Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#4251 Wed 12 Sep 12 4:12am

Dreegle

Member since Wed 12 Sep 12

Re: Welcome to the forums!

Hi. I'm Chris. I am what I consider to be a home cook. (in that a chef can create any meal you want, if you give them the proper ingredients...but a cook can create a meal from whatever ingredients they have on hand). My philosophy is simple...cooking starts way before you hit the kitchen, and if there is a number in the ingredients list...avoid buying it. Of course, where I live in Australia, a very strange trend has taken place, in that fresh locally grown produce, is far more expensive than imported processed "foods" (for want of a better word). My hobbies revolve around food, at the moment (I am going to start home brewing beer soon, but need to build a mash lauter tun, and a couple of other pieces of equipment  before I can do that)...Funnily enough, my hobbies are things that would have been considered run of the mill, daily activities a hundred years ago, (I cure my own hams, and bacon, make sausages (both fresh and cured), smoke meats (poultry etc) and cheeses...and generally try to find ways to feed a large family on a minimal budget. Today I am preparing some Thai style fresh sausages (coriander, cumin, sweet chilli sauce, mushroom, garlic, 2/3 pork 1/3 beef), for tomorrow, and smoking/slow cooking lamb breast (takes about 6 hours, at 100 Degrees C )...Well, that's enough about me big_smile I guess I will just hover around and have a look at some of the chef recipes while waiting for my diced pork shoulder to re-chill, before its foray into the meat grinder wink

Likes (0)

#4252 Wed 12 Sep 12 10:23am

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forums - would love to some pics of your cured meats

Cheers

Danny : )

Likes (0)

#4253 Wed 12 Sep 12 6:29pm

Glen10

Member since Thu 06 Sep 12

Maree

Thanks for your sourdough suggestions. I'm reluctant to use a bread machine. I have been experimenting with 'no knead' methods.
I've realised that with some needing and a much longer time frame (~18 hours) overall that this can give a good result.
I need to plan the timings carefully but I can achieve a loaf in the morning!
All the best x

Likes (0)

#4254 Fri 14 Sep 12 12:46am

Ice Mark

Member since Thu 13 Sep 12

Hi Jamie and everyone else on the forum. I am Ice Mark, I live in Ireland and took up cooking and baking about 2 years ago and I love it, it's so relaxing and satisfying. Anyway I've googled recipes and/or help with things and always end up at your wonderful website
so I decided it was time to join and hopefully contribute instead of just taking (I might have along way to go before I am up to scratch. Love all your shows.
Regards
Ice Mark  javascript:emoticon('thumbsup')

Likes (0)

#4255 Fri 14 Sep 12 2:07am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome here Ice Mark! smile

Likes (0)

#4256 Fri 14 Sep 12 12:57pm

robbie86

Member since Fri 14 Sep 12

Hi,

Great Forum.

Likes (0)

#4257 Fri 14 Sep 12 2:10pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Cheers Robbie! Jump on in! cool

Likes (0)

#4258 Fri 14 Sep 12 2:39pm

nez70

Member since Fri 14 Sep 12

Hi,

I'm trying to get a company called Eurest to never run a staff canteen ever again. I work at Heathrow Airport and the staff canteens run by said company produce the WORST food ever in the history of canteen food...The ingredients are the cheapest available, its poorly prepared and even more poorly presented.
For example a chicken casserole was actually roast chicken (looking very dried), covered in tinned tomatoes!!! Thats it. Full price for such a wonderful meal 9.05 GBP.
The company have ignored all complaints over 15 years. Has anyone out there dealt with a similar problem...

Help me Jamie Oliver, your my only hope!

Neil

Likes (0)

#4259 Tue 18 Sep 12 8:55pm

noahk

Member since Tue 18 Sep 12

Hi Jamie,

I am so excited to see your magazine coming to Canada and the rest of North America!!

Likes (0)

#4260 Tue 18 Sep 12 10:24pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Hello and welcome to our new forum members

cheers from Danny

Likes (0)