forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 04 Sep 12 7:09pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Glass ceramic or Induction, which one to choose?

We have almost always used a gas cooktop/hob, now we have to choose an electric one for the new house.

I'd love to know which one is the most reliable/operational and how to use one or the other, do i really have to re-cycle the ancient caseroles into plant pots if Induction is really the best? hmm

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 05 Sep 12 7:43am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Re: Glass ceramic or Induction, which one to choose?

If it's going to cost you more to replace your pots and pans you love to use..... hmm

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 05 Sep 12 9:02am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Hi Kye,

This is the same choice I had to make when we were building.  Growing up we always had gas, which I think is the best, but we don't have gas here.  In our first house in the UK we had a ceramic hob, and then in the rental we lived in here while building we had an old electric with the hot plates, so I've used them all.

I decided to go for induction as I heard it was the closest thing to gas you could get, and one of my best friends also recomended it.   Having lived with it for nearly 2 years, there are definite pros and cons.

On the positive, it has an incredibly fast respose time, an average sauce pan of water will come to the boil quicker than my kettle.  If anything boils over, it does not bun on, and you can wipe it up immediately without having to wait for the hob to cool down.  It is supposed to use less electricity, though I've never monitored it's consumption.  You will never melt a plastic tool again, or burn a tea towel or anything else left on it by accident.  When you turn off the ring, you can safely leave the pan on the ring without it continuing to cook.

On the down side you are limited on the pots and pans you can use, an easy way to check if your current pans will work is to see if a magnet will stick to them, if so they're okay.  However, being condutive isn't the only thing to look for, you must make sure that the base of the pans you use are level, as if they have any curve to them, they may not make enough of a connection to work properly.  I've found if the bottom of the pan is not clean (after one of the kids did a really bad job of washing up), this too can affect how well it works.  Despite what you may have been led to believe the hob does get hot, but this is from the heat the pan gives off transfering back to the glass, so it is not hot enough to burn, but you still wouldn't want to touch it really.

If I were relpacing the hob, would I choose induction again, definitely!

I hope this helps a little Kye  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 05 Sep 12 11:40am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Kye I have the glass hob and love it, its about 20 years old now and still going strong. They also recommend using certain pots and pans but I have used all types with no problems.  Also the cleaning is so easy.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 05 Sep 12 11:36pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Well here everyone always had hot plates so I can tell you to avoid them. Generally I agree with BritFinn and having tried both I choose induction, but if there is a chance you can get gas, I would go for it all the way!  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 05 Sep 12 11:54pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Hi Brit, your information has greatly helped me to choose an Induction, the positive side overwheighs the negative...
replacing two old copper casseroles and a brand new one..bought this month (i'll give it to friends) + JO's frying pan are all non induction...not a great deal will be lost.

What is the fabrication/make of your Induction?

The steam cooker and two tefal fryers are inductive tolerant so all i have to do is replace a few casseroles. smile

Now for the wok and tagine hmm ..

Sandy, the last time we had a glass hob my heavy handed husband smashed it with a casserole yikes He also was so brusk with the built in oven door that it fell off one day neutral He is a great cook but the clearing up after is tiring lol

Finally no, i cannot relive that scene, it was drastic to say the least....so...

I really believe that an Induction will be the choice to take....i'll have to get it guaranteed for life....(it's or ours) help

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 28 Sep 12 1:40pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

My hob is a Samsung, but Kye, I have induction envy.  Last night I saw an advert for a new one by Siemens.  Apparantley it takes any size pan, and the whole hob is condutive, so you can put pans anywhere.  I bet it cost a fortune though!

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 28 Sep 12 2:59pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Glad you made your choice Kye, hope it works out well for you.

I was going to say that I had an electric hob and the cleaning up is really tedious. The hotplates are not the sealed in ones so there is another level under them for spills to collect which means taking the elements out and pulling the whole thing apart.

On the up side, all the bits clean up in the sink if not left to bake on too ling and the big element gets truely hot enough to stir fry in a standard steel wok.

Likes (0)