forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#661 Mon 03 Sep 12 6:40am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Wouldn't it be cool?

Joy, that's a big step but only you know what's right for you. Community organisations
can be rewarding but can also be frustrating. Been there, done that hmm.

Most of what I did yesterday was easy, peasy. Only the marmalade and lemon curd/butter needed my full and  "proper" attention.

Last edited by Maree (Mon 03 Sep 12 6:41am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#662 Sun 09 Sep 12 4:13am

Maree

Forum super champ

So, what are we cooking 1 October?

Likes (0)

#663 Sun 09 Sep 12 6:20am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Well, it will almost be halloween.....somethin' pumpkin' ??

Likes (0)

#664 Sun 09 Sep 12 6:25am

Maree

Forum super champ

Sounds good, Coco thumbsup

Likes (0)

#665 Sun 09 Sep 12 8:35am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Good idea , we can get butternut squash avalible other year round .

other small pumpkins start appearing in the shops soon as do the big round 'Halloween' style of pumpkins . It is rare to find canned pumpkin here  in the UK .

I have quite a large pale green pumpkin in my kitchen at the moment waiting for help to cut it and then to be cooked , these get sold every so often at one of the Asian stores near where I live .

Love those little tiny pumpkins cut into wedges or halves and scattered with a bit of chilli , Olive oil and roasted in the oven , a sure sign that autumn is upon us.

Likes (0)

#666 Sun 09 Sep 12 3:25pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

I have never been a fan of pumpkin, but most people make pie with it....and I am  not a huge fan of the spices they use.  Any pumpkin ideas that don't use the typical pumpkin pie spices?

Likes (0)

#667 Sun 09 Sep 12 5:04pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think of pumpkin as a savory thing and it was years before I realised that pumpkin pie was a sweet pie as I had always thought of it as a savory thing  oops

What about pumpkin risotto , thats really good or recentl I made a canniloni filled with pumpkin , well I taking my lead from the dish I had a Jamies Italian I filled the canniloni 3 different fillings, pumpkin and a bit of chilli in some of the canniloni , spinach and ricotta in some and I cant remember the 3rd filling that I used ,but though I am' blowing my own trumpet 'here  It was wonderful  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#668 Sun 09 Sep 12 5:30pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

cohphanta wrote:

I have never been a fan of pumpkin, but most people make pie with it....and I am  not a huge fan of the spices they use.  Any pumpkin ideas that don't use the typical pumpkin pie spices?

I've used canned pumpkin with nice results in place of the types Europeans would use i- as a gratin with gruyere cheese, a soup with coconut, a ravioli filling, but you certainly can find a lot of the traditional varieties fresh when the markets get the later winter squashes.  I saw loads of variety even in the basic chain grocery stores last fall.  Was your goal to use the same type used in pies?

Likes (0)

#669 Sun 09 Sep 12 5:47pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Mummza, many years ago when life wasn't so hectic, I used to either stuff and then bake the mini pumpkins/squash "or" I'd use them as a carrier for pumpkin soup.

Can't buy canned pumpkin here anymore othe than via a specific US/Australian-based website. It used to be available at Coles in the "International Food" aisle with Doctor Pepper *and* Marmite etc.

Thought at the time, who'd ever buy such stuff but when I only need 50g of pumpkin for a work recipe and am faced with (minimum) 1/2 pumpkin that I won't use and don't have a freezer for, I say "Gimme canned pumpkin, please."

Don't like the spices that they use for "pumpkin pie", Coco. Too strong for me.

I'll probably do an Asian/Indian pumpkin dish using dried mango. The iPad doesn't like it when I give this spice it's proper name. Will leave it at that.

Likes (0)

#670 Mon 10 Sep 12 4:55am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

MsPablo wrote:

cohphanta wrote:

I've used canned pumpkin with nice results in place of the types Europeans would use i- as a gratin with gruyere cheese, a soup with coconut, a ravioli filling, but you certainly can find a lot of the traditional varieties fresh when the markets get the later winter squashes.  I saw loads of variety even in the basic chain grocery stores last fall.  Was your goal to use the same type used in pies?

I've never had any other kind....and just have never liked it. I'll have to cruise the produce section and see what I can find.

Likes (0)