Subscribe to forums RSS

#371 Fri 28 Sep 12 2:27am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Ask me a cooking question

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

I was thinking the same, but I was afraid it will bloat too much, get watery yknow. But I suppose it is quite a hard grain, it doesnt perhaps bloat all that easily.

Give it a try Redfox, the brown rice I buy works really well doing that way. I like my rice soft, but still each grain standing separate and fluffy. I can get it like that this way. (But I haven't done it for a while, and I can't remember how much time it takes). smile

Likes (0)

#372 Fri 28 Sep 12 2:46am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I was given a rice cooker as a house warming gift. It takes 15-20 mins depending on how much rice I'm cooking. I remove what's needed for the meal and let the rest cool and then I put it into ziplock bags and stash in the freezer.

Prior rice cooker I just used the absorption method for cooking rice and the 'knuckle" trick to guage the amount of water/stock to add. Only took about 15-20 mins from memory.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#373 Fri 28 Sep 12 7:10am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

I really want one of those....my mom gets me so much different rice and grain (Einkorn, Spelt, quinoa) from her office - the ones they discard from shop cause they have the wrong label or something - which are usually very expensive but she gets them for free. So that I make some grain-vegetable dish every day.
soaking does work with einkorn, the ancient grain, it is very hard and cooks long but soaking overnight it only took 25 min to cook. man, I really want a rice cooker. I am such a jap-kor kitchen fanatic as well - bowl or rice, vegetables and fish. all I need. and an egg on top.
I made space in the fridge and Ill put the remaining einkorn there later. working 12 h a day I really dont have the time to cook each morning.

Last edited by RedfoxEstonia (Fri 28 Sep 12 7:11am)

Likes (0)

#374 Fri 28 Sep 12 11:43am

guillermops

Member since Fri 28 Sep 12

Hi Jamie,

I am new to the forums!
Here is my question: I am lately reading more and more in many cooking sites specially in reviews, that some food has been "enthused" with some herb. Can you please give us some clarification on what that might mean?
Thank you in advance,
Will

Likes (0)

#375 Fri 28 Sep 12 12:41pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Hi, Will, welcome to the forums.

"Enthused" to me means enlivened or jazzed up.

Any other thoughts to help out here, guys?

Likes (0)

#376 Fri 28 Sep 12 12:55pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Hi, again, RedfoxEstonia. Yes, rice cookers are brilliant thumbsup

The other night I had jasmine rice ready to "go" / turn on and had an unexpected invite out.

Forgot about the rice, except to drain and refrigerate when I got home. Went to cook it the next night and it was like "mush". Jasmine rice is a fairly soft rice. I used it for breakfast the next morning with some rhubarb and apple compote I'd made before.

Soaking, after rinsing well, may be your answer to cooking the hard ancient grains but you will need to be vigilant so you don't end up with mush like I did.

That applies whether you use a saucepan or a rice cooker.

Hope this has been of some use  crossed

Likes (0)

#377 Fri 28 Sep 12 7:33pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

Maree wrote:

Hope this has been of some use  crossed

Of course! thank you!

Likes (0)

#378 Fri 28 Sep 12 8:05pm

dylanoscar1234

Member since Fri 28 Sep 12

Hi There,
            My question is how the hell can we change hospital food, I lost my Nana last week. It is a long story but she went in to hospital as she was not eating. I was discusted at the food they were serving so on top of not wanting to eat she was being feed pure crap!. little to say she did not eat.
          On top of everything my Grandfather has now been taken into hospital. I tried his food today and almost threw up. How can they serve this food to sick people and get away with it.
         Please help me do something before it is to late for many people. help  help  help  help  help  help  help

Likes (0)

#379 Sun 30 Sep 12 5:58pm

rachaelhamilton

Member since Sun 30 Sep 12

Hi Jamie,

Ive made your butternut squash muffins lots of times.......

The icing really doesn't set, I went as far as making it the night before and putting it in the fridge, it still didn't set. 

Is there something missing from the icing recipe? 

I love your work and good luck for the new 15 min book!  I look forward to reading and baking from it!

rach x clap

Likes (0)

#380 Mon 01 Oct 12 6:22pm

banwellks

Member since Mon 01 Oct 12

Hello I was planning to have guests over on Saturday but my son was unfortunately unwell and all was cancelled. I am now left with a large tub of double cream and I don't want to waste it.
On the tub it says i can freeze it when whipped - have you tried this does it taste ok when thawed ? And should I whip it and freeze in small "dollops" ?!!
Thanks for any advice x
Suzie xo

Last edited by banwellks (Mon 01 Oct 12 6:29pm)

Likes (0)