forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#351 Mon 17 Sep 12 12:58pm

bbqislands

Member since Mon 17 Sep 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hey Jamie please tell me which types of food are cooked on each of the levels in the oven? I am so confused always by this.

Likes (0)

#352 Mon 17 Sep 12 1:20pm

ilovefewd

Member since Tue 20 Sep 11

Hi Jaime!

I want to cook a tart for my dad's birthday but I need to make Pate Sucree for the base. The recipe I found requires a food processor which I don't have yet and can't quite afford this month... and the models they have here in Hong Kong kind of suck unless you want to spend a million kajillion dollars. Can you give some tips as to how I might be able to make Pate Sucree without one?

Many thanks!

Desiree

P.S. My dad's birthday is on the 24th Sept smile

Likes (0)

#353 Thu 20 Sep 12 12:24am

bubblygirl.roxx

Member since Wed 05 Sep 12

Okay, well I have a Home Economics breakfast assessment due soon and I can't decide what to do. It has to have four components, Dairy, Meat, Fruit or Vege. and Egg. It also needs to be done it approximately 30 mins and be served with a beverage. I'm in year 9 and looking for something simple but will be slightly challenging. That's quite a requirement but thanks anyway. smile

Juliette. x

Likes (0)

#354 Fri 21 Sep 12 1:12am

WelshGriff

Member since Tue 28 Aug 12

Hey Jamie
Heared you are opening your Dundrum restaurant in Ireland, wish you all the luck in the world fella. Stop by with us for a bite to eat at the Bridge Tavern in Wicklow Town for a bit of grub and a proper pint!!! yummy

Likes (0)

#355 Fri 21 Sep 12 4:59am

RebeccaBourhill

Occupation Student wanna be chef
From Rustenberg, South Africa
Member since Mon 30 Aug 10

bubblygirl.roxx wrote:

Okay, well I have a Home Economics breakfast assessment due soon and I can't decide what to do. It has to have four components, Dairy, Meat, Fruit or Vege. and Egg. It also needs to be done it approximately 30 mins and be served with a beverage. I'm in year 9 and looking for something simple but will be slightly challenging. That's quite a requirement but thanks anyway. smile

Juliette. x

Hi there, Juliette,

I am not Jamie but I am also very passionate about cooking! I am about your age I think! I am in Grade 9 in South Africa, I am taking hospitality next year in grade 10!

By the sounds of things this seems like quite a challenging assignment!
I was thinking maybe you could do eggs bennidict (poached egg with hollendaise) with Salmon as your protein, Spinich as your veg, and maybe a bacon frothed milk as your dairy. Served with a slice of toast. Smoothies are really quick so what about a strawberry smoothie!

I do realize that time is a restriction but you could maybe just swop something out for something else.

Best of luck! I will be thinking of you!

Rebecca

Likes (0)

#356 Fri 21 Sep 12 8:46am

foodiepinki

Occupation Asst Manager HR
From India
Member since Sat 25 Aug 12

Hi Jamie
I am Priyanka from India. Hope you are doing good

Jamie I pure Vegan (  not even eggetarian) . Can pls let me know  egg substitute for cakes & meringue. We in India have very different concept of desserts and sweet dishes , but really want to learn cakes, meringue, custard,cannot try these things because of use of egg
Pls help me as I have tried my hands on different recipes but results have not  been good. Hope to hear from you

Thanks
Warm Regards
Priyanka

Likes (0)

#357 Fri 21 Sep 12 9:08am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

RebeccaBourhill wrote:

bubblygirl.roxx wrote:

Juliette. x

Hi there, Juliette,

I am not Jamie but I am also very passionate about cooking! I am about your age I think! I am in Grade 9 in South Africa, I am taking hospitality next year in grade 10!

By the sounds of things this seems like quite a challenging assignment!
I was thinking maybe you could do eggs bennidict (poached egg with hollendaise) with Salmon as your protein, Spinich as your veg, and maybe a bacon frothed milk as your dairy. Served with a slice of toast. Smoothies are really quick so what about a strawberry smoothie!

I do realize that time is a restriction but you could maybe just swop something out for something else.

Best of luck! I will be thinking of you!

Rebecca

well in 30 minutes, I cant think of a better suggestion than Rebeccas´, but I am sure if Jamie would have time answering we´d all get an Ahhaa! emotion cause isn´t he the 30-minute meal expert?

I would have suggestions if there was no meat. But I dont know anything about meat.

Likes (0)

#358 Fri 21 Sep 12 9:12am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

bbqislands wrote:

Hey Jamie please tell me which types of food are cooked on each of the levels in the oven? I am so confused always by this.

it depends on the oven, if it is gas, flan, electric or wood-fired ( like a country stove). It takes some trying and learning, I usually bake flatbread first in a new oven. I am just learning to know my new electric oven as well and it is quite tricky. I am used to gas oven. but lower racks bake from below, upper racks from above, center cooks evenly. so dishes that take a long time should be in the center. flatbread usually second from below on high heat. real bread ( in a tin) on third rack, covered with folium. dont put anything too high up, it will burn from the surface. how many levels do you have in general? I have 5.

Likes (0)

#359 Fri 21 Sep 12 2:12pm

ryan85

Member since Fri 21 Sep 12

Hi Jamie and forum members,

Does anybody know how to make a good balsamic vinegar pasta sauce/dressing?

I recently ordered a "tagliolini balsamico" dish at an italian restaurant which consisted of pancetta, pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes, porcini mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. It was the tastiest pasta dish I've had in a long time! I really want to replicate it but  I can't find any similar recipes on the internet. I'm scared to try and cowboy the recipe because vinegar is such a powerful flavour and can easily ruin a dish if you over do it in my opinion.

Does anybody have any experience with balsamic vinegar based pasta dishes? Does the vinegar need to be cooked/reduced first? Any tips/suggestions/recipes will be greatly appreciated!

Ry

Likes (0)

#360 Fri 21 Sep 12 4:56pm

Nana dotty

Member since Fri 21 Sep 12

Hi Jamie, I've been catching up on some reruns of your fab show 30 minute meals. Since watching these shows the first time I have discovered that citrus I.e. any lemon juice or rind, lime juice or rind and orange rind but not the juice (strange I know) all trigger my migraine. This makes life hellish when I'm eating out and buying anything ready made, it's a nightmare citrus is everywhere. I hadn't realised how much lemon you use in everything. What I would like to know is there anything I could use in place of all the citrus you use.

Hope you can advise.

Thanks Janet
crossed

Likes (0)