forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 19 Sep 12 4:02pm

shabana

Member since Wed 19 Sep 12

Re: Pestle and mortar

I have a JO pestle and mortar and have recently dropped the pestle on the floor and it has smashed in two.  Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement pestle from?
Thanks,

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 20 Sep 12 2:54pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

shabana wrote:

I have a JO pestle and mortar and have recently dropped the pestle on the floor and it has smashed in two.  Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement pestle from?
Thanks,

If it is broken cleanly in 2 you can glue it together with crazy glue.  The same thing happened to my pestle and after gluing it back together it's just as good as new.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 30 Nov 12 2:12am

Toby'sMom

Member since Fri 30 Nov 12

Hello all,

I recently attended a class on making chocolate. We used a granite mortar and pestle to crush cacao nibs and the mortar was heated up. It was warm and remained warm for about 15 minutes. Does anyone know of a way to safely heat a mortar? I did purchase one from the Jamie Oliver brand and I want to know how to do heat it up. Can I put it in my oven? If so, how long and to what degree?

Thanks I would love any advice.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 30 Nov 12 3:29am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Shabana , welcome to the forum  smile

I am not sure where to buy just the pestle part from , you could try eBay !
You might be able to get a spare part if you wrote  to the company that supplies the one you bought.
If you want to try glueing it , you would have to be careful  what type of glue you used and it would have to be one suitable for the type of material used to make the pastel and mortar . Also you would have to make sure that the glue is safe for use near food.

If it were me I might just find a wooden pestle that I could use .even the end of an old wooden rolling pin might work .

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 30 Nov 12 7:37am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Toby'sMom wrote:

Hello all,

I recently attended a class on making chocolate. We used a granite mortar and pestle to crush cacao nibs and the mortar was heated up. It was warm and remained warm for about 15 minutes. Does anyone know of a way to safely heat a mortar? I did purchase one from the Jamie Oliver brand and I want to know how to do heat it up. Can I put it in my oven? If so, how long and to what degree?

I'd try filling it with boiling water and leaving it to warm through, then tipping the water out and drying it.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 30 Nov 12 12:28pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum Toby'sMom smile

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Toby'sMom wrote:

Hello all,

I'd try filling it with boiling water and leaving it to warm through, then tipping the water out and drying it.

I think if it was me , I would also fill it with hot water .
What did the suggest you do at the class you went to ?
Easiest thing might be to contact them and see what they do .

I would not put it in the oven as if you do not know how it is made , if there are any minute cracks that may expand in oven heating or if there are any air pockets I. The stone .
I know From things i have read that Sometimes when people decide to use a granite floor tile in the oven as a pizza stone it occasionally explodes in the oven. Due to a tiny flaw somewhere .

You could always check on the ox to see if its recommended  for oven heating , if it was then it would probably be mentioned on the box, or in the usage instructions.
I realise that you might mot have the box still , so you might need a trip or phone call to the shop to where they are sold to check this out .

Last edited by mummza (Fri 30 Nov 12 12:29pm)

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 30 Nov 12 1:19pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Put it in the microwave, I've done it with small pizza stones and it works a charm.

Likes (0)