forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#691 Wed 26 Sep 12 12:41am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Wouldn't it be cool?

Min, pumpkins have so many varieties, maybe you just need to find a different one? I grew up on Queensland Blue, but as soon as I tasted Butternut (which we call a pumpkin here) I never ate it again. My other favourite is what we call Jap - hmm just looked it up and it is a squash too: a Japanese squash called kabocha. Maybe I am with you, and don't like pumpkins! whistle

Edit: But PS here is a run down of so many types! http://www.allaboutpumpkins.com/varieties.html  smile

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Wed 26 Sep 12 12:42am)

Likes (0)

#692 Wed 26 Sep 12 9:30am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Joy, I think that is my favourite too.. Kobocha , specifically the Sweet mama hybrid variety of kobocha   , it is even better than the  buttercup  hobocha hybrid   ..  So tasty.  yummy  yummy  yummy

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#693 Wed 26 Sep 12 2:02pm

francesca italy

Member since Wed 26 Sep 12

In autumn and winter I like to cook pumpkin and porro cream!

Likes (0)

#694 Wed 26 Sep 12 11:06pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I love pumpkin. Or Squash. Like 2 others the Jap/kabocha is a favourite.

I grow butternut though

This year I'm going to grow spaghetti squash

Joy. Are all varieties of pumpkin & squash expensive down  south? These last monthes they have been asking $3.99 per kilo. Usually during this time it is well under a dollar per kilo. 

My fave thing is to simply roast chunks of it until they are tender & slightly blackened.  Sooo good.

Likes (0)

#695 Thu 27 Sep 12 2:42am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

My memory is a sieve Frizz, but I think I gasped at the price a couple of weeks ago. I bet all this water means they haven't been able to keep well. Just found my docket from yesterday: Jap at $3.59 a kilo (I bought a piece without checking the price - oops!). That is expensive! I'll eat my pumpkin risotto with due reverence!

Likes (0)

#696 Thu 27 Sep 12 8:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

francesca italy wrote:

In autumn and winter I like to cook pumpkin and porro cream!

Welcome to the forum Francesca Italy . That's interesting , what is Porto pease and how do you make the icecream.
I am interested in learning about how you use the pumpkin like this.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#697 Thu 27 Sep 12 9:52pm

francesca italy

Porro is a vegetable, sweeter than a onion, is long,white inside and green outside. I think in english is leek.
I cook the cream in this way: in a saucepan I put oil. After one minute add sliced leeks and I cook for 5 minuts. Then I ampdd sliced pumpkin and I add water. It must be cooked untill the vegetables are soft. I add salt and pepper and than cream.
Now I whip and I cook for 10 minutes. At the end if you want you can add extravergin oil and parmesan.
I'm very sorry about my english, I know that is not good, and sometimes I write something wrong, but I love Jamie Oliver and I follow his forumevery day and when I came in London I buy his magazine!

Likes (0)

#698 Thu 27 Sep 12 9:56pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

this is the best place to learn English, writing and reading sometimes mixed with Italian words to let everybody learn something e non addormentarsi wink  lol

Likes (0)

#699 Thu 27 Sep 12 10:00pm

francesca italy

Grand_Ma wrote:

this is the best place to learn English, writing and reading sometimes mixed with Italian words to let everybody learn something e non addormentarsi wink  lol

And so I can say molto bene!
mrgreen

Likes (0)

#700 Thu 27 Sep 12 10:16pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

they already know also the words campo and orto very well, sometimes stumble on fettuccini but are ready to learn more wink

Likes (0)