauce with tomatoes and not a tomato sauce with meat" (or something like that  mrgreen )......the trick to getting a rich, velvety sauce is to add the stock bit by bit (like risotto) and not all at once  smile

Likes (0)

#34 Wed 24 Feb 10 10:53pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

I can't ever imagine mixing water into tinned toms and just expecting it to thicken?
I've never been to Bologna so I've never experienced real Bolognese sauce but i'm pretty sure it doesn't have much water either...my mate Les who was often in these regions swore that you could barely detect the meat in a good Bolognese, as AA says "the trick to getting a rich, velvety sauce is to add the stock bit by bit (like risotto) and not all at once". Another tip I got was to use fine ground, not just minced beef.
I love the sauce with Jamie's meatballs, more to the point, my boys love it. Simple passatta, onions, garlic, basil and balsamic vinegar...and truthfully the balsamic is the kick..I'll have to try this in a Bolognese format...finished with some Parmesan to thicken the sauce, maybe.

Likes (0)

#35 Thu 25 Feb 10 1:34pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Nice avatar mr spice, no wonder you were eager to show it to us wink

Reminds me of school, blackboards and chalk! lol

Likes (0)

#36 Thu 07 Apr 11 9:56pm

superkully

Member since Thu 07 Apr 11

That'll teach me for reading this forum before cooking anything from that book.

Yup, watery and tasteless - ugh.

This comes after cooking the chilli con carne which was also watery (less so) and just tasted and smelt of cinnamon.

How difficult can it be for the man (or someone else at the company) to try each recipe as it is written and then taste it?

This book is meant for people who have little experience of cooking, I'm going to try some more recipes but am utterly disappointed.

Likes (0)

#37 Mon 31 Oct 11 1:14am

norriscath

Member since Mon 31 Oct 11

Hey everyone Iím new here!

I tired the bolognese as well, and like a lot of you followed the recipe and ended up having WAY too much liquid towards the end.
But after the 60 mins of simmering, i simply ladled the excess liquid from the top, and continued to simmer for another 10-15 mins to reduced a little further, and it worked out fine!
And tasted nice with some spaghetti and parmesan cheese on the top smile

Having said that, this was the first recipe i tried from the ministry of food, so Iíll be a little bit more wary about following all the instructions to a tee.

Likes (0)

#38 Fri 11 Nov 11 4:32am

enrico.billi

Member since Fri 11 Nov 11

Hello everyone i am new too, but i come from Bologna, so i suppose i can give an help eheeheh  mrgreen
The vegetable release a lot of water, usually i don't add too much water at the beginning, just necessary to let the vegetable and the meat "swim" inside the pot.
In Bologna every family has its own way to make "Ragu'", in my family we use 200g minced beaf and 200g minced pork (the fat part of the pork make it more tasty).
If i can give a personal advice, after you add the meat and it became gray, you can add good red wine (tipical Bologna red wine is Sangiovese). This because Jamie used bacon  shocked
in my family we use fresh sausage that are made also with red wine too.
Enjoy!
yummy

Last edited by enrico.billi (Fri 11 Nov 11 4:32am)

Likes (0)

#39 Sun 02 Sep 12 9:36pm

dishydish

Member since Sun 02 Sep 12

Hi there,

I had the exact same problem as you and after a few minutes on the internet I discovered that this recipe is slightly different in other Jamie sites. I think it is a misprint or else it has been adapted since.

Anyway, the other version calls for only one 14 oz can of water and also indicates to put the lid on but leave it open a crack. The Ministry of Food version just says put on lid and simmer an hour and also calls for two cans of water.

I salvaged my sauce by adding tomato paste, though I agree it was a real disappointment. I would agree with the others on this forum that you could skip the water all together and maybe add a third 14oz can of tomatos or just paste. Also, next time I will brown the meat. I think there was a lot of moisture in the meat that messed with the sauce.

Good luck!

TG

Likes (0)

#40 Sun 02 Sep 12 9:48pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum dishydish  smile

I did nnot know there were other jamie sites.

I think that the recipe sounds like it uses an awful lot of water, I would use far less .
But I have to honest here and say that I never add water to the ragu,s that I make as I usually use red wine instead .. or if there is no wine to use for cooking I use a little stock .

Likes (0)