forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 24 Sep 12 7:02pm

Antasto

Member since Sat 14 Jul 12

meat roulade

Hi peeps, I have a question about meaty roulades in general. I have never cooked one before so I had a look at a few recipes online. I have found one I like but - and I quote - when it comes to roll the roulade it says "Using the cling film as a guide roll the meat together forming a sausage shape. Secure the ends by twisting, then wrap in foil" and then cook in the oven with some water at 190C for reference this is the recipe http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/t … de-recipe.
I wonder, is this common when cooking a roulade to actually cook the meat rolled in cling film? Does it not melt in the oven?
thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 24 Sep 12 7:14pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: meat roulade

Hi Antasto, i cant view the link posted, i have seen others that use the same method though. I have never done it myself, i have rolled meat (fresh) in cling film, left the meat in the freeze to take form and then tranferred the shaped meat from the film to roll again in foil.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 24 Sep 12 7:24pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I've seen cling wrap used on pans under the foil to help keep the moisture in, but I have never used cling wrap in the oven myself.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 24 Sep 12 7:53pm

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

I could imagine using aluminium foil, but not cling film.
I don't know exactly what you have in mind, when talking about meaty roulades.
The ones that I know are either held together with metal skewers or are wrapped naturally, like in cabbage: http://chris-cookingaroundtheworld.blog … e-for.html

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 24 Sep 12 10:47pm

Kye

Forum super champ

christian wave

We use wooden skewers with the smaller rolled meats and also wrap cabbage around large meat balls hand rolled, they are delicious.

Our poster has a roulade in mind, the size of a small loaf of bread hmm

Roulade is to roll flattened meats around other ingredients, mushrooms, various herbs, prunes. If game we use black cherries, figs...
Once the meat is flat, no matter how many pieces over lay(overlap) each other, we lay the filling over finely and roll the meat as tight as possible...cooking string is used to tie the whole together...we start at the center of the loaf, make a knot then take the string to the sides and turn as when gift wrapping smile the string can be twirled over and secured at one end.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 24 Sep 12 11:06pm

Antasto

Member since Sat 14 Jul 12

thanks for that. Sorry the recipe is here http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes then if you search for venison roulade is the 6th from the top, doesn't let me use a direct link.
I thought aluminium foil to be a better idea but they seem to use cling film and then wrap everything in aluminium foil. I have seen other recipes - not roulade - using cling film in boiling water but I always been a bit sceptical. ALthough in the roulade the tray is filled with water apparently and then placed in the oven

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 25 Sep 12 12:01am

Kye

Forum super champ

To continue  hmm in my kitchen, the roulade is seized on all sides in a very little oil and butter, i add for white meat roulades a half bottle of dry white wine in a casserole, add herbs, mushrooms, pepper then allow the roulade to absorbe slowly those ingredients...at the end i may make a roux to have a thicker sauce, to serve with pasta or fresh vegs mixed with a basmati..... yummy

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 25 Sep 12 12:56am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Go Kye!  cool

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 25 Sep 12 6:18am

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

smile Hello Kye!

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 25 Sep 12 9:50am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

The method in the original post is quite valid.  The water that is added keeps the temp of the rolled meat below 212 F and it shouldn't melt.    I have even seen cling film used in  whole pig BBQ application.

http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/wh … -on-a-spit

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)