forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 27 Sep 12 8:06pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Jamie's Fifteen Minute Meals

I am looking forward very much to this coming out, and hope that I won't be as disappointed by it as I was by 30 Minute Meals.  I hasten to add that the only reason I was disappointed by 30 Minute Meals was by the short-cuts with ready-made wheat items, which meant that I had to make everything myself in advance  hmm   Turned out to be 30 minutes if I'd made the varying items the day before, but more like 2 - 3 hours if not.

Having said which, many of the meals were adaptable to simply not using elements, but it's been a lot of work and time sorting these out, and I fear the new one may well be the same for many of us coeliacs and other allergy sufferers ...

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 28 Sep 12 2:15am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Loved reading the reviews! Thanks Dave!
Since my limitation is a need to do everything slowly, often with rests inbetween steps, I won't try to do any meal in 15 minutes. But I am keen to try them as simple, delicious meals that will be relatively quick by my own standards! cool

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 28 Sep 12 1:11pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Hi guys

Here is some interesting news regarding "product placement" a new form of subliminal advertising being used currently in the UK.

Apparently there are two companies that will have their products placed in the 15 min meal series when it airs on tv later this year.

I have used Uncle Bens Rice and Yeo Valley Yoghurts and they are both good products. But what do you guys think of this sort of product advertising?

Read the article here

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/ … ement.html

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 28 Sep 12 1:16pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

Celebrity Chef Cook Book sales over the last 10 years!

I have no idea how accurate these sales figures are (or not) but this is an interesting read!.... go Jamie!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive … books.html

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 29 Sep 12 10:31am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Dave Barker wrote:

Hi guys

Here is some interesting news regarding "product placement" a new form of subliminal advertising being used currently in the UK.

Apparently there are two companies that will have their products placed in the 15 min meal series when it airs on tv later this year.

I have used Uncle Bens Rice and Yeo Valley Yoghurts and they are both good products. But what do you guys think of this sort of product advertising?

Read the article here

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/ … ement.html

I didn't mind the use of pataks in ministry of food; it was obviously a commercial arrangement but they do a good product and i use them a fair bit because they save time and i think ultimately get people into using more fresh food. I also think it was good that it was balanced with actually recipes for making pastes from scratch.

Haven't seen any of the series yet. I think it's better when it's obvious and where there is an alternative product people can use. I think i recall in 30 minute meals him saying "or any...".

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 04 Oct 12 10:50pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The videos of people making Jamie's recipes are interesting to watch.  I had to stop though when I saw one person making serious hygiene mistakes while cooking with raw chicken.  I think some people are rushing too much, making the 15-minute timeframe more important than getting out a good, safe product.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 04 Oct 12 11:00pm)

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 05 Oct 12 11:02am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

That is a good point MsPablo!

What is the big rush anyway? that's the only thing I don't get! cooking should be enjoyable shouldn't it? Why make it soooo stressfull?

I get the kids home from school, get their homework done with them, Leo does guitar practice every night then they read for 15 mins each... I cook while we are doing this! the kitchen becomes a family room for an hour each evening while i cook the dinner... it's a nice family enviroment... its the true heart of the house... and the kids have grown up with cooking and food all around them, not dad (or mum) being locked in the kitchen for 15 mins while they stress out and tear around like crazy to get a meal thrown together as fast as possible!

food should be slow, it should be enjoyed! the cooking, and eating of it... in my mind, who cares that it takes an hour?... as long as you all had fun cooking it and the end result is good! (and prepared safely)

I think im missing the point of Jamies fast food books!

Someone please enlighten me!

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 05 Oct 12 2:45pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

I rarely look at the clock when cooking a meal from 30-minutes. If I do, Iīm just interested to see whether I make the "30-minutes-line" or not, but I donīt rush myself. I didnīt check the clock when I cooked the ricotta fritters from the new book for the first time.

For me, the time it takes to cook a fresh meal does make a huge difference. My OH is working three shifts (early, late and night), itīs mainly the late shift that is a problem, especially in the winter. I have to cook in advance for him to heat it up when he gets home OR it does have to be a QUICK to cook dinner when being freshly cooked.

Not every meal tastes good when being heated up, no matter whether this happens via microwave or steamer. And you donīt want to eat the same dishes all year, so I hope the new book gives me ideas for new meals that I can cook and maybe even ones for my OH to eat fresh from the cooker, so to speak!

love
Maddi

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 05 Oct 12 4:12pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

It's great to have new, quick ideas.  Jamie and the two food stylists who developed the book also mentioned that a lot of thought went in to making the meals nutritious and balanced with the help of a nutritionist.  Those are all good things, but the people in the videos look rushed and as if they're trying to beat the clock.  They're not concentrating on the cooking process, they're concentrating on the timeframes.  A good example is that apparently the book recommends putting each lamb meatball into a hot frying pan as they are made, rather than making them all up and then placing them in the pan.  I think one man forgot the oil until all the meatballs were in the pan and beginning to stick.  He saved them and all seemed fine.  My point here is, I would not enjoy cooking like that.  I would rather make up all the meatballs while the pan's getting hot, put the oil in, then add the meatballs at one time so that it simply makes it easier to watch that pan while doing the next step.

I would like to see some of the tips for saving time and some of the ideas, but I am definitely not going to change some of the ways that I do things in the kitchen that I feel are practical and more enjoyable than basically having your head spinning as you wing this and that and make a giant mess in your kitchen.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 05 Oct 12 4:15pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 05 Oct 12 6:08pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

Yeah... 15 minutes to cook and an hour to clean up all the destruction caused to get it on the plate in time!

I think I will take my time and continue do things sensibly thanks!

Likes (0)