Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 13 Sep 12 5:30pm

Boogibuns

Member since Thu 13 Sep 12

Chorizo is a pain!

Hello! I have issues with bloomin chorizo...I find recipes I would really like to try but they have the offending ingredient in them.
puke  puke

I'm vegetarian, which generally isn't an issue when trying out new recipes I can generally find a suitable replacement.

But not for chorizo as the oil is as important as the actual 'meat' in a lot of recipes.

So, can anyone suggest an alternative.....and no, not one suggesting I become a carnivore!!

Help!

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 13 Sep 12 6:04pm

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

Re: Chorizo is a pain!

Fear not boogiebuns, for help is at hand. Depending on the recipe, the lovely red colouration often eked from the chorizo can be replicated with paprika, maybe with some smoked paprika mixed in; a slosh of red wine, a bit of sugar and dense meat substitute l ike quorn if you like.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 13 Sep 12 6:29pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 13 Sep 12 6:44pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Pakman, you beat me to it tongue i.e....phamfatale

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 13 Sep 12 8:23pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

No reason to hate the chorizo, step away and take a breath.  It's really quite delicious and not for a moment at fault for your vegetarianism.

The oil is very important but you can make your own oil that will slightly resemble it.  Crush a couple of garlic cloves into a sauce pan and sweat lightly until they release their aroma.  Add a few chili flakes for heat, a tsp of smoked paprika and then pour in a half cup of olive oil.  Keep the temperature on very very low for about 30min and then remove from the heat and let it cool.  Strain and use instead of chorizo.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 14 Sep 12 8:49am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

koukouvagia wrote:

No reason to hate the chorizo, step away and take a breath.  It's really quite delicious and not for a moment at fault for your vegetarianism.

lol  lol  lol  lol

That was so funny Koukou!

I was going to suggest the paprika oil thing too, but everyones beat me to it! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 14 Sep 12 8:28pm

Boogibuns

Member since Thu 13 Sep 12

Just to say a huuuuuuge thank you for all your suggestions.....

I no longer hate the chorizo, all is forgiven  thumbsup

Cheers.  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 14 Sep 12 11:37pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

wave
Enjoy your chorizo Boogibuns!

Likes (0)