Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 20 Sep 12 4:28am

Beefguy

Member since Thu 20 Sep 12

LFTB

Mr Oliver, You are an excellent cook and have done a great deal of good work. However, there is one area that you should be greatly ashamed. The explanation you gave on your show in explaining LFTB was deplorable and a massive misinformation or an outright  lie. You are largely responsible for destroying an excellent business, causing better than 700 people to lose their jobs and to cost the U.S. consumers roughly 2% of the domestic beef supply. LFTB is a good product, is has an impeccable safety record, it is wholesome and enables processors an economical means of increasing the blend point on ground beef making more protein available to more consumers.
It is one thing to make the gross misrepresentation of the product that you did. It is another to know the facts and make no effort to apologize or correct your statements. You just sit back and watch honest, hard working people go unemployed.
Where is your sense of responsibility?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 20 Sep 12 9:35am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: LFTB

My first and last post on this thread as I am tired of the trolling.

Far more jobs will be created to provide the   ground beef needed to cover demand, so the unemployment issue is a null point. As far as misrepresentation of this product goes, the industry really went out of its way to make sure the public wasn't informed because the process just is not appetizing to the general public.
I have no sympathy for them, and find their  claim that it is just the same as conventionally ground beef , patently ridiculous.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#3 Thu 20 Sep 12 9:47am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Well put Ashen  clap  clap  clap

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 22 Sep 12 2:45pm

Beefguy

Member since Thu 20 Sep 12

The loss of LFTB has caused a 2% reduction in the domestic US beef supply that in turn has increased prices for ground beef. Ground beef accounts for better than 50% of total domestic beef consumption. By grossly misrepresenting the facts Jamie Oliver's cheap representation of the facts have hurt the very people he is proposing to help.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 22 Sep 12 3:28pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Actually you don't know what your talking about as most of the beef is beef people.

Jamie's show had no effect on the beef industry look at the timeline....
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/09/b … F2511E4HSg

The poop hit the fan when ABC aired a the topic almost a full year after Jamie's episode aired. Trying to blame Jamie for asking the American people to care about what their children eat at school is (choose your own word).

As well as he says "this is what I IMAGINE the process to be" before he starts his demonstration and during the demonstration he continually states that he doesn't know the exact process or quantities used. 

Moo.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 22 Sep 12 3:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Apparently, ground beef prices already had gone up higher than the rate of inflation back in 2009, despite having this product that supposedly lowers the cost to consumers.  The price for extra-lean ground beef with LFTB in it was not lower, from what I could tell, than other ground beef.  I'm just curious, did the addition of this product actually lower the cost to the consumer ever?

I've see several articles stating that the drought that affected corn crops is one of the main reasons for recent beef price increases.

Whatever the product is called, the process is not appealing to consumers.  I think consumers didn't like that there was no labeling of use of this product.  When I compare prices of products I buy, I take a lot of factors into consideration.  I would be willing to pay more for beef that didn't contain LFTB, but how would I know if it's not labeled?  It takes the choice away from the consumer.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 22 Sep 12 5:30pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 22 Sep 12 3:45pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

thumbsup

MsP

Last edited by Pakman (Sat 22 Sep 12 3:53pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 23 Sep 12 2:22pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Health and safety is people's first priority.  It hasn't always been that way but it's starting to be that way now and there's no going back from it.  It is impossible for educated people to stay in the dark if they want a better product. 

Since watching the movie Food Inc., I have never again bought ground beef from my grocery store.  I always buy a piece of chuck at the butchers and watch as they grind it for me.  End of.

Likes (0)