Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 05 Sep 12 4:40pm

JAW

Member since Sat 16 Jul 11

Eating in Morocco

Hi folks,

In a couple of days I will be headed to Marrakech for a few days. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on eating there? I'd like to get an authentic eating experience if possible!

Cheers,
Jason

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 06 Sep 12 1:44am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Re: Eating in Morocco

Hi Jason! I've never been to Morocco to give you any valued advice, tho, here is a info link courtesy of Wiki!

http://wikitravel.org/en/Marrakech

(If you scroll down you will find the "Eat" section & they recommend you to dine at the Foodcourt Stalls as well!  thumbsup )

When I read you were visiting Morocco, I instantly thought of a Forum Member; the lovely late GeoffP (thinking of you too, Geoff, like Mada & Maree & All!) - I did a search & it was Cairo in Egypt that he travelled to, so, I had to google so I didn't get my "wires crossed"!  wink

Enjoy your holiday in Marrakech, Jason! And, please let us know how your fabulous trip/experience in Africa went - when time permits, thank you!

Cheers; Kris  smile

Merry Christmas to you ALL! :-)
    Likes (0)

#3 Fri 07 Sep 12 11:36am

JAW

Hi Kris,

Thanks for your response, the Wiki Eat looks quite useful! Thanks, I will post some photos/stories online!

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 07 Sep 12 11:51am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Hi JAW,

We set up a pop up restaurant in Marrakech last year. The food in Marrakech is amazing! so many amazing spices... the markets are incredible there, you will love it!

some of the best food there isnt in restaurants or cafes, it is found tucked away in little side streets near the market in the anchient part of the city (Medina)

We ate a brilliant meal in a Riad near the city centre I will post the adress so that you can check it out when you get there mate.

Riad Amira Victoria 
12 derb el Baroud - Hart soura - Bab Kechich - Medina, Marrakesh, Morocco

Another brilliant place that I found was

Pepe Nero Restaurantmore
Douar Graoua
Marrakesh, Morocco

Let me know how you get on mate, all the best!

Dave B

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 07 Sep 12 7:28pm

foliemarrie

Member since Thu 06 Sep 12

well, surely u will have the famous COUSCOUS...
the best there, in Morocco.

All families do cook this fabulous food.

I had it there, and really, would love a place where I can eat
the same here, in Québec.

have a good trip...and good couscous smile

foliemarrie

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 07 Sep 12 7:34pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

yummy Tagines, i love marocain foods smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 09 Sep 12 2:28pm

JAW

Thanks for that Dave, that's really helpful. So street food is worth checking out then/and is safe?

I'll certainly post some pics etc when I'm back!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 10 Sep 12 12:34am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

JAW wrote:

Hi Kris,

Thanks for your response, the Wiki Eat looks quite useful! Thanks, I will post some photos/stories online!

Hi Jason! Thanks for your reply & you are very welcome!
Sorry for my late reply - I've just been milking the cows with my hubby over the weekend, while our worker had his time off!

That's a great response for you, Jason, from, Dave - glad you had a fab time in Morocco, Dave! cool

Welcome to J.O.'s Foliemarrie, yes I like couscous, too! The cafe I worked in last year made it quite regularly for lunch!  yummy

Kye! Tagines? I will have to google!  wink
{I googled! Mmmm! A tagine is a slow-cooked stew, sounds devine yummy, Kye - thanks, I learnt something new! ....courtesy of Wiki once again! ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajine  ...}

Jason! We look forward to your photos & stories when you arrive back, that would be great thanks!
Safe travels to you & enjoy your holiday, too! wave

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Mon 10 Sep 12 12:44am)

Merry Christmas to you ALL! :-)
    Likes (0)

#9 Mon 10 Sep 12 2:37pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

I have been there a few times now and every time I have amazing food! all in the name of research!!! wink

The street food is safe to eat... I havent had any problems in any case!

The market stalls and street vendors are brilliant... so many amazing smells and flavours!

Tagines are amazing! beautifuly melt in the mouth lamb with cumin.... a marriage made in heaven! I had a beef with date and honey one too that was out of this world...

chimoula chicken too... you have to try that!... if you like spices and chilli

cous cous, flat breads, dried fruit, nuts, honey, spices... what is there not to like? Morrocan food really woke up my taste buds, their ability to combine spices with meat and fruit is fantastic!... you will love it there im sure

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 11 Sep 12 12:12am

JAW

Awesome, thanks!

Likes (0)